Illinois-Chicago

Poll: Are you taking a new last name?

One of the girls in my office is getting married in 2012 and recently we discussed if she'd take her husbands last name.  What'd you decide to do?

Re: Poll: Are you taking a new last name?

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My legal maiden name was hypenated and was always a mouthful to say (5 syllables, first of the names was polish); so I gladly took on H's last name (technically 3 syllables, but usually pronounced as just two).

Plus, I have a ton of boy cousins on both of my parents sizes who will pass on my maiden last names
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took K's last name and dropped my maiden name all together. It was hard to pronounce and I really didn't want to have 2 middle names.

It takes awhile to get used to the new name though!!!
  • ARJ6511ARJ6511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took H's new name and kept my middle name. I like that we are starting our own family. 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took my H's name, but I use both names for work.
  • I honestly am still not 100% sure what I want to do.  I'm going back and forth with hyphenating or making my maiden name my middle name.
    I'm the last "maiden name" in my family and it's hard for me to let that go.  
    0637_IMG_9731 Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am taking FI's name and adding my maiden name to my middle name. So it'll be amber (middle name)-(maiden name) (FI's last name).
    My reasons are hard to explain.
    At first FI was kind of upset but then realized that his last name was still going to be my last name and our kids would also have his last name...then he was okay with it... The male brain takes a bit longer to process things lol Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I kept my name of origin. At first I thought I'd add my husband's on to the end of mine, but I've decided that I've made too much of a professional reputation under my original name and it's so much easier not to change anything. And I'm really happy right now with that decision.
  • I am keeping my middle name as-is, dropping my maiden name, and adding my new husband's (ahh!) last name.  I need to figure out how to do it, though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_poll-taking-new-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:899e3d96-2aca-4b28-bb5d-3899f671a6a9Post:25fe19b3-837d-473d-9e03-2cad51ffd96d">Re: Poll: Are you taking a new last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am keeping my middle name as-is, dropping my maiden name, and adding my new husband's (ahh!) last name.  I need to figure out how to do it, though!
    Posted by TEA&Co[/QUOTE]

Eeek! Yea!  It's really quite easy; do you have a copy of your marriage license?  If I remember correctly (although I was married in IA), I first put my new name on the marriage license and once you receive the official copy, then fill out the SS form for a new card
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_poll-taking-new-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:899e3d96-2aca-4b28-bb5d-3899f671a6a9Post:25fe19b3-837d-473d-9e03-2cad51ffd96d">Re: Poll: Are you taking a new last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am keeping my middle name as-is, dropping my maiden name, and adding my new husband's (ahh!) last name.  I need to figure out how to do it, though!
    Posted by TEA&Co[/QUOTE]
    This is what I did...when you go to the SS office they will ask you what you want to use as your middle name and you can just tell them you're keeping your middle name and dropping your maiden name.
    I did the SS office first and then the DMV and then my banks/loans/etc. good luck!
  • Ditto PP's--starting with the SS office is best. I'm still changing my name on some of my unoften used cc'd. What a PITA!
  • I voted other because I'm keeping my last name, but I'm trying to convience FI to take my last name, but he's agreed to let our children, if any take my last name (I'm not sure if this is legal or not, but that's what we're going with at this point).

I have multiple reasons for wanting him to take my last name: I am the only one left in my family w/ my last name, so I'd love to keep my family name alive by passing it onto my children (FI has four male family members with his last name to carry it on); I am a doctor and I've been published, so changing my name would be difficult for my career; I don't like hyphenating because I think it gets too difficult and wordy, but I'd love to feel more like a "family" by having the same name.  If he won't change it, in the end it won't be that big of a deal, but I'm still working on him ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • I can't decide. I am the last one in my family with my name and no boys to pass it on. I probably won't be passing it on to my kids but would like to keep it. I was thinking of hyphenating but my fiancee's last name is already hyphenated. I am trying to get him to drop the first half as it is really unnecessary...it's complicated. Tough decision

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_poll-taking-new-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:899e3d96-2aca-4b28-bb5d-3899f671a6a9Post:df3186e2-ecbd-4173-a11b-d768015a51de">Re: Poll: Are you taking a new last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't decide. I am the last one in my family with my name and no boys to pass it on. I probably won't be passing it on to my kids but would like to keep it. I was thinking of hyphenating but my fiancee's last name is already hyphenated. I am trying to get him to drop the first half as it is really unnecessary...it's complicated. Tough decision
    Posted by carolynjean216[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation. He already has a second middle name, and his son has his Mom's last name but we're hoping to add his Dad's to it, it's just so complicated.  Luckily, he's open to adding my last name to his as well, but dang that's going to be a mouthfull.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards