Connecticut

Wedding songs

Are you all having the classic wedding songs played?  Such as the Electric Slide, Macarana, Cha Cha, "We are Family" and/or "Celebrate good times"?  FI wants to have those songs played because he thinks they would get the older people out on the floor.  I veto'd that pretty quickly...(no offense to anyone who likes these songs).  I just see our wedding as being more of a fun, young, top 40ish type thing where if the elder people don't want to dance then what am I gonna do?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Wedding songs

• Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have 2 suggestions.  1. Talk to your DJ and see if he will try to avoid them but if he needs to get the older people are dancing throw one or 2 of them on just to get people on the floor.  2.  Make a compromise with your FI and put a few on your do not play list so that your wedding won't be overwhelmed with them but that there may be a few.

• edited December 2011
    I don't knoe if we'll do all of the line dances, maybe one to get some people on the floor that like that, but in my FI's family it's a tradition to play "We are family" and his whole family gets out on the floor dancing, so I guess we have to do that one!  I'd like to play songs that a popular now, but I also want to make sure I appeal to everyone that is coming.
    Anniversary
  • rainqueen044rainqueen044 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my FI came to an agreement that we would meet halfway. we choose 2 songs that we agreed would keep in the play list and then added the rest to the "do not play list"
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011
    I think we may play 1 or 2 or those type of songs, but besides that we are staying away from those songs.  Just don't my wedding to become the chicken dance/macarana event.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't do any type of those songs and everyone of every age was out on the dance floor.  It's up to you, but older people are cooler than we think, I think, LOL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mlprck27mlprck27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing any of those songs and were happy when they were already on our DJ's personal do not play list.  I don't think any of your older guests will be upset if they can't dance to the YMCA.  They are going to enjoy themselves whatever music is played! 
  • wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you can just give some song selections to your DJ and let him figure out.  Usually a good DJ will watch the crowd and adjust music selection to fit the crowd.  so if he doesn't see older people dancing with that music then he will play something more appropriate to their era.

Trust me, the day will go by so fast you won't even notice the songs they play!  I don't even know if my DJ played a lot of the songs we had suggested, but apparently some guests reflected they did hear the songs lol
  • edited December 2011
    I think most of those types of songs will be off our list lol because we do want the young vibe, maybe try some like rock stuff like Journey I know a little cheezy as well but better than the Macarena in my opinion and maybe some good oldies like 50's?
  • blipsettprblipsettpr member
    edited December 2011
    I love these songs. Not the chicken dance though. I want a very fun and interactive wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards