Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Getting a little stressed about ceremony decor :(

Ok we bought these cute 5-6" hanging lanterns to hang from the pews at our church down the aisle.  Last weekend we went to see the church and measure the pews because we hadn't been there since January.  It was literally like we had seen it for the first time - they don't even have church pews!  They have no windows, no woodwood, no wall decor - plain white drywall with navy chairs.  The lights don't dim, they're just bright white.

All of this PLUS there is a big gray box on the wall!  It looks like they had a projection screen and painted around it!

We hadn't worked anything into our budget for decor at all and we've already overspent on that budget as it is. 

Both of us were kinda in shock when we saw the place and it just isn't romantic in the least.  I just don't know what to do :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting a little stressed about ceremony decor :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused. Had you been there before? If so, did they do some remodeling and change the things you remembered?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused too. I thought you said you saw the place in January.  So, they don't have pews what do they have to sit on, chairs?  Can you maybe google pics for how to hang those lanterns from chairs (tie some longer ribbon around them?  Is there any way you can use some of the decorations that you already purchased at the ceremony as well?  We are taking several things from the ceremony to the reception to re use.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Yeah I guess I should have mentioned they were actually remodelling it in Jan when we booked.  We figured a church was a church and it wouldnt be a big deal and they would just be making it better.  We didnt realize it would be so "empty"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I see what you mean about the big box on the wall, and I think you are just going to have to ignore that one.  I think the more you try to cover it up, you are just going to draw attention to it.  I think you would be able to string a longer ribbon through those lanterns and drape them around those chairs though.  Is there any way you can get big potted plants (flowering or green plants) and put them up at the front to add a little color.  When my mom got married this summer, she rented two huge Boston ferns and put them up on the alter.  Everyone commented on how nice they looked and how they really added something to the alter area.  I am using large potted mums for mine since I love mums and we are getting married in the fall (one day after the official start).  Hope that helps a little more.  But yes, I see why you are a little worried about it.  Also, can you maybe use an aisle runner to add a little something.  We are doing one with fall leaves on it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sdose13sdose13 member
    edited December 2011
    Plants might be nice, yes. I've seen a lot of decor with bunches of baby's breath, too. It looks really chic and modern. Maybe you could put big bunches in silver buckets with ribbon or something? Sorry this is a stressor for you. :(
  • Options
    MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you said that you can't dim the lights, but maybe see if your church has candelabras that you can use to put in the aisle and at the altar to add some light and then you can turn off the overhead lights during the ceremony?  We used candelabras down the aisle at our wedding and had some lit on the altar and it really made the church glow and look really romantic.  Also, an aisle runner and/or lining the edges of the aisle would add some romance.

I also agree with PP that getting some large flower arrangements to put at the front would help add color and would also help to detract from the big grey box.  

Sorry to hear that nothing is what you thought it would be.  I think though that if you just add a few splashes of color and decor it'll look great.  Everyone one will be focused on you and your husband to be that I don't think they'll notice the decor (or lack thereof) when all is said and done.  Good Luck!

"All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I like the idea for big plants up there, and love the silver pots idea.  As for candleabras down the aise and at the alter -- do you think that would be enough light to be able to turn off all the other lights?  We were thinking maybe get some pillars and put red uplighting on them as well.
  • Options
    ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can check out Something Chic,  I know that they have rentals that are fairly reasonable. Including Boston Ferns that someone had mentioned.

If you know someone with a Costco membership, I know they have really large potted mums for sale, if you put in some sort of decorative pot would be really nice & very "Fall" like.  

Not sure whether you have checked this out or not & I am not sure about the quality but Oriental Trading Co. has aisle runners for around $25, if you wanted to add some color that way.  

I'm sorry you're dealing with this!  I know the big day is approaching quickly! Hang in there! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards