Catholic Weddings
Options

Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)

So CaliSunn gave me a really good idea!  I don't know if we've already done this and I missed it, but we should post where we are/did get married. Catholic churches are so pretty and I would love to see everyones church! 

Here is where I'm getting married, the Cathedral of St. Helena

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)

• Options
    zelis42zelis42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is a gorgeous church!  I'm rather jealous, since I'd have to require the guests to drive through some rather bad parts of Detroit to get to anything like that.

We're getting married at St. Joseph Catholic Church.  I keep forgetting to take photos of the interior, since the Google Images apparently doesn't have any.

I've also realized I haven't introduced myself, so I'll take care of that now:
    I'm Lisa, my fiance is Ian.  He isn't Catholic, but since it was important to me, he agreed to a Catholic ceremony.  We're both bibliophiles, so we're going with a literature theme for the wedding.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh that's great I'm glad you're here Lisa!  I really like that church...it's really pretty!  Welcome and yay for July weddings :o)
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was married in a quaint, elegant, romantic chapel that was tucked away in the woods. It was out-of-use for 20 years and then restored. We loved how simple and intimate it was. You'll have to click the link to get the full size picture!

http://i54.tinypic.com/qsqygz.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness Riss that is beautiful, I LOVE that church!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Basilica of San Albino in Mesilla, NM
    It's a church with very special meanings to my family. My great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents were all married there. :)

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f74f57af-8577-48f7-b8e3-832da18286a7Post:0c5c7fc4-7239-40b6-9444-39d0d642ef2d">Re: Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're getting married at the Basilica of San Albino in Mesilla, NM It's a church with very special meanings to my family. My great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents were all married there. :)
    Posted by stardreamer1223[/QUOTE]

That is awesome! We used a priest from the church where my grandparents were married.
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were married at the Cathedral of Saint Paul... in... St. Paul, Minnesota!  Needless to say, not very intimate in size... our guests barely filled the front 12 pews!  I'd been a member and involved there since college, so why not?

• Options
    KamakananiKamakanani member
    edited December 2011
    I'm hoping to get married at the chapel of the high school I graduated from.  I doubt it's booked yet, as only grads can marry there.  As you can tell (especially from the interior pics) it's not a new building, and I've always loved it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    zelis42zelis42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Riss: That's a beautiful church!  The exterior reminds me of something I'd see in a movie, and that chandelier is just WOW.

Stardreamer: The family significance is so cool!  Are you going to put that in your programs/ceremony anywhere?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Shrine of St. Joseph in St. Louis!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love these!  They are all so beautiful...and it makes it even better when they have special meaning ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They don't open up the next round of available dates until March 2012, but I'm planning to have the ceremony at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on the Notre Dame campus.  I love the gothic style and it has a lot of significance to me, since it is my university and I grew up loving Notre Dame, even before I got to go there.

(Basilica on the left.  The famous golden dome is on the right.)

(Exterior)

(Interior ... took this from their "weddings and baptisms" site, so there is a wedding going on in the pic.)
    After five years he finally asked! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Christ the King in Dallas.  It is just beautiful.  I don't have many pictures, but the website is www.ctkdallas.org

Anniversary

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    HelloKaty - I've been to a wedding there - so beautiful!
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahhh... sacred architecture... they don't make 'em like they used to!  It probably doesn't help that there's a significant shortage of skilled masons & carpenters nowadays which makes such buildings beyond ridiculously expensive to build,  though.  They all look lovely, ladies! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f74f57af-8577-48f7-b8e3-832da18286a7Post:6183f93f-f04a-4f58-b957-4f1bbdc77739">Re: Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Riss: That's a beautiful church!  The exterior reminds me of something I'd see in a movie, and that chandelier is just WOW. Stardreamer: The family significance is so cool!  Are you going to put that in your programs/ceremony anywhere?
    Posted by zelis42[/QUOTE]

I don't know, we're still working on the program, but that is a great idea! Thanks!
  • Options
    zelis42zelis42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stardreamer: I'm glad I could help.

Newlyseliski and Kamakanini: Your pictures didn't show up when I replied the last time!  I hope you didn't feel left out.

Everyone here has fantastic churches!  It makes me wonder if there is such a thing as an ugly Catholic church.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    We were married in our church, his parent's church, and formerly his grandparent's church.  His parents were married here and his grandparents and some cousins.  his cousins go to school here and were our altar servers.  My FIL was a Eucharistic Minister.  (phew) St. Gabriel's has a lot of meaning to his family.  As you can see in the picture, his side about double my side.  Totally a neighborhood church.  The ceiling use to be painted with elaborate artwork (Sistine Chapel style) but they could no longer afford to keep up with it and painted over it. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. It is so amazingly beautiful and I am so thankful we were converted there, had first communion, confirmed there, and married there. I miss it so much, but we plan to visit. Here are some pictures.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    www.assumption-capecod.org/interior.jpg

This is Our Lady of the Assumption in Osterville, Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Old St. Mary's Church in downtown Milwaukee, WI.  It's the oldest Catholic church in the city built in the 1860s I believe. Our wedding date was 12.11.10. :)  Our priest is becoming the Auxiliary Bishop of the archdiocese this July.  He was wonderful and is now a good friend.  He allowed us to do the Greek Orthodox crowning tradition during our ceremony.

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    "It makes me wonder if there is such a thing as an ugly Catholic church."

Lol... you need to come down to the South where the prettiest and most traditional churches are actually the Methodist ones.

In Houston there are only a few really gorgeous, traditional looking churches and most are downtown.  Sadly, this is one of the reasons why we're marrying outside our parish.  Our parish is super contemporary and plain.  

We really want to marry in this historical church downtown that is SO gorgeous and is still very traditional (altar rails, east-facing altar, etc.).

Bridebling is getting married there too.

Annunciation Catholic Church

SaveSave
  • Options
    futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at St. Paul's Catholic Church.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the stained glass windows on the side made for some great photos!

• Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love my church!
    Old St. Patrick, Ann Arbor

Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    gorgeous churches, everyone! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    These are all very beautiful parishes!
    This is where we will be married in 90 days! St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Los Angeles.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f74f57af-8577-48f7-b8e3-832da18286a7Post:9218513d-3c26-4897-817c-6189e23b3e61">Re: Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahhh... sacred architecture... they don't make 'em like they used to!  It probably doesn't help that there's a significant shortage of skilled masons & carpenters nowadays which makes such buildings beyond ridiculously expensive to build,  though.  They all look lovely, ladies! 
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

DItto.

I'm loving snooping everyone else's churches and wedding photos.  So beautiful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pics in bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_getting-married-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f74f57af-8577-48f7-b8e3-832da18286a7Post:b35a0801-3610-42da-8354-6fb4f70b4c29">Re: Where are you getting Married? (pictures!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.assumption-capecod.org/interior.jpg" rel='nofollow'>www.assumption-capecod.org/interior.jpg</a> This is Our Lady of the Assumption in Osterville, Massachusetts
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

What a beautiful church! Those churches on the Cape are usually so pretty. I'm partial though to Christ the King in Mashpee-- we always went to mass there growing up when we were on the Cape- still do. I would to have loved to have married there if we lived closer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards