Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement Announcements and Party

So i've been engaged a week and I keep reading everywhere about engagement announcements and parties. Does everyone do the paper announcement and do you really have to have an engagment party?? What are your thoughts as none of our friends are helping answer this question. Thank you!

Re: Engagement Announcements and Party

• Options
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to! I'm not really sure what the engagement party is for, other than celebration. I'm guessing it would be good for a Long engagement, so you dot have to wait until the wedding itself to celebrate. My advice is if you want to do it, and have the money, then go ahead. But if not, I'm sure it wouldn't really matter
  • Options

You don't throw yourself an engagement party....if someone offers to throw you one, great.  Most couples, in my experience, don't have one.  It is poor etiquette to throw yourself one anyway, so don't be worried about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Many people don't have them and they aren't required. We didn't have one and I've never been invited to one. You should only have one if someone else offers to throw it for you, as you shouldn't host your own engagement party.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    No. You don't need either. 
    We didn't have an engagement party.. I honestly find them a little silly.. .

We also weren't planning to have an e-announcement but H's aunts really wanted it in their local newspaper so we humored that.. Other than that we didn't do anything until it was time for Save the Dates, which we definitely HAD to do because most of our guests were OOT so they needed the heads up. 

• Options
    I am newly engaged as well my fianc and I decided to tell out parents that we did not want an engagement party. As for an announcement its Facebook official already but we're thinking of doing a formal announcement in the newspaper a year before the wedding. Mostly as a keepsake.
  • Options
    My FI (at the time) and I did an engagement dinner type thing. We invited our bridal party and immediate family for supper at a restaurant just so they could meet and we can introduce our bridal parties. It wasn't anything huge and we didn't pay for anyone's meal. Now, I don't know if that was proper etiquette but it worked for us. The engagement annoucement I put in the newspaper about the time we mailed out invitations. You don't have to do any if you don't want to but it's totally up to you.
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-announcements-and-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:a3ab2598-4d6c-42f4-952d-0db31a683ba7Post:d290bb2a-0933-4c46-b3a2-cb16ab8b8d05">Engagement Announcements and Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]So i've been engaged a week and I keep reading everywhere about engagement announcements and parties. Does everyone do the paper announcement and do you really have to have an engagment party?? What are your thoughts as none of our friends are helping answer this question. Thank you!
    Posted by bleuangele[/QUOTE] I just got Engaged 3 Weeks ago and me & my Fiance had an Engagement Party about a Week Ago. My Parents through this Party for us with getting Our close Friends  & Family together. We also had sent Engagement Invitations our to Everyone. We made this Engagement a Big deal by me & my Fiance haviing 'Just Engaged' Shirts made for us to wear. Honestly it's up to you if you want an Engagement Party. Either way if my Parents didnt throw this Party for Us, we were gonna have a Party with our Friends on our own. My Fiance's Parents are Deceased so my Parents did this for us. Belive me we had a Ball! Having an Engagement Party! You won't Regret it!  Good Luck & Cograts to You! If you need anymore advice just let me know.
  • Options
    Totally up to you. I'd like to have an engagement party (yes, I've been to some thrown by the couple that's engaged) because I'd like my friends to meet my fiance and he's like his to meet me. I don't think there's anything wrong with it - it's a celebration of joy, friendship and happiness. The hardest thing for us is trying to decide if we should just make it friends or also invite family. Frankly, I'd prefer to do a separate family thing, since our fams have never met (mine are out of state). That way we could just have fun with friends. We'll see how it works out - but you don't HAVE to do anything - it's totally up to you!
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards