Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Question about changing your name- SS card?

I have a question for you guys who are already married... when you went to the SS office to change your name- did you walk out with your new SS card that same day? How much does it cost? (I live in OH) Just wondering... thanks!

Re: Question about changing your name- SS card?

• The card was mailed a few weeks later.  I don't think it cost anything, but I cannot remember for sure.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • free and it took 2 weeks.
  • edited November 2010
    Ditto pp. I went into the office in person, they took my old card and I received the new one in the mail in a few weeks. It didn't cost anything.

• Free and I received it in about 5 days
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Free and it came within 2 weeks.  My office didn't take my old card though.  Speaking of SS though that reminds me that they spelled my middle name wrong on my new one and I need to get another. 

Does anyone else have their full middle name on their card?  My original card only had my middle initial, but when the new one came it had my full middle name, misspelled. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_question-changing-name-ss-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:3c04bbda-9df9-42c8-8c42-41287e4e24adPost:742c7a2e-8ed1-43ab-86db-57a9c4dcbcd5">Re: Question about changing your name- SS card?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Free and it came within 2 weeks.  My office didn't take my old card though.  Speaking of SS though that reminds me that they spelled my middle name wrong on my new one and I need to get another.  Does anyone else have their full middle name on their card?  My original card only had my middle initial, but when the new one came it had my full middle name, misspelled. 
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, I believe that is how mine were. The original just had my middle initial while the new one has my full name. Thankfully, everything was spelled correctly on the new one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_question-changing-name-ss-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:3c04bbda-9df9-42c8-8c42-41287e4e24adPost:c79d572c-4e23-4583-a4c6-1d858a784652">Re: Question about changing your name- SS card?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No. They mail it to you. I also want to prepare you that getting my social security card was awful and worse than going to the DMV.  I had to stand outside in FL in August in line along with people with little kids and a man on a breathing machine for about an hour.  They wouldn't let us wait inside the building.  Then when I finally got in, I got a ticket and waited another hour before I finally got to go up there.  Check to make sure you have every possible thing you need. I doubled checked it on their website like three times before I went because if you wait all that time and don't have the right thing, you have to come back and wait again.  Also, I had to take off of work because it was an hour away and it was only open from 9-3PM M-F and they wouldn't let you mail it in.  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it depends on when you go.  SS was easy.  DMV took forever!</div>
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Free and I got it within one week.

My new one has my full middle name and my old one only had my middle initial.

I waited for 2 hours (and there were only about 15 people in front of me. They said it is best to go first thing in the morning, they let people line up about 30 min before they open- of course I am sure every office is different, but it makes sense that getting there early might get you out faster.

DMV- I wasn't prepared that I had to take a new picture, and went with no make-up :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards