October 2013 Weddings

free wedding planner?

hello all! i'm recently engaged (as of saturday!) and we're looking to get married in mid october. we have a baby boy on the way, due in july, so even though i am very cost concience, i'm seriously considering a wedding planner. i checked on craigslist and there are actually listings of planners "looking to build their portfolio" and are offering their services for free. this just seems too be good to be true. thoughts?

Re: free wedding planner?

• Possible. You'd still have to tip them for their services. You could easily plan it yourself with your FI and maybe even your parents.

• I dont know what your plan for a venue is, but a lot of venues have an event planner that really acts liek a wedding planner. I am getting married on October 12, 2013 at David's Country Inn in Hackettstown and they have two event coordinators that have been working with me, and they are amazing. They help me every step of the way which makes it a lot easier and a lot cheaper than hiring a wedding planner. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And congrats on your engagement!!!!!!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm almost 24 weeks pregnant and I haven't finished my registry or even started on the nursey. No way I will be able to plan a wedding, especially with an infant! I have no issues tipping her, I'm just concerned it's a scam. I guess as long as I give her no money to pass along, there really is nothing for her to gain (other than experience for her portfolio), right?

• I am confused. This October or next October?

• Next... my point was I can barely prepare for a baby, how am i going to plan a wedding after he's born and working full time?

• Doesn't hurt to try it out. See if she has some sort of contract.

• be careful craigslist has so many scams I would be careful!
  • edited April 2012
    I'm getting married Friday October 4th 2013. We chose our venue because it is amazing and we loved it instantly. We are having the ceremony and the reception all in one place which really helps with keeping costs to a minimum. Also, try to have your wedding any day but Saturday and try to have an out of season wedding. Anyway, the venue we chose actually provided us with a wedding coordinator. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but good luck with everything and congratulations with your bundle of joy! All the best, Katie
  • I am a former wedding planner (over 7 years of experience) and I started out advertising my services for next to nothing on CL. I say go for it. Any help is better than no help, especially if it is free!
  • Not sure if my post is too late but just wanted you to rest assured that it could be true :) i helped my BFF with her wedding in 2010 and we found a free wedding planner on Craigslist. She was working on her portfolio and just asked that we allow her to use pictures of the wedding and give her a reference letter. It was a win-win situation ;) it worked out fine. I use Craigslist all the time and while I agree you always have to be careful it is possible to find great deals ( I always do). Always make a first appointment in a public place (we met at coffee bean) and take someone with you. The only time I see red flags is when people ask you for money. In this cAse she never charged and we just tipped her. She was a great help :) hope this helps eAse some concerns.
  • Not sure if my post is too late but just wanted you to rest assured that it could be true :) i helped my BFF with her wedding in 2010 and we found a free wedding planner on Craigslist. She was working on her portfolio and just asked that we allow her to use pictures of the wedding and give her a reference letter. It was a win-win situation ;) it worked out fine. I use Craigslist all the time and while I agree you always have to be careful it is possible to find great deals ( I always do). Always make a first appointment in a public place (we met at coffee bean) and take someone with you. The only time I see red flags is when people ask you for money. In this cAse she never charged and we just tipped her. She was a great help :) hope this helps eAse some concerns.
  • In Response to Re:free wedding planner?:[QUOTE]I'm getting married Friday October 4th 2013. We chose our venue because it is amazing and we loved it instantly. We are having the ceremony and the reception all in one place which really helps with keeping costs to a minimum. Also, try to have your wedding any day but Saturday and try to have an out of season wedding. Anyway, the venue we chose actually provided us with a wedding coordinator. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but good luck with everything and congratulations with your bundle of joy!
    All the best,
    Katie Posted by jkbear1223[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married 10/04/13 too! And I agree! My ceremony and reception are in the same location and it helps money and convenience a lot! : my place also came with a coordinator : good luck to everyone! And Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards