Second Weddings

OK for a shower?

This is mine and FI second wedding.  I have a friend who sells Pampered chef and she wants to have me a bridal shower.  My mom thinks it is awful.  She says no one will come.  Is anyone else having a shower? My MOH is my 17 year old daughter so she will help with the party.

Re: OK for a shower?

• edited September 2012
    A friend of mine called and wanted to host one for me. I don't have a large circle of friends, it was my Grandmother, my Mother, my two sisters and SIL - and their daughters. I had one other friend join us. the hostess said she was thrilled to host this 'sprinkle'. She said that even though I was older this time around, and that we had both been married before, that it didn't make my friends and family any less thrilled for me - and any less honored to share in my joy. It was very supportive, and my family is not only thrilled by my engagement, they showed that support in attendance! If you have someone that wants to host, I say feel free! ETA - corrected engagement - only one
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • You can absolutely have a shower if you want. My future sisters-in-law asked me, but I declined because we have 2 of everything, LOL.

I'm not sure why you mentioned your friend sells Pampered Chef..........is she planning on trying to sell stuff during the shower? If so, I'd say that is not appropriate. But if she wants to throw a shower and your daughter wants to help, that would be fine.
  • Sounds like your friend might be trying to profit from your shower.  But if that's not the case, there's nothing wrong with having a shower for a second wedding.  I kind of wish someone would have offered for me, but it's all good. 
  • I agree -- a shower is fine.  One in which your friend profits by using high-pressure sales tactics to force your guests to buy HER products is not.   I love Pampered Chef stuff, and would have loved to get some PC stuff as wedding gifts, but there is just no good way to do that without being rude to my friends.  So I'll just buy some more PC stuff for myself the next chance I get:-)
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_ok-for-a-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:68d831fd-3df0-4698-a6dc-b16561d997ffPost:964766a8-256b-40e2-a1d5-e717860c2d80">OK for a shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is mine and FI second wedding.  I have a friend who sells Pampered chef and she wants to have me a bridal shower.  My mom thinks it is awful.  She says no one will come.  Is anyone else having a shower? My MOH is my 17 year old daughter so she will help with the party.
    Posted by amy40440[/QUOTE]

<div>I researched this online and found that it is ok to have a shower. I am getting married for the first time and my fiance for the second time but we have lived together for almost 8 years already so it's not about needing gifts and housewares - it's about celebrating our relationship with my female friends and family and I am welcoming gifts and creating a registry. You are spending a lot of money to have a wedding and those who are invited should be supportive for that reason if no other. If you are still uncertain talk to some of the other girls who may help you feel better about the idea of a shower.</div><div>
    </div><div>Best,</div><div>Jennifer</div>
  • A shower is fine a product demo with anticipated sales is not. 
  • I had a shower AND a Bachlorette party...Shower with close family and friends. Bachlorette with close friends and all my girls from work! We had a blast! My younger daughter hosted the shower and older one hosted Bachlorette. Id advise against the selling part. You dont want guest to feel pressured to buy something.
  • I have now read through many of the posts on the board and have to say that I have NEVER seen such hypocrisy!  I have read downright nasty posts from many 2nd time brides directed at so called "do-over" brides (those wishing to renew vows) criticizing them for wanting to experience the big wedding that they didn't have for various reasons.  So i pose to you who are marrying for the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time the same questions asked of those wanting to renew their vows:1) why would you have a shower when it's intended to help a young couple starting out establish their home?; 2) why would your father "give you away" when he already did that the first time? 3) why would you have a bachelorette party if you are not a bachelorette (you are a widower or divorcee)?
    My husband and I eloped when we were just 20 and I always wished we hadn't.  We have now been married 25 years and I have looked forward to a vow renewal celebration for many, many years.  But after reading all the negative stuff posted about vow renewals I have scaled back just about everything for fear of reactions such as these. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards