Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How do you preserve/freeze the top later of the cake?

Our cake baker is going to give us a box for the venue to place our top layer in, but beyond that it's up to us to store it properly. Is there any special way to store and freeze teh cake? I don't want it to get freezer burned.

Re: How do you preserve/freeze the top later of the cake?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I heard that you should wrap it in foil, then wrap it in plastic wrap, them foil it again.

I also heard an idea of cutting it into 12 pieces and eat one piece on every "monthiversary".  This way you can enjoy the cake all year long (and honestly, you won't want to eat the entire top tier in one sitting!).  If you go this route, you should separate each piece so it's easier to remove.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I've always heard to make sure it is wrapped tightly.  Also, if your cake is made with fondant, know that fondant sweats when it is chilled/thawed, and it will likely not be pretty afterwards.  It should still taste fine though.
  • edited December 2011
    I make wedding cakes for a profession, you need to wrap your top tier in two layers of plastic wrap; then a layer of foil, and then place it back into the box that your baker is providing.  The key is to wrap it tightly - air is your enemy here!  Have a great wedding!
  • baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Jagore, I really like that idea of one piece a month for a year.  I've never heard of that before.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• luckyme502luckyme502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is a tradition, but I just could not eat a cake that had been in the freezer for 12 months.  It just grosses me out to think of it.  Our baker makes a small cake for free for your one year anniversary!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure to remove the cardboard!!! otherwise it will taste like cardboard.  5 layers saran then 5 layers foil.  Should be relatively fresh after the year.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ate ours for Valentine's  Day (I couldn't wait).  Our instructions were in there and it said wrap in plastic, then foil, then put in airtight container like the PP said (ours was in a cake box and the box was also wrapped in foil).  It had cardboard under it but didn't taste like cardboard.  It tasted great. 
  • edited December 2011
    I know it's traditions but ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!! maybe i get grossed out because my parents had theirs in our freezer for YEARS! 
    But you might be able to work out a deal from your baker to make a new cake for your one year anniversary in the same flavor/style and it'll be really fresh!
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The idea grosses me out too :(  So we served our top layer at a dinner party with friends the night after the wedding.  Granted, it was a DW so getting it home frozen would have been an ordeal...  But there was no way we'd have eaten it a year later.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm also in the "get a six inch cake in the same flavor for your anniversary" camp.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards