Outdoor Weddings

Seating Question **Kind of long, sorry!*

We are having our ceremony directly on the beach and are only having our vows and a simple sand ceremony, so we're expecting the whole ceremony itself to only last like 15-20 minutes.
When we met with our Ceremony Coordinator, who is also officiating, she said that a lot of people stand during the ceremony to take pictures, or just take a seat in the sand, since you are, afterall, on the beach. So it would be a little more cost-efficient for us to only have 30 chairs for our guest list of about 50.
Since then, the count has changed and we're expecting closer to 60.
I trusted her judgement at first, she is the professional afterall, but now I feel like it's wierd for there to not be actual seats for everyone. I've never been to a wedding before, much less, a beach wedding, so I'm not really sure if this is really wierd, or if I am? Haha.

So, am I worrying too much, or is it wierd to expect that most people will stand or take a seat in the sand, like she said?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image Invited 81 imageComing to party 67 imageMissing the fun 14
Planning Bio-- Updated 11.29.10

Re: Seating Question **Kind of long, sorry!*

•  You should have a seat for each guest. I would not want to ask guest who are dresses nicely to have a seat in the sand. If you are planning on inviting older guests they may have trouble standing even for that short amount of time.
  • I would definitely have a seat for everyone. In the weddings I've seen (outdoors and indoors) everyone sits. They may get up at some point to take a picture but they end up sitting some too. Definitely worth it to have a seat for everyone.
  • Ditto PPs, I would definitely have a chair available for everyone.  If they want to stand at the side and take pictures that's up to them, but I wouldn't expect people who are dressed up to sit in the sand.
  • Okay, well looks like I'm not crazy then! Haha. :)

Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image Invited 81 imageComing to party 67 imageMissing the fun 14
    Planning Bio-- Updated 11.29.10
  • you could think about doing benches as well.  I've seen photos and this looks really pretty on the beach.
  • you should have a seat for everyone at my friends wedding which was on the beach  sat in a chair.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_seating-question-kind-of-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:538a1678-62d8-447e-9784-4f7b15c81704Post:4441174b-c629-466f-8a04-b0f1970cac03">Re: Seating Question **Kind of long, sorry!*</a>:
    [QUOTE] You should have a seat for each guest. I would not want to ask guest who are dresses nicely to have a seat in the sand. If you are planning on inviting older guests they may have trouble standing even for that short amount of time.
    Posted by ariver2011[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.
  • You need to remember that it is not just the 15 minutes for the ceremony.  Many people will get there as much as 30 minutes ahead of time.  Then, there is always the reality that ceremonies start late.  Be nice to your friends and family...get chairs.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Our ceremony was outside and at the last minute (2 days before the wedding) our chair vendor informed us that they didn't have the number of chairs they had a originally quoted for us. We ended up with 120 chairs and about 250 guests, so LOTS of people had to stand for our 15 minute ceremony. Since we knew that we didn't have enough seating, the wedding planners instructed the ushers to be sure that all of the older people and ladies were seated first.

Most people didn't mind standing for that short period of time and I've had to stand up at weddings before, too. That being said, I don't really see it as a problem for a casual, outdoor ceremony - especially if it will save you some money. Just be sure that all of the older people are seated and that your ceremony isn't super long. ;)

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Why does this thread keep going on and on and on?  It never ends....  I can't believe how many times I've seen it at the top of the list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards