Wedding Etiquette Forum

four-thirty or 4:30...?

I'm getting ready to ok the final proof of my invitation. I have the reception start time of 4:30 written out as "four-thirty in the afternoon". I don't know why but it's starting to look weird to me. Should it be 4:30 p.m. or four-thirty in the afternoon?

Re: four-thirty or 4:30...?

• I used half past four.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Half past the hour of four? 
  • I've seen some examples of it spelled that way too. Using a hyphenated word just looks odd to me.
  • The proper way is half after four in the afternoon.

Some say half past four, but many say that half past is used for funerals not weddings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The reception info is on the invite along with the ceremony info. I just realized that I have the time for the ceremony at one o'clock in the afternoon and then the reception at four-thirty in the afternoon. "In the afternoon" sounds too repetitive now...any ideas on how to word my reception info? Right now I have:

Reception to Follow
    At four-thirty in the afternoon
    City Community Hall
    555 East Allen Street
    City, State

Of course info has been changed/omitted.

• If you've already said one o'clock in the afternoon, you don't have to repeat "in the afternoon".  It's clearly not at 4:30 in the morning.

I would do this:

Reception to follow
    half after four o'clock
    Venue Name
    address
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_four-thirty-430?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c7750831-1e76-4837-b0dd-b852f6663b5aPost:c6669238-c449-4fae-b9ce-924ac65479bf">Re: four-thirty or 4:30...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The proper way is half after four in the afternoon. Some say half past four, but many say that half past is used for funerals not weddings.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

<div>This. And technically you do not need "in the afternoon," so only include it if you want to. </div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards