Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Reception Venue around Grand Rapids

Hello All!
My wedding is 7 months away and I still havent' found a reception location, and I'm beginning to get nervous. We are looking for something to fit around 250 guests AND let us bring in our own food, not a caterer. Yep. Tough crowd = ). Many people have suggested VFW or American Legion halls, but I'm still slightly uneasy and unsure of how much those run. Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thank you all! = )
09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook

Re: Reception Venue around Grand Rapids

• Options
    jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Frederick Meijer Gardens allows outside caterers, but I have no idea about your own food.  It really depends on your price range.  How much are you looking to spend?

I would call a VFW hall and ask.  My sister had her wedding at one on the east side of the state in 97 and it was very large and a ton of fun, no idea how much it cost though.

Is there a reason you need your own food?  We're getting married at the Pinnacle Center in Hudsonville.  Food is pretty good and fairly reasonably priced compared to others we looked into... avg about $20/plate as opposed to someplace like Amway Grand at $45/plate.

Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the reply back! We are both college students, so the cheaper the better, probably less than a thousand dollars if at all possible. We would like to do our own food because we want to do our favorite foods and I have yet to find a caterer that has all of them....plus it would be a lot more cost effective for us.
    09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook
  • Options
    rosesarefreerosesarefree member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the community center in Grand Haven. You can bring in your own caterer, and my sister, who used to cater events there, said they have a very nice kitchen as well. I was looking at their brochure online just yesterday, and to rent the large ballroom for a Saturday wedding it was $800 for an event with no alcohol, and $925 for an event with alcohol.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having a Marine COprs theamed wedding so the VFW is one place that I checked. They do allow your own food, the have some pretty good bar options, and it was only like $400 for the room rental.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Which VFW hall did you look at dravensbaby? = )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to tell everyone thank you for their input/advice. We finally put our deposit down on the American Legion hall in Rockford! = )
  • Options
    Lorielle22Lorielle22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a new place in Wyoming, MI called La Hacienda that allows you to bring your own food.  You may want to check with them to see if they can accomodate 250.  We are having our reception there and bringing in our own food but our guest list is closer to 200.  Here's their number in case your interested: 616.437.6325.  They also have a website where you can check out their facilities. (Very pretty inside!)

Mother-of-the-Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards