Students

Waiting stinks!

I just recently got engaged. Unfortunately, I have to wait three years to get married. Right now we're looking at May 23, 2015. That will be a few weeks after my fiance graduates. I'm going to be taking summer classes and hoping to graduate that year as well. If I'm not able to, then I hopefully will only have one semester left whenever we get married. I know waiting is for the best and it gives us a lot of time to plan and save money, but I don't like the waiting any better. lol. However, I just remind myself that waiting is nothing because I will be marrying the love of my life and we'll still be together in the meantime. I'm just hoping the next three years go by quickly! 

Re: Waiting stinks!

• I know waiting sucks.  I'm an impatient person too, so even waiting a year and a half was hard for me/is still hard.  But it's for the best.  Considering you said that your fiance has 3 years left to go in school, it seems like you're young.  Don't take offense to that, I'm 19, but I'll be 21 when I get married.  Trust me, a long engagement is a good thing when you're young.  And the three years you have to wait just mean you can save up more money and have the wedding you probably couldn't afford to have right now.  It's going to be well worth the wait.  Congrats on your engagement though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Thanks! And yeah, we are young. I'll be 19 this year and he'll be 21. So by time we get married we'll be almost 22 and 24, respectively. He has another 3 years left because he is a music education major and at the college we go to that is unfortunately a 5 year major instead of a four year one. 
  • I feel that. FI and I are 20 and our date is set for March 28, 2015. I'll be graduated by then (although moved on to the next level of schooling). We know it's best for us and our finances, especially since we currently live 45 minutes apart, but the wait is annoying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Anna 2013

i am studying in india and my FI in malaysia, both doing medicine and we both have another 4 years to go until we finish and can get married.

the wait will be totally worth it and we've been engaged a year already, time has gone by really fast especially when we're both busy studying.

ofcourse the long distance is hard coupled with my impatience,
    but as Anna has said, think of it as the ideal opportunity to save for an amazing wedding!!
  • We cant even set a date becase im on a waiting list for nursing school. The waitlist is so messed up that no one can say how long it will take. Some say a year and a half others say something crazy like 3 years. it sucks =(

• I've been engaged for over 4 years. It sucked at first but you get used to it. It gives you lots of time to think about what you want, and by the time you actually start planning and putting money down on things, everything goes super smoothly because you already know the gig. 

Congrats.

BTW- I've been with my FI since we were 16, got engaged at 18, and are now 23. We went to high school together, went to two different colleges an hour apart, then transferred to a different school in the same city so we could live together for 2 years, but then decided to go to grad school and now we're doing long distance again- and will continue to do so for a year after we're married. We're getting married in 3 months, by the time we tie the knot it will be a week after our 7 years of dating anniversary, or 4 years and 9 months of being engaged. :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • wow.  And I thought my year-long engagement was bad.  lol 
    We've only been engaged for a year now, and it's been hard for us, but that's partially because we haven't been living in the same state for most of our engagement.  He and I both were finishing up our master's programs.  Honestly though, I can't wait to be done with the waiting.  :)
  • FI and I have been together since we were 15 (!) and I'm now 21. We'll be married when I'm 23 and he's 24. I know it's hard waiting, but it gives you time to start saving (even $10 a week turns into something!) and do things like lurk on the knot to get great ideas and support. 
  • I agree with all the PPs.  I have been with my FI since I was 15.  I am now 19, almost 20.  We are having a 2 year engagement, getting married Dec 2013.  We had been talking about marriage for a long time before we actually got engaged and would have gotten engaged earlier if it weren't for a few factors.

The waiting does stink, but it gives you time to grow and definitely time to save money.  It goes fast.  A year and a half a go I never thought getting to this point would come so fast. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been engaged since December of 2009. The waiting has sucked but it has also flown by. My fiance and I are in a long distance relationship so we had no choice but to wait until I get my nursing degree. Now we are only a year away and it's going by faster and faster! You also have a lot more time to plan and save which is huge!!
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally feel ya girl. I got engaged on Valentine's Day this year but won't be getting married until June 2014 (I'll graduate from college that May). I'm 20 now (19 when engaged lol) and I'll be 22 when we get married. FI will graduate from college in May of 2013, but he's 26. He'll be 27 when he graduates and 28 when we get married.

The waiting is killing me especially because we really wanted to get married July 2013, but my parents are adament about waiting until I graduate.

Anyway just letting you know that you are not alone! In some ways it sucks to have to wait that long but on the plus time you get more time to plan, get your crap together, and to save up more money. That's what I keep telling myself - I'll be better able to afford the wedding of my dreams. Just try to look on the positive side of it and know that we're all in similar boats! Wink
  • Very true. It definitely helps to know that I'm not the only person having to deal with a long wait! :)
  • OK, I feel really old based on the other ages that have been posted, but I definitely understand the waiting.  FI and I started dating our sophomore year of high school and we have not lived in the same state since we graduated in 2003.  I did my undergrad and veterinary school in Wisconsin and he did his undergrad in southern Illinois.  It was really hard to watch people around me getting married after only knowing their SO for a year or two.  We got engaged in 2010 and we're getting married in about 2 months when I'm done with my veterinary degree.  Waiting was really, really hard but when it's the right person, it's totally worth it.  

FWIW, the last year has gone by SOOOO fast!  You're going to wake up one morning and say "holy cow, my own wedding is going to be the next wedding I attend!!" and it's a great feeling!  Hang in there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • notyetavet, I'm hoping someone I know gets married before me cause if not, my wedding will be the first I've attended in quite a few years!  

I know most of us still have a while to go, but I love looking at the counter on this site and going wow.  When I'm busy with school I'll check every once in a while and the number always surprises me, like I didn't know it was only 492 days not 496.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I completely understand how you feel, my FI and I have been dating for two years, we started dating my senior year of high school and after a year of dating I knew I'd marry him one day, and then we broke up for almost nine months, and he came back to me then in February he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him and I couldn't be happier. But since i'm still in school, (he finished last year.) so we are waiting a year and a half to get married. I will almost be 22 by the time we get married, but it sucks so much waiting, we've already found a place to live, but he will move in first and I won't be able to move in until we are married. And it will be even more hard because I will be in the middle of nursing school by the time we get married. Very stressful but I can't wait to marry my best friend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards