Illinois-Chicago

Hair and makeup for two - I can't spend this much!

I'm looking for hair and makeup for myself and my Maid of Honor (I have no other bridesmaids), including a trial session, and I'm not finding ANYTHING under $700.  We will go to a salon, it doesn't have to be in-home although that is best. 

Am I crazy to think I should find these services for two for $500 or less?  I know looking the best I can that day is important but these fees sound outrageous to a person with a $15,000 budget. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I feel like I've emailed everyone on theknot's vendor list but no one is affordable at this time.
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Hair and makeup for two - I can't spend this much!

• edited December 2011

More reasonable prices will probably be found at local salons.  I'm out in the 'burbs but I'm paying $75 for hair and $65 for makeup (trials are a separate charge).  

I almost never use the vendor lists on here because the vendors are so expensive.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hair-makeup-two-cant-spend-this-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:f1204318-63ce-4c65-bced-0f3a86a1c00fPost:9dc415e0-8969-4e1b-8fd7-e249e0f61f27">Hair and makeup for two - I can't spend this much!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking for hair and makeup for myself and my Maid of Honor (I have no other bridesmaids), including a trial session, and <strong>I'm not finding ANYTHING under $700</strong>.  We will go to a salon, it doesn't have to be in-home although that is best.  Am I crazy to think I should find these services for two for $500 or less?  I know looking the best I can that day is important but these fees sound outrageous to a person with a $15,000 budget.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I feel like I've emailed everyone on theknot's vendor list but no one is affordable at this time.
    Posted by scstar17[/QUOTE]

<div>WHAT???  I totally agree with you.  There is no way I'd pay that much for just 2 people!  I actually went to my salon for the hair and I think it was $75.00.  Sharon Daniels Salon is based out of Schaumburg but will come to you on your wedding day.  I think my make-up was just under $100.00 and that was for airbrush.</div><div>
    </div><div>There are definitely other options that are much more affordable.</div>
  • amyb140amyb140 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the Bridal Beauty Salon in Chicago.  My trial was free and I'm paying about $1100 for hair for 6 people and makeup for four people.
    imageAnniversary
  • scstar17scstar17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I am checking out this Schaumburg salon but for two it still goes up to over $500 for hair and makeup for both, plus trials. 

Is it normal to have a trial for your bridesmaid too, or no? 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I live in the suburbs but I'm getting married in the city...so it poses a problem.  My MOH lives in the city and therefore it would just be best to go somewhere near her house - she lives 10 minutes from the venue. 

I appreciate the input!  Anyone else I can check out?

P.S. my regular hair lady is also a family friend, so she's a guest.  I'm not going to put her to work before the wedding so this is part of the problem of not knowing where to go!

• amyb140amyb140 member
    edited December 2011
    The Bridal Beauty Salon would be about $360 total for 2 people including a trial for the bride (bridesmaid doesn't need one).
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, the wedding industry is a racket for sure.

I can't really offer any advice, it sounds like the Bridal Salon is a good option for you.

I went to my regular salon in the burbs and my total for trial and bridal hair was 125.00 I used Cynthia Sally but got her reduced rates from 2010 for booking early. Which is way less than she charges today. About 25% less.

Good Luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I priced it at $380 for both of us on the wedding day (I want airbrushed makeup on me), not including a trial.  It's a bit of a relief to hear I don't have to do a trial for her, though!  Not to pinch pennies...but yeah I want to pinch pennies.

http://www.stylesdowntheaisle.com/bridalbeautysalon.html

They seem the most reasonable yet, though, so thank you again ladies!!!

• schmellaschmella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_hair-makeup-two-cant-spend-this-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:f1204318-63ce-4c65-bced-0f3a86a1c00fPost:fddf5d34-22f9-4632-827a-48bc093de5f0">Re: Hair and makeup for two - I can't spend this much!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I live in the suburbs but I'm getting married in the city...so it poses a problem.  My MOH lives in the city and therefore it would just be best to go somewhere near her house - she lives 10 minutes from the venue.  I appreciate the input!  Anyone else I can check out? <strong>P.S. my regular hair lady is also a family friend, so she's a guest.  I'm not going to put her to work before the wedding so this is part of the problem of not knowing where to go!</strong>
    Posted by scstar17[/QUOTE]

Have you asked your regular hair lady for a recommendation?  She most likely knows who does good work and won't charge you an arm and a leg.  She might even be able to help get you a good deal if she knows someone. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, she's in Lake in the Hills and doesn't know hair/makeup artists in the city unfortunately, and using people in the suburbs isn't an option for me.  Otherwise that would be a good route to go!

• LeilanithorLeilanithor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, my best friend works at O Salon and Spa in Mundelein.  Her name is Jen Hoffman, and she does amazing work on hair.  She has done my other friends bridesmaids hair for her wedding, and she will be doing my hair and my friends hair for our weddings in the upcoming months.  Hair is truly her passion and she will sit down and talk with you!  Im almost positive it will be under $700!! Smile
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    Holy Cow!

I went through my mother's hairdresser, Roxanne, at Salon 95 in Oak Lawn.  She also connected me to the makeup artist I used, Susan.

They were both amazing and would be well within your budget.

http://www.makeupchicago.us/ this is Susan's site.

It not going through mine, why not use a local hairstylist you trust and ask them to put you in contact with a makeup artist.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I was a bridesmaid for a wedding in Des Plaines, and one in Nashville (years ago) - in both cases we used a Mary Kay lady, and she was great!

Nashville was a destination wedding...the MK lady chose colors for us based on photos, and adjusted as needed that day (that was the first time any of us met her).  The bride bought each of us a mascara and eye shadow pallette as part of our gifts, and a full makeup set for herself.  The MK lady made no purchase expectations, nor did she charge any service fees or whatnot - but it was still right to fairly compensate her for her time.

For the Des Plaines wedding, the bride, MOH, and I spent a morning at our MK lady's house for a mini consultation party - we did it the morning of the bachelorette party so the bride could spend a full day in the makeup and see how it lasted.  Between the 3 of us, we bought about $250-300 of products.  The MK lady then came to our hotel the day of the wedding to apply our makeup.  Additionally, she made up the MOB too.

MK makeup might not give the full effect of professional, air-brushed wedding makeup, but it was still wonderful nontheless, and I'm glad that my money bought me a bag of full-size products and not just the makeup on my face.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the input!  I really do need someone in the city, though.  I don't want to be stressed with traffic in and out and going all over the place that morning/aftermoon.  I guess it is not realistic to get on-site hair and makeup since there is just me and the MOH, so we will have to do two separate places it seems. 

Anyone have experience with Fox Hair Salon?  I'm leaning towards them for hair, and still up in the air for makeup.  I want the airbrushed, glam look I guess since this will be the only time I get this in my life.

• edited December 2011
    Another option is to go to a department store and see if any of the make-up people do wedding make up.  I am having mine done by someone who works at Neimans and it is $300 for three people and she is coming to my house.  Plus the trial is included in the price.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards