New York-Western

DJ's and Tipping

This is more of an etiquette question.
My aunt's boyfriend has been good friends with this guy who happens to be a dj in my area.  My aunt suggested him cuz she's heard him and thinks he does a great job.  I trusted them, got in touch with him, and told him how I heard about him.  He told me he'd do my whole wedding (approx 6 hours) for $350 because he trusts his friend and wanted to do me a favor.  So I'm really happy about that, I book it.  Then we listened to him at this local bar (dj/karaoke) this weekend.  I really think he's a great guy, his wife oversees everything to make sure it runs smoothly, and he played some great music.

I asked my aunt and her boyfriend if I'm suppose to tip him on top of the deal he's already giving us.  He has his own equipment, doesn't hire anyone outside to do work, he basically just gives us his time and has a lot of the music we want already.  Her boyfriend said to tip him like $50-$75!  I'm thinking what's the point of the discount then?  My fiance's parents said they didn't tip anybody at their wedding, and they think it's crazy to be expecting extra when the whole point was to get a discount.

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Re: DJ's and Tipping

• degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally you tip the DJ, but because we owns his own business it is not necessary. Also as a side note he is giving you a great deal no matter whether you tip him or not, $350 is a great deal.

There is a website I found that has the E rules about tipping, hopefully that helps.

http://www.brides.com/wedding-answers-tools/wedding-vendors/2010/12/how-to-tip-wedding-vendors-who-to-tip
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the helpful website!  Yeah, I know it says since he's the owner he shouldn't receive a tip, but avg tipping for a dj in general says $25-$50.  I will probably give him around $25-$30 on top of the $350, but no more.  I can't afford to keep raising my budget here and there, and honestly it defeats the purpose of the discount lol.
    I was worried about the reverend who is marrying us needing to be tipped, I suppose a little extra would be good, but she works with like only one other person, she's pretty much a successful self-owned business and she's not directly affiliated with any church.

It's so confusing lol, I don't want to offend anybody.
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Generally money is the only way to tip someone but if it is a friend or something like that you could make them something or buy them a small gift of appreciation as well. Homemade bake goods are always a great way to say thank you.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • jnpiwowarczykjnpiwowarczyk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    350 is an amazing price and a tip would be nice since hes giving you such a great deal, a lot of people are paying close to a grand for 6hrs of DJing.
  • PattySue17PattySue17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    tiping is a personal thing. if you think that the dj did a good job and want to throw them a few extra bucks do it.
  • carolburnettcarolburnett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there is no rules about tipping
    You can give a bottle of champagne or buy a small gift for any vendor if you think they deserve it - it does not have to be cash all the time and owner vendors get tips - why not - just because they own the biz means nothing;
    You are paying vendors to do a good job therefore you do not give them anything BUT if you think they have gone BEYOND what you expected or they gave you something for free or did something which took them more time and effort than normal or they exceeded your expectations then give them cash or a gift;
  • PattySue17PattySue17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kev----i mean carol is right. if you want to tip someone don't stop because they are the owner. they did the work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards