New Jersey
Options

thanks gov. christie

Re: thanks gov. christie

• Options
    Heater020780Heater020780 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Teachers do not get the respect that they deserve.  My husband teaches and I work for the State ....Christie is going to screw the both of us and it will just keep on getting worse.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any teacher worth a damn works way more than 5.5 hours a day... whether it is at home or in school...   grading papers, spending hours writing lesson plans every week, creating thorough websites, writing IEPs, working before and after school hours with struggling students and all the other countless requirements we have is REAL work despite your beliefs that they are not.
    imageimage
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brad, do you have a source for your calculation of how much you'd have to make for it to be equal?  I'd particularly be interested in hearing how much "job security" is worth...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:1ba70471-3c1c-4a75-aba7-b645cfdac940">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]you are all still missing the point, I am not bashing a teacher or teachers.  It is the system that is screwed up.  They are way overpaid or I am WAAAAAAAAAY underpaid, but I work in a free market, so my pay is based on the market, so I cant be too underpaid or I would quit, so that leaves us with teachers being overpaid. We need teachers to educate our kids, and I am sure most of them are GREAT, but that doesnt change the fact that they are grossly overpaid and their benefits are insanely better than the rest of the job market.  Just having a pension is insane these days, people havent had pensions for 20-30 years.  There should be no tenure.  People would laugh if I said I should have tenure.... They shouldnt have a union which is why they make so much, they tug at people's hearts by saying it is all about the children and they threaten to strike and everyone caves in and they get their demands.  Can you imagine me asking my boss for COLA, or retro raises, they would laugh in my face!!!!
    Posted by brad1431[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>back peddle...back peddle</div><div>
    </div><div>also your company must be cheap even i got a COL raise.

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it also looks like you are getting your wish b/c christie also wants to cut new teachers pensions & make them pay more for health care.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brad, you are bashing teachers. You are saying that they are not worth what they get paid.

I think you would agree that it is CRUCIAL to have well-qualified, intelligent teachers. The cream of the crop, right?

Well, who the hell is going to take a job where people like you berate them for $25K? Not the most qualified people, not even close.

Teaching is extremely difficult and, despite what your pajama loving people thing, it is HARD work. Teachers earn every dollar they make and are seldom thanked for all we do outside the parameters of the job.

If you want to make more money, that is understandable. But don't dump on others because you are dissatisfied with what you have.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    upper east I already gave the calculation earlier, look back.  And for the person who again said that teachers dont work 5.5 hours a day I already answered that also, that absolutely WORK 5.5 hours a day.  I already said we aer excluding overtime which is your grading papers in your pj's watching crap like grey hair anatomy or dancing with no stars, that is excluded from my calculation.  And you want it excluded cause my Overtime would be much more than that.  Most days I work between 10-13 hours a day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can try and justify your logic as much as you want... it is still warped in your favor and I am done with this.  My special ed students have more reasoning abilities than you.

Goodnight.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin just started working at a school in Philly -- she came early & cleaned up the room -- which took days. How was she thanked? her bag was stolen by another employee. She works countless hours w/children who lead very difficult lives. One student who was very shy & just started to open up to my cousin was found dead in her home the first month of teaching b/c her parents beat her to death. That same first month during school kids broke out into a fight in the middle of class where there was blood shed. 

Now, this does not just happen in inner-city schools. My mom worked in Red Bank middle school where kids were beating each other up in the halls & pulling the other kids hair out etc. 

My other friends mom has become permanently disabled b/c she tried to break up a fight in a NJ school -- her neck problems are so severe that she is in so much pain she can't sleep through the night & her home must constantly be at 90 degrees. 

Teachers do more than just grade papers & teacher them reading & writing -- they are there to protect them & teach them life lessons. Many parents aren't around (as it appears you won't be with that work schedule) & they have to teach them right & wrong when their parents can't or won't. I hope one day a teacher saves your child's life or makes them into a better person & you can come back here & tell everyone how teachers are greedy & overpaid. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:f63e26ec-522b-43d0-9649-74e0b9dc53c5">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]upper east I already gave the calculation earlier, look back.  And for the person who again said that teachers dont work 5.5 hours a day I already answered that also, that absolutely WORK 5.5 hours a day.  I already said we aer excluding overtime which is your grading papers in your pj's watching crap like grey hair anatomy or dancing with no stars, that is excluded from my calculation.  And you want it excluded cause my Overtime would be much more than that.  Most days I work between 10-13 hours a day.
    Posted by brad1431[/QUOTE]

<div>Pulling numbers out of thin air =/= calculation.</div><div>
    </div><div>You didn't answer why you don't go to a big 4 firm, where you'd get a lot more vacation, better benefits, and good upward mobility, btw.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, when my husband works from home all day on Saturday (working on an audit) in his pajamas, on the couch, with me watching tv in the background), that really doesn't count as work?  Or when I work all day from home on weekends?  That really sucks.  (Also, I guess I should stop billing clients for jammie time.)</div>
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be honest and say that I have not read all the responses, but you are seriously unreal.  Not all teachers make that kind of money it depends on your district and what your union has negotiated for the teachers and lenght of service in that district.  Also just because you are a teacher that is one thing, but VP, Principles, AD's and Superintendents actually work the whole year. 

MH is a teacher and makes crap.  So get your effing facts together before you start to post crap about teachers. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brad... go jump off a cliff.

I am a teacher.  I don't even make 50k.  My TOP salary is 80k and it takes 19 years to make that so obviously your "friends and family" that are teachers a lying out of their A$$es that they make that much in 8 years. 

I teach 105 students a day.  I don't understand how people can say that teachers are overpaid when we educate their children.  You wouldn't be where you are today without teachers.  If you think I am overpaid then I gladly ask you to walk into my classroom at 9am when the bell rings and get all of the supplies for my science labs ready and run off copies for notes and write my lesson plans WHILE the students are there doing nothing.  You wouldn't be able to.  I have to do all of that on my prep time and before or after school.  So as far as your logic goes, we work MORE than 5.5 hours a day.  The school day is not our only working period.  Get your facts straight. 

People like you infuriate me.  More importantly you infuriate me with everything you ever say.  I don't know how someone would want to marry such an ungrateful jerk.  Go back in life and see where you would get without having teachers in your life.  Since you think we are grossly overpaid, then please, give me some of your salary becuase I'm sure you don't do as much as I do.  I don't care that you haven't been home before 10pm for 2 months and that you have to pay into your 401k.  You will be able to put away more in your 401k then I will ever be able to make and survive off of in 1 year.  I pay my part into the pension and because the State hasn't paid theirs, I most likely won't even get my pension.  So in that case, I THINK the salaries of teachers should be RAISED to make up the lack of pension for me later.  How do you like THAT Brad. 

Go back to work and stop knotting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it's really pointless to argue with an insane person....don't you know he knows everything because his mother is a teacher and grades homework in her pj's so that means all teachers are exactly like his mom and get the same pay and do everything exactly the same?  don't you guys know that already.  And of course he works 10-13 hours sitting on the knot and doesn't get paid as much so he is entitled to bash all teachers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and one last thing about the 5.5 hours... yes those may be the require hours in school, but all of those "overtime" tasks are also REQUIRED to do your job, as in if you dont do it during the day then it is still has to be done on time.  so your argument just doesnt hold water in my opinion

Now I say goodnight, I am going to sit my fat overpaid ass on the couch and write my IEP reports.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I am not a teacher & if I went on TK at work I'd be fired in a heartbeat. So maybe you should do a little work when you are AT work then you wouldn't have to "work" so many unpaid hrs. I work 8-9hr days -- if theres a trial i will work late/weekends. I am also very underpaid & my employers 401k contributions were cut by 80% & my health insurance was raised by 30% & I still have no issue w/teacher salaries & pensions b/c I know they work just as hard if not harder than I do.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:d49eae17-6554-461a-b8fc-36d262e8b456">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and one last thing about the 5.5 hours... yes those may be the require hours in school, but all of those "overtime" tasks are also REQUIRED to do your job, as in if you dont do it during the day then it is still has to be done on time.  so your argument just doesnt hold water in my opinion Now I say goodnight, I am going to sit my fat overpaid ass on the couch and write my IEP reports.
    Posted by moscatelloc[/QUOTE]

I have already repeated this AT LEAST 3 times, I excluded Overtime INCLUDING my own.  I work til 11pm and weekends because that is REQUIRED to do my job.  And my overtime is INSANELY higher than a teachers, so I actaully did teachers a favor and excluded overtime.  That would have only made them MORE overpaid.
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not overtime it's our work you douche.  Get off the knot since you "rarely come on anymore"
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brad, you're ignoring something very important in your argument about the "fact" that teachers are overpaid.  Even assuming that they only worked the skimpy hours you say they do, isn't there a lot of value added in what they do?  Good schools bring up property values, help society (because it is better if we aren't a society of undereducated idiots), and create a base of good future workers who will hopefully move back home, etc.  Teachers who don't make good salaries are probably a lot less likely to be engaged and interested in their jobs, which will make the education that the kids receive worse.  We can all argue about how much the good to society really is worth (because this is all OPINION), but at the very least there's another variable in this equation that you've completely ignored.  There's a lot more to an "overpaid" analysis than (salary + benefits)/hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't do us any "favors."
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i just wanted to share with brad that i just got home from my school at 7 this evening. I got there at 7 in the morning. I worked all that time, so that means I worked 12 hours. which according to you brad never happens in teacherland, but guess what it does, and it happens often. i am dedicated to my students, which means it takes a lot of time to make sure i have the best lessons, those lessons are differientated, and that the students have appropriate goals in their IEPs.

i am only a second year teacher, i have my masters, and i do not make 50k. and i would also like to know where you got your facts about teachers in other states making 20-25k?

also i wanted to apologize to all the students that had your mom, sister, and other family members/friends as teachers. if you were barely working and not in the job for the children, then those students must have missed out on a lot. i hope when you reproduce(which i hope never happens) your children will be blessed with  teachers that were as lazy as your family members.

now it is time for me to go do more work..... wait, i am wearing pajamas.... i forgot it isn't work then
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:69e1cfb1-8b2a-41fa-a19d-1e974ab258a3">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]and i would also like to know where you got your facts about teachers in other states making 20-25k?
    Posted by allforyou[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm pretty sure starting salaries in many other states are lower than the starting salaries in NJ (and likewise, the COL in many of those states is lower than the COL in NJ).  At the very least, if Brad is so outraged about his tax dollars going to OUTRAGEOUS teacher salaries, he should let his feet do the talking and move to one of the states where teachers aren't overpaid.  Knowing half of the DNA that his kids will be getting and what the dinner table conversations with mom and dad (well, hopefully dad will still be working lots of overtime and won't have much time to ruin the kids), I doubt it will matter much if they go to crappy schools with bad teachers.
    <div>
    </div></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:32861e26-56ff-4fb1-8855-d6bcc2eb5424">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brad, you're ignoring something very important in your argument about the "fact" that teachers are overpaid.  Even assuming that they only worked the skimpy hours you say they do, isn't there a lot of value added in what they do?  Good schools bring up property values, help society (because it is better if we aren't a society of undereducated idiots), and create a base of good future workers who will hopefully move back home, etc.  Teachers who don't make good salaries are probably a lot less likely to be engaged and interested in their jobs, which will make the education that the kids receive worse.  We can all argue about how much the good to society really is worth (because this is all OPINION), but at the very least there's another variable in this equation that you've completely ignored.  There's a lot more to an "overpaid" analysis than (salary + benefits)/hours.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

you can say that about anyone's job.  Doesnt my job make sure that my company's finances are correct and they dont go bankrupt.  That ensures that the companys 100K plus employees can keep their jobs and their paychecks.  It also allows my company to keep doing charitable work, and we also sell products that make people lives better.  And by ensuring that the company doestn go bankrupt, those 100K people dont lose their jobs which would cause a major blow to the economy and the stock market??  So my job helps people, enhances peoples lives, and keeps our economy from further crashing.  Wow, maybe I am really underpaid, if it wasnt for me, the entire US economy would be worse.
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry brad.. not even a close comparison.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:b82b0551-5016-4580-99f3-7ee330c2b380">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: thanks gov. christie : you can say that about anyone's job.  Doesnt my job make sure that my company's finances are correct and they dont go bankrupt.  That ensures that the companys 100K plus employees can keep their jobs and their paychecks.  It also allows my company to keep doing charitable work, and we also sell products that make people lives better.  And by ensuring that the company doestn go bankrupt, those 100K people dont lose their jobs which would cause a major blow to the economy and the stock market??  So my job helps people, enhances peoples lives, and keeps our economy from further crashing.  Wow, maybe I am really underpaid, if it wasnt for me, the entire US economy would be worse.
    Posted by brad1431[/QUOTE]

<div>ABSOLUTELY!   Which is exactly why whether one (anyone) is "overpaid" (or underpaid) is an opinion rather than a fact!!!  </div>
  • Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I'm reading is waahhhh waaahhhhh waaaahhhhh.  Maybe try finding your fiance and "relieving" some of your stress and bitterness.  If you are so upset find a new job or better yet, move to a different state where there are teachers that make 20k and you can be happy :)
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't read all the posts but just wanted to say that I never could trust a man whos parents think it is a good idea to name their kid Chris Christie.......
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you are missing the fact that the writing lesson plans and grading papers isn't considered overtime -- it is a regular part of the job and NEEDS to be done everyday.  Overtime is extra time dedicated to completing work that could not be finished in a regular work day.

Apparently the teachers you had sucked since this basic idea is flying right over your head.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    chrissy31805chrissy31805 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thanks-gov-christie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:aa04ae96-29da-46bb-93b4-ab53f737a5a2Post:476f151f-a0fd-4f5e-9ab8-2932f117c324">Re: thanks gov. christie</a>:
    #1 i love this -[QUOTE]All I'm reading is waahhhh waaahhhhh waaaahhhhh.  Maybe try finding your fiance and "relieving" some of your stress and bitterness.  If you are so upset find a new job or better yet, move to a different state where there are teachers that make 20k and you can be happy :)
    Posted by kristen8040[/QUOTE]

#2 - i can't believe what  a friggen nightmare i caused! all i wanted to do was complain about the day i had and how i'm upset over the fact that i may lose my job. brad has to come on here and fire back like its the only thing that he has to do with his life..... brad check yourself - you are on a board with 100 other women - you are not going to win this battle, as a matter of fact i think that you have proven the point as to why no one likes you. you are saying the same thing over and over and over again and its ridiculous - no one cares

#3 - thanks to all the teachers who chimed in on this one - i wasn't on the whole night because i went to my FIs house to just relax and watch tv with him. i won't knot when im there because i barely see him as it is so the last thing i want to do is alienate him while im on the computer.

#4- like i said before - its not worth listening to brad and we shouldn't get all bent out of shape about his ridiculous comments.... 

i leave you with one of my fav quotes from billy madison directed towards brad and absolutely perfect for what i have read for the last 3 pages

"what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul" <div>I</div>
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brad- perhaps you're just crappy at what you do or you'd be making more money?  You can't base all of your math off of just YOUR job.  My husband makes a lot more than me. Does that make him over paid or me under paid?

Here's the facts.  Do you want a good education system in NJ? Sure we could pay teachers 25k a year in the highest cost of living state in the country, but lets see the caliber of people stepping up to the job.  You want good people then you have to pay for them.

Quite frankly, love of children or not, I cannot and will not work for 25k a year.  I am ivy league educated with a MA and M.Ed.  My own family needs to come before my job, and I could not support myself on that kind of salary in this state.

I'm also a guidance counselor and not a teacher.  I work in a school and see what the good teachers go through every day.  I am lucky.  I work 7:30-3:00 (not including coaching and other things that I do get paid extra to do).  Teachers work MUCH more than that.  They bring home tests and papers to grade every night.  They also have to plan their lessons.

You keep saying they work 5.5 hours a day when they actually work 7.5.  Everyone gets a lunch break at work, so the half hour off for lunch is a moot point.  They also have duty time and prep time to help prepare for their classes.  Yes, we do get insane vacation time, but our salary also reflects that.  We get paid to work 10 months a year.

Are there bad teachers? ABSOLUTELY! There are also people that are terrible at every job.  Are there not people at your firm who do a crappy job in comparison?

And as I have said before to you, if in your calculations teachers are earning 170k a year, I would call you a damn fool for having no life, working till 11 pm, and getting 5 days of vacation a year.  Why would you want to live like that and basically work for chump change?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I very rarely post and havent been on much recently, but Brad really struck a nerve here. I didnt even read all the postts, so I'm probably repeating what most have already said.

How dare you say how overpaid teachers are. I work in a school with severly autistic kids, and we get paid pennies compared to the amount of work that is done. I dont sit down from 8:45 when the students walk through the doors to 2:45 when they leave. We barely get to each lunch because there are calls for help for a student that is having a behavior. IEPs, progress reports, writing to parents about daily progress or phone conferences with parents... last night we had parent teacher conferences from 1pm-8pm. I bet if a teacher were to work out their yearly salary to what they get paid an hour, you'd see minimum wages for a lot of people. My salary works out so that I'm not even paid for my 45 minute lunch break. I'm after school once a week for an hour for a staff meeting (that isnt paid), back to school night, and 2 nights a year for parent teacher conferences. Plus the school dances that we have, or movie nights, or other activities parents run for the kids that teachers voluntarily go to on weeknights or weekends.

Brad, please dont ever reproduce... I'd hate for another arrogant jackass like you to be roaming this earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards