North Carolina-Outer Banks

2 hours to get to the reception?!

We finally set a date and have our venue pretty well down pat. After looking for a photographer, however, we were told that for the week we are planning to get married it can take up to 2 hours to get from Duck to 108 Budleigh. (Our date is Friday July 6th 2012) We were planning on a beach ceremony and then heading down to Manteo. This scares me that it can take that long! Does anyone have any suggestions. I'd prefer to stay on the beach (not the sound) for the ceremony.

Re: 2 hours to get to the reception?!

• mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's because Friday-Sunday are check in/out days.  It depends on the time of day and which direction you're going.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

No, no, no....it will NOT take 2 hours to get there from Duck.  On a good day, you can make the drive in about 30 minutes, if that.  Even on a busy day, the MOST it would take you is maybe 45-50 minutes and even that is a stretch.  Even though some homes allow a Friday check-in, that is a small percentage of them b/c the majority of homes is a Sat check-in and then Sunday.  I know that Duck only has a 2 lane road going in and out, but I still couldn't imagine it taking that long on a Friday evening.  Most people are fighting to GET IN to that area, not out of it on a Friday night.

I am going down August 13th so I will clock the time it takes to get from Duck to Manteo, b/c that is exactly where we are headed once we get to the island.  I will definitely let you know.

• edited December 2011
    We've done the drive a ton (my FI's parents live in Duck and our venue is at MP16).  If your wedding is at 10am, it could take that long, just because getting from Duck to Kitty Hawk really does take forever. If your wedding is in the afternoon,  30ish minutes should be about right. 
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Keep in mind that it's also 4th of July week/weekend so it very well may take a little longer than expected.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_2-hours-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:c9740128-1fb1-4cfc-8190-d3e1c51e8a8bPost:000037b5-9fe6-427a-9061-e2911d403485">Re: 2 hours to get to the reception?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, no, no....it will NOT take 2 hours to get there from Duck.  On a good day, you can make the drive in about 30 minutes, if that.  Even on a busy day, the MOST it would take you is maybe 45-50 minutes and even that is a stretch.  Even though some homes allow a Friday check-in, that is a small percentage of them b/c the majority of homes is a Sat check-in and then Sunday.  I know that Duck only has a 2 lane road going in and out, but I still couldn't imagine it taking that long on a Friday evening.  Most people are fighting to GET IN to that area, not out of it on a Friday night.<strong> I am going down August 13th so I will clock the time it takes to get from Duck to Manteo, b/c that is exactly where we are headed once we get to the island.  I will definitely let you know.</strong>
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

Thanks, OBX! That would be awesome! FI and I always stay in Duck and I never really thought it took that long to get to down that way. Like you said Duck only has 2 lanes. Usually our longest wait is trying to pull out of the development onto Duck Rd.

I've never been down that way the week of the 4th of July, though. Are you all suggesting that it may be 1 hr tops to get to Manteo?
  • obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4th of july week is VERY busy.  It takes me sometimes close to 1/2 an hour to get from the WMB to my house at MP 11.  I don't think it will take 2 hours, but it will probably take close to or over 1.
  • jtlassjtlass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

i would alllow an hour to an hour and a half.  its forty five minutes from ss to manteo on a good day. i know i have driven that route for over twenty years. there is a beautiful beach in south nags head at mile post 20. it is the last one before park service land.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards