Wisconsin

Hiring a college student for ceromony music

Has anyone done this...or are going to do it? It seems like an easy way to save some dough! Plus we've got all of the colleges around the milwaukee area.

Re: Hiring a college student for ceromony music

• edited December 2011
    No, but I want to do this! I just havent quite figured out how to do it. I might try posting at UWM (I go to grad school there). Where have you looked or plan to look?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Anniversary
  • katiebakakatiebaka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't but it's a great idea! It could be great for their resume/starting their careers and in most cases, if they've gotten into the music program they're very good. I would suggest contacting the music departments at some of the universities and seeing if they have any suggestions for going about it, or finding out where you'd be able to post things (I know at our school, you couldn't just come around and post stuff on bulletin boards).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kitty02katkitty02kat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work at a university and helped my friend with this for her wedding.  I found out what type of instrument/vocal she wanted and then contacted the music department.  I then found out the professors for that type (strings, vocal, etc.) and asked for suggestions.  The professor had a few people off the top of his head and asked them and then gave them my contact information if they were interested.  :)  It worked very well. :)
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Contact the music departments and ask how to go about contacting their professors and students for this purpose.  When I was in music school some of the juniors and seniors routinely did weddings.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to contact a music instructed at uwm...I'd rather get a referral than just post a flyer (I think) haven't decided yet. But I am definitely going to go that route, I'm thinking two violinist.
  • edited December 2011
    I want to do this as well, I know UWM has a masters program in concert performance. If anyone finds out who to contact, please let me know
  • PaigeH30PaigeH30 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also want to do this, I did e-mail the head of the music department at one of the University's and I havent heard anything.......and it's been a couple months??
  • As a music major myself from a small college, you need to try to contact the Music dept admin or a current music major to get anywhere.  From my experience, music professors do not have time nor have the interest in helping find a musician for your wedding.  Also, once you find a student, make sure to have them play for you in person before you hire them.  I've found that there is a huge discrepancy between skill level.  Some music minors or Music Edu majors are better at their instrument/voice than a performance major. 

Don't forget the small colleges and music schools too. It may be easier to find someone at the smaller colleges that will help you: Carroll University, Hartland Music, WI Lutheran College, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards