Flowers
Options

Flower ID

Hi all!  I was wondering if anyone would be able to ID all the flowers in this image.  My FI is going to try to grow all the wedding flowers himself, and just fell for this bouquet.  All I know is that there are white peonies (most likely paeony lactitolia), lavender scabiosa (most likely scabiosa perfecta) and blue tweedia.

http://www.theknot.com/weddings/photo/white-and-purple-bridal-bouquet-103176
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flower ID

• Options
    sweet peas,lilac's
  • Options
    Thanks Flower_Diva...anything else?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The longish bunches of small flowers are lilacs. Chances are you will be unable to grow those in time for your wedding because they grow on a large tree/bush that only blooms for 2 weeks, all at once, then not again that year. I have 6 lilac bushes in my yard. When you buy them they are generally about 1-2 feet tall. It takes at minimum 3-4 years to get any real volume of flowers from them. I know because I have several in my yard. Around here they generally bloom sometime during the first 2 weeks of May, but that has varied in recent years because we've had a very mild week of weather in March, then freezing again, and they bloomed in late April. But it is an impossible plant to plan around your wedding.

Peonies are the same way. If you buy a peony bush this year, it may only grown 3-5 buds the first year. My peony bushes have bloomed in late May, early June, religiously since I got them a few years ago. Again, they are a bush that blooms according to Mother Nature and can't really be "timed" to bloom when you want them for an event like your wedding.

You might want to find other flowers that have similar looks to that bouquet, or you may be disappointed. Based on your ticker, it appears you are getting married in late April 2014. You might want to check with family and friends who have large gardens with these types of bushes to watch when they bloom this year in your area for some idea of how hard this might be. You'd need an extremely mild winter in 2014, with consisten temps in the 50's and 60's in March and April for the lilacs to bloom that early. The peonies still wouldn't bloom more than a month early with that type of weather.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you Sue-n-Kevin.  I currently have a 1 year old lilac bush.  I might just substitute the peonies for ranonculus.  My wedding is actually going to be in May 2015.  Worse comes to worse, I can find a florist if my FI can't get the lilacs to bloom on time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards