Christian Weddings

Tuesday QOTD

9/11.....where were you when it happened? Do you still have a hard time with the "anniversary"?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tuesday QOTD

• I was home schooled at the time and I'm pretty sure I was still at my house when it happened. i didn't actually know what was happening until days later.  for some reason i was the only one in my house not to be watching the news and nobody told me about it.
    i'm in canada so it;s a little different for me...even when i finally found out what had happened i didn't fully understand. 
    i think for those reasons this day is just another day for me.  my heart aches for those who had to go through it, but i try not to think about bad things.
  • I was in 9th grade in World History class, taking a test on Ancient Egypt. One of the seniors came in and told our teacher that planes were bombing NY. We had to wait until the test was over to watch the news. By then, both towers were gone and the Pentagon had been hit. My uncle was stationed at the Pentagon at the time. Thankfully, he's okay, but it took a few days for him to get in touch with the family.
    I don't know why, but I get sucked into the documentaries that air around this time.  
  • I was in 11th grade.  I found out when I got to second period.  After school I learned that my uncle had responded.  He'd let my aunt know he was there, but then it was a while before we learned that he eventually made it home.  His brother-in-law was one of the many firemen killed.  I still have a hard time thinking about it.  I heard sirens this morning...they make me nervous.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was in elementary school. We're on the west coast so by the time I got to school the towers had already fallen. The teachers weren't allowed to listen to the radio or watch TV and so I had no idea all day long that something had happened. When I got home my grandparents explained it before turning on the TV and then let me watch news coverage. I remember crying a ton.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • I was a senior in high school, in history class. The teacher next door to us came to our teacher and told us what happened. I just remember sitting there in shock and horror at the images I saw.

Like Emily, I get sucked into the documentories on TV. I still cry when I see the towers fall and think of the people inside.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was a junior in high school.  During morning break, I heard whispers that something major had happened, and in my next class the teacher told us that planes had hit the WTC.  I remember people being nervous about Chicago getting hit (we were 20 minutes away, lots of parents worked in Chicago).  We listened to the radio in one class, but it wasn't until I got home that I saw the news coverage. 

That evening was one of only two days in high school that I did not do my math homework - I made the decison that watching the news and going to a prayer service at church was more important than pre-calc. 

DH and I watch the documentaries/tributes too.  I think we are both still in some ways trying to make sense out of it, the day the world changed.
  • I was a junior in college.  My roommate and I had the same 8 am class (west coast), so we were up getting ready for class.  I remember coming back into our bedroom from the bathroom and she had the radio on.  We just stood there in shock, thinking it was some dumb DJ's idea of an incredibly twisted, disgusting joke.  When we realized it was real we ran into the living room and turned on the tv.  We watched for a long time and were late to class.  Our classes that day were pretty much sitting together, praying, and watching tv.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tuesday-qotd-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:33c5e8bd-ebec-4bf6-934b-81dd867e7f6bPost:416df3c1-c639-45b7-b7df-14442061ca8e">Tuesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]9/11.....where were you when it happened? Do you still have a hard time with the "anniversary"?
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]

<div>I was in my bathroom curling my hair before school (freshman in high school).  I was listening to the radio when the first tower was hit.  I turned on the news and saw the second tower hit.  We watched the news in classes all day. I remember being really scared at the headline "America at War". All I could think was that we'd be living amidst warzones.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm still sad about what happened, but 9/11 is also my parents' anniversary, so it's usually more of a celebrated day in our household than one of sorrow.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • I was living in a hotel while waiting for my dorm to be built my sophmore year in college. I woke up to my roommate watching the 2nd tower hit.

I respect the date, and I honor the memories, but I don't have a hard time with it. I guess I feel that we should be patriotic and remember our military and firefighters and such all the time, not just when something catastrophic happens (or the anniversary of such an event). But I do like that the date brings the country together united, even if it's only for the day.
  • i was a freshman in college.. I came out of class and the first tower was hit . I was SO tired and out of it I seriously misunderstood and when they said world trade tower i didnt know they meant NYC... I went back to my dorm and back to bed.. Woke up and got ready for class , stepped into the hallway and the girl down the hall said we didnt have classes go into the lounge... So i did ... only to find tons of people in pure silence and occasional sobbing ..

We were near Philly and kinda fearful of large cities. Many people had family from NJ and NYC that hadnt heard about their loved ones yet. I remember the guy on the phone who got out of the first tower and was on the air frantically looking for his wife who was in the 2nd tower .

Its never and easy day. Last year was really hard for me . I finally wacthed the World Trade Center movie and the Flight 93 movie.

I was very upset with the Today show this mornining who interviewd the Kardashian mother and barly gave any remembrance for the day. Although how often do you see much remembrance for Pearl Harbor other then a bigger anniversary. I think it's awful to forget either one .
    Love is All You Need
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tuesday-qotd-33?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:33c5e8bd-ebec-4bf6-934b-81dd867e7f6bPost:90bf0e47-5a04-4e68-8001-4db894ebcf04">Re: Tuesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I watch the documentaries/tributes too.  I think we are both still in some ways trying to make sense out of it, the day the world changed.
    Posted by yodacub[/QUOTE]
    I think that's what it is for me.  We watched the footage, but only saw what was happening on the outside...the smoke, the collapses, people covered in soot.  But the interviews and "recreations" try to tell the story of what was going on in the towers, the Pentagon, and Flight 93 and tell the stories of the victims and their families.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards