September 2012 Weddings

Advice for September 2012 brides goes here!~

* Give a list of must take pictures to your photographer for the day.  Those pictures will be your memories and if you have even an idea of some that you want, write them down and give them to the photographer!  Disappointment in your pictures will last forever, so make sure to be clear with your photographer! 

* Eat! In the morning and most importantly at the reception.  Try to have a member of the WP  or venue staff grab a plate of appetizers so you and H (yay!) can eat a snack and spend a couple minutes alone together.  As for the reception, we only ate salads and then had the kitchen hold our meals (off the buffet) until 1030 that night. 

*Also, have someone (the event coordinator at our venue for us) put aside your dessert in your room for after the reception to enjoy!  It was awesome having 3 different kinds of cupcakes waiting for us in the bridal suite.

If you have a Type A personality, or just like to be organized, dont be ashamed to give the WP and/or family members a day of timeline. You might get teased and made fun of, in a loving way of course, but it will come in handy when people need to know where they need to be and you do not want to answer 50 million questions!

* Have a cardbox that has a lid or a slot.  We used a basket provided by the venue and 12 of our cards were stolen from the reception. 

* Enjoy the day, little things will go wrong, but at the end of the day the most important (and best) thing is that you married your best friend.
rA Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest
100 books in 2012 - progress 35/100 my read shelf:
Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Advice for September 2012 brides goes here!~

• edited August 2012
    * Give a list of must take pictures to your photographer for the day.  Those pictures will be your memories and if you have even an idea of some that you want, write them down and give them to the photographer!  Disappointment in your pictures will last forever, so make sure to be clear with your photographer! 

* Eat! In the morning and most importantly at the reception.  Try to have a member of the WP  or venue staff grab a plate of appetizers so you and H (yay!) can eat a snack and spend a couple minutes alone together.  As for the reception, we only ate salads and then had the kitchen hold our meals (off the buffet) until 1030 that night. 

*Also, have someone (the event coordinator at our venue for us) put aside your dessert in your room for after the reception to enjoy!  It was awesome having 3 different kinds of cupcakes waiting for us in the bridal suite.

If you have a Type A personality, or just like to be organized, dont be ashamed to give the WP and/or family members a day of timeline. You might get teased and made fun of, in a loving way of course, but it will come in handy when people need to know where they need to be and you do not want to answer 50 million questions!

* Have a cardbox that has a lid or a slot.  We used a basket provided by the venue and 12 of our cards were stolen from the reception. 

* Enjoy the day, little things will go wrong, but at the end of the day the most important (and best) thing is that you married your best friend.
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited August 2012
    Congrats ladies! I hope you all have a lot of fun on your wedding day!

~I agree - EAT! Don't be afraid to ask a friend or mom to look out for you and remind you to eat. Oh, and CAKE, eat your cake. I only got the bite that H shoved in my face. The caterer cut it in the staging area and brought it out individually and never served us (??)

~Find moments to enjoy the day with each other. I know, it sounds dumb. But your time will be heavily divided among other people.

~make lists, check 'em twice, or thrice, or whatever. Make sure you remember the basic things -I had no deodorant, hair brush, toothpaste, etc. when I got to our condo. Duh.

~be nice. Seriously. And breathe. Everyone is there because they love you, so no matter how stressed you are, don't ruin everyone's time by getting snippy, asking too much of people, or just generally being a beeyatch. I've seen it happen and it's not fun being on the receiving end off a stressed-out bride's wrath. Be happy, that's what it's all about.

~Get as much as possible completed at least 2 or 3 days ahead of time. Take some time the night before to relax with family, wedding party, friends, or anyone you want to remember this time with.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • edited August 2012
    Typing on my phone, so it'll look like a blob. :P okay, heres mine: again, eat! Tell your MOH to make sure you eat breakfast an lunch, and if you have a later wedding, dinner before the ceremony. You will not get to eat much at the reception, but you WILL be drinking. Trust me. something will go wrong. A groomsman will be late. Your cake will get messed up. Something. But as long as you end up married, the day is a success. Let me say it again.. if you end the day married, all is good. Everything else is just gravy. that list you emailed your photog? Print it out and have it when they get to the getting ready room or wherever. Mine forgot his and there's a lot of shots I wanted that I'm missing. early september girls, especially labor day weekend girls go look at August girls recaps! I can't tell you how many pictures I didn't realize I wanted until after the other girls got married, and it was too late for me. anyone who saved sex for marriage: it's going to be okay. I was one of you. Don't be scared to ask the girls what it's like and what to expect. Don't be scared at all. He loves you, and you will be glad you waited. It's worth the wait. for most of you, especially labor day weekend in the south... It's going to be hot as balls. Your bridal party will complain about it, even though you're in several layers and they're in knee length dresses. Either tell them to STFU because you get these pictures exactly one time.. Or make them take more pictures inside. But don't be a pushover like I was... I'm sure I'll add more later, that's all I've got for now!
  • Callie22589Callie22589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    First off, congratulations on making it this far!  These next few days will just fly by!

~I agree with just about everything the other girls have said.  I really wish I would have made a list for photos because there are pictures that we didn't take that I wish we would have. 

~I also didn't have any food(besides a protein bar) for about 7 hours (maybe more than that).  We also didn't get to eat much at the reception because there were so many people wanting to talk to us.  Escape to the kitchen or somewhere private for a few minutes during the reception so you can eat and spend time with each other.  Our caterers and DOC were great because they boxed up some of the food so we could take it with us in the car on the way to our honeymoon.  

~Check and double-check your day-of schedules.  I wish I would have scheduled my hair appointment earlier so I could have spent some time with my girls and gotten some pictures before hand.  Make sure you have adequate time to relax and not feel rushed.  

~Soak everything up!  The day goes by so fast and it will be over before you know it.  Talk to everyone who was there.  Spend a few minutes with your new husband in a private place between the ceremony and reception.  That is the most exciting time because you have finally realized everything is done!  

~Things will go wrong.  Some of our programs had their pages out of order.  I'm sure the people who got those programs had no idea and didn't really care.  Just take those things in stride and remember that, at the end of the day, you have just married your best friend.  
    Anniversary
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Hello Brides!! Very soon you will be wife's!! Congrats!

My Advice:

-Take a deep breath, things will go wrong but it will all be okay!
    -Make sure you give your list of photos to your photographer, and either your Mom, or MOH, they will be a great advocate for you.
    -Make sure to tell your Bridal Party to smile walking down the isle, also that they don't want boob flowers! (hold your flowers at a angle to the front of you)
    -If you are doing a first look, make sure your groom isn't wearing sunglasses!!! (mine was!)
    -Above all, Have fun! Make sure to make it to as many tables as you can, hang out with friends after the older crowd leaves!!

Good Luck!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited August 2012
    If youre doing your hair in an iPod, or even a half one... Take advil when they start it. Just trust me.
  • edited August 2012
    Dont sweat the small details.. if your table settings are just not quite right.. you will probably be the only one that notices.. at a certain point you cannot do anything more.. let small things go.. it will reduce your stress level so much!

Sept 2011 Feb...
    imageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Make sure you have a solid day of timeline, with enough wiggle room for things to unexpectedly pop up, but not enough wiggle room that there is no structure, make sure that timeline is communicated to all parties and vendors involved, and then just enjoy the day. 

I really think the best thing you can do is just enjoy the day.  If possible, have everything taken care of two days before the wedding, so the day before and the day of, you can relax and enjoy the people who have come to celebrate you and your FI.  It really is a great time.  And make sure that you appreciate that all of those people came out to support you.  Good luck!

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • edited August 2012

The PP's have pretty much covered it all.

-Yes, things will probably go wrong, but don't let that stress you!  Most likely it will be small things, things that most people wont even notice. Relax.

-Have someone keep an eye on the time.  Getting ready takes longer than you think.

-Ditto the advise to give someone other than your photog the must-take list!!!!  Don't be afraid to speak up if you think something should be done differently. Just don't be bitchy about it  :)

-A lot of people will tell you to make sure to visit with all of your guests.  Yes, this is nice, but not to the extent that you miss out on your reception!  Enjoy it, take time to dance!!!

-If you haven't already, and can afford it, get your makeup done professionally!  So worth it not to have your mascara dripping down your face!  Best money I ever spent!!

Anniversary
  • nic9911nic9911 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Ditto everything PP's said. Regarding weather don't be discouraged if its raining. There was a flood, seriously, the day we got married. The ceremony was moved to a covered porch, where the cocktail hour was supposed to be, and cocktail hour moved to a library. It worked out well and we still got great pics. Lots of gray raining ones but cute rainboots and umbrelllas. Enjoy your day ladies and congrats.
    imagetotes-your call/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited August 2012

Full, blinding sun is not good for photos!  None of my pictures show the detail on my dress :(

Anniversary
  • tseguintseguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Rain does not ruin a wedding day. So if it happens to rain, don't worry!  Your wedding day is what you make of it.  It poured on ours, yes very disappointing to say the least, but that is life.  We still had an amazing time and beautiful pictures.

Make sure to try a bite of your own wedding cake. 

If you want a good party with lots of people dancing, then be up on the dance floor. People go where the bride is! 

The day goes by faster than you can even imagine. Try to take in everything and enjoy every moment.
  • edited August 2012
    So nice to see all you ladies pop in for advice :)
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited August 2012
    I agree, full, blinding sun is no good. All of our group/family photos were taken like that and we look pale, washed out, and squinty.

and I think Julia meant "up-do" not Ipod...she Knots from her phone and it does silly things to her :)
  • edited August 2012
    That's exactly what I meant dawn, thank you!
  • Thanks for the tips Sept 2011 brides!

For those of you that did give your photographer a must take list, how many photos did you list... I made mine and I feel like it may be too long.
    Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Never, ever, ever too many!  These are your memories.  I only did a few - and I regret it.
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree, never too many.  Some of them may be no brainers, but go over it with your photog ahead of time.
    Anniversary
  • Thank you so much ladies!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks ladies! This is so sweet, and I didn't realize that eating was such a problem, I'll have to make sure to set some time for lunch :)

Thanks again!

• Thank you for all of the great advice ladies. :-)
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • If anyone is still reading this: 

Smile as you come down the aisle.  If someone is walking with you, ask them ahead of time to keep you happy/smiling with a joke or whatever.

Hold your bouquet down by your "middle".  You don't want to hold them up by your face!
    Anniversary
  • Little more late advice...

Take your time walking down the aisle to your hubby and when you guys are leaving after the ceremony.  I felt as though my dad and I went way to quickly going down and, when watching our video, it looked like H and I were speed walking out of there.  We certainly didn't mean to, but it just happened.  Slow down!
    Anniversary
  • FInally just getting time to sit down and read all this. Thank you SO much for your advice. Just fired off an email to my DOC to make sure desserts are sent to our honeymoon suite, and working on a 'must have' list for the photographer as we speak :)
  • Thanks so much for the advice! I'm getting married this Friday.  I JUST read my "must have photos" list to my fiance and he said it sounded a little long...but I'd rather NOT regret not having it later. If they aren't all in there, fine....but hey these photographers aren't cheap, so we might as well get what we want, right!? I absolutely cannot wait for this Friday. I didn't want to eat much because I didn't want to look bloated, but I suppose I'd rather not get drunk after two drinks due to an empty stomach, so thanks for THAT advice!

Laura 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you so much for all these advices!!!Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards