Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to word parking suggestions on the info card

Still working on the wording of invites and we are debating about this one. We can't get a reserved parking lot for our guest (Their is a hockey game that night so no one will do the normal packages for us when they can charge up to $30 a car later that night)

Does this sound ok? 

Due to the XXX game that night we suggest finding parking near Reception site and walking  to the Ceremony. The parking lots in that area are free or close to it during the days but on game days they fill up around 6pm and charge a fee.  For hotel guests we suggest walking (3 blocks) or taking the subway. More details on the website.  

Re: How to word parking suggestions on the info card

• Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I think the line that says "The parking lots in that area are free or close to it during the days, but on game days they fill up..." is worded a bit oddly. It isn't clear what time the lots actually start charging, since you say they're free and then say immediately after that they charge. Maybe change it so that the exact time they start charging is easy to determine.

Is there any way you and your FI can pay for your guests to park in a particular lot (perhaps at your reception venue), since they might otherwise have to pay up to $30? I understand that there's a game, but I just don't agree with asking people to pay to attend a wedding reception.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    What time is your ceremony?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm running into the same problem with parking, only certain lots are open to the public, others have permits, and others are private-- I would just put a memo in that parking may be difficult and then just direct them to the website for more details like "Parking is limited, please see our website or call x person ..... for details and suggestions, and place that on a small card in the envelope with directions, etc. For the few people that don't have a computer, they can call your parents or someone else-- thought that may be just your grandparents and you'll probably give them transportation.
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    Do you have a wedding website that you could put all of that info on?  Also, have you looked into getting a shuttle service for the day?  Maybe if you rented a limo you could have them shuttle guests from a parking lot to the ceremony and back?  My only  concern for you is that your wedding is in late November and in Buffalo (I'm assuming you mean a Sabres game from your location) there is a good chance that it will be freezing cold and snowing.  Just something to consider for you.

I definitely think you should mention parking with your situation somewhere, but with that much wording I don't know if it belongs on the invite.  Are you doing a seperate card for it?  If you have a website you could just mention on one of the cards "please visit our website at __________________ for information on parking, directions, etc. "
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also assume that your wedding is in downtown Buffalo (since there's only one city with a pro hockey team and a subway in upstate NY...). Anyway, how much does it cost to park at the hotel? Can you see if you can workout a deal with them where you'll pay for your guests to park there and then walk to the wedding? (And if they want to park closer, they can do so at their own cost, but I really don't think they'll get much closer than 3 blocks.) The issue is that there are multiple lots in that area and they all charge different fees depending on how close they are to the arena, so it would be hard to get a specific lot and rent it out, IMO.

Alternatively, I have a friend who used to work for a valet service for hire. If your venue doesn't have a valet service or parking, I'd think about perhaps figuring out something like that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    The ceremony is at 2 pm - most of the guests have said they just plan to go to Pearl Street or the hotel for a few cocktails in between the church and reception. The Parking lots aren't willing to deal because we are offering $300 to get a lot where they could make $6,000 if they just wait for the hockey traffic.

But they don't clear the free lots during the day hense why we are trying to direct people to go there -so they don't have to pay. We have no money to provide a shuttle not only for money but I have no idea where we'd be shuttling them too since my concern is more of the people driving in just for the wedding and not staying at the hotel.

This would be on a seperate insert card - but I like the idea of keeping it short and sweet in there and directing people to the website.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_word-parking-suggestions-info-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ad5ee182-3b0b-4eaa-8775-c503ea49a1f7Post:b70a6588-6533-4f65-bfac-4b8eb202aed4">How to word parking suggestions on the info card</a>:
    [QUOTE]Still working on the wording of invites and we are debating about this one. We can't get a reserved parking lot for our guest (Their is a hockey game that night so no one will do the normal packages for us when they can charge up to $30 a car later that night) Does this sound ok?  Due to the XXX game that night we suggest finding parking near Reception site and walking   to the Ceremony. The parking lots in that area are free or close to it during the days but on game days they fill up around 6pm and charge a fee.   For hotel guests we suggest walking (3 blocks) or taking the subway. More details on the website.  
    Posted by Themis278[/QUOTE]

I would say:

Due to the xxx game which takes place on the wedding day, we suggest parking near Reception and walking to Ceremony as parking lots will likely fill by 6pm and begin charging high fees.  For hotel guests, we suggest walking to Ceremony.  For more details, please visit our website at xyz. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dani is wise... 
  • Options
    Dani - perfect thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards