Latino Weddings

How do you say Lazo & Arraz in English? help!

Hi Ladies,
so as of you all know... in Hispanic weddings we have padrinos... well I have padrinos for Lazo and Arraz but I don't know how to say them in english for the invitation - do any of you have an idea of how do you say "LAZO" and "ARRAZ" ??? THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I just need to send the invites asap THANK YOU!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
www.mrandmrsponce.com

Re: How do you say Lazo & Arraz in English? help!

• jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked FI (who's Puerto Rican)... and he said that he's seen the lazo translated as (conjoining) rope/lace and arraz as coins.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    Arras is coins but if you are using a rosary as your lazo, you should call it rosary.  I think lace would be confusing to English speaking guests because they would immediately think encaje, not cordon.  At least that's what I thought.  It took me a good minute or two to figure out why someone would translate lazo as lace.

If you aren't using a rosary, you could say rope or laso (although I don't like that since it reminds me of cowboys) or you could just not translate it and give an explanation in your programs instead.  Actually, you'll need an explanation of both no matter what since your non-latino guests aren't going to understand it even with a translation.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's necessary to translate that into English. We didn't... If an English Only guest has a question about it they can look it up, but as it is a purely hispanic, but well known, tradition the need to translate is minimal.
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_say-lazo-arraz-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:69405aa3-d47f-487e-9306-3db02d1eac28Post:d014f183-be10-4441-8087-6de0580ec835">Re: How do you say Lazo & Arraz in English? help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Arras is coins but if you are using a rosary as your lazo, you should call it rosary.  I think lace would be confusing to English speaking guests because they would immediately think encaje, not cordon.  At least that's what I thought.  It took me a good minute or two to figure out why someone would translate lazo as lace. If you aren't using a rosary, you could say rope or laso (although I don't like that since it reminds me of cowboys) or you could just not translate it and give an explanation in your programs instead.  Actually, you'll need an explanation of both no matter what since your non-latino guests aren't going to understand it even with a translation.
    Posted by heidi1068[/QUOTE]

Lol- maybe my FI's just weird? He's also not highly religious and has never witnessed a lazo involved in a wedding. He originally said "rope," but thought "lace" sounded prettier than the latter.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    lasso and coins.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, lace can be pretty...but it is totally different than a rope or a rosary, which would be actual translations.
  • edited December 2011
    THANKS!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • edited December 2011
    You are so right. No need to translate. But if you really want to it's the following:

Unity rosary and unity coins
    Happy to be prego Mel :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_say-lazo-arraz-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:69405aa3-d47f-487e-9306-3db02d1eac28Post:a15d992d-95a7-4121-91b9-591406a5be90">Re: How do you say Lazo & Arraz in English? help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]lasso and coins.
    Posted by pollyguts[/QUOTE]

i 2nd this
    TTC #1 since 11/2010
    Me: 33 dx PCOS 11/2012
    DH: 37 SA 6/2012 - normal
    Cycle #1 on 50 mg Clomid 12/2012 - unsucessful
    Cycle #2 on 75 mg Clomid + Trigger 01/2013 - unsucessful
    Cycle #3 on 600 mg Vitex + acupuncture 02/2013

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board