Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Year Out - When To Get Alterations

I am picking up my dress next Saturday. Our wedding is not until September 2011.

I am not wanting to loose weight and I have not bought shoes or any undergarments for the dress yet since I still have a year. until the wedding.

When should I look into getting my dress altered? 6 months before? Later, earlier?

Thanks ladies!
Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Year Out - When To Get Alterations

• Options
    You got it, about 4-6 mos out is good. I personally only had one fitting, but I know other ladies had talked of having several. Only one was needed for me. I went it, he took measurements and did it. I went back in, tried it on, it was perfect and I was done. However, make sure you take your shoes & any undergarments to your first fitting so they can take accurate measurements.
  • Options
    I ordered my dress in December 2009 for my August 2010 wedding, so my timeframe was a little shorter than yours, but my bridal store started my alterations mid-May.  I would recommend talking to the people doing your alterations and seeing when they recommend you start. Even though you aren't planning on losing/gaining weight, things happen (especially in the stress of wedding planning!) and you wouldn't want to have to have to have it altered again closer to your date if you start too early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kmabjokmabjo member
    First Comment
    Sounds good, thanks so much ladies! I appreciate it!
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    my alterations person said 3 to 4 months out.
  • Options
    That actually sounds like an extremely long time to me--I didn't start fittings until 2.5 months out. If you're planning on losing weight, you should probably wait until a few months out to start, so that you won't change much. But contact the seamstress you plan to use in order to get a better estimate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards