Christian Weddings

Lutheran wedding ceremony

Hello! I'm new to this board and I have a question about getting married in the Lutheran church. My FH is baptized and confirmed Lutheran and I am baptized and confirmed Catholic. What are the requirements for getting married in the Lutheran church? I know I will need to get permission from my most recent parish. Also, what is a typical Lutheran ceremony like? I have never been to one.

I've left a message with the church that we have been to a few times and that we like but I was hoping to get some personal experiences as well :-)

Thanks!
Photobucket

Re: Lutheran wedding ceremony

• DianaL616DianaL616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lutheran-wedding-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:5f29ae95-b7a5-4f17-bb39-59126cbe669bPost:8e2086de-d02f-49a0-b26d-07358c13946d">Re: Lutheran wedding ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends... what kind of Lutheran? 
    Posted by diehld@uindy.edu[/QUOTE]

Missouri Synod
    Photobucket
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am Lutheran but ELCIC (Canadian equivalent of ELCA I believe?) so it's likely different.  Our ceremony included:

GATHERING
    Prelude       
    Processional
    Words of Welcome & Introduction
    Statement of Purpose
    Prayer of Approach
    Legal Admonition
    Declaration of Intent

WORD
    Prayer of Preparation
    Hymn
    Reading 1
    Reading 2
    Meditation (Sermon by the pastor)

ACT OF COVENANTING
    Invocation of the Spirit
    Exchange of Vows
    E
    xchange of Rings
    Declaration of Marriage
    Blessing of the Couple
    Marriage Prayer
    The Lord’s Prayer

SENDING FORTH
    The Benediction
    The Signing of the Register
    Presentation of the Couple
    Recessional

If you want more info or have questions let me know.

ETA: The "requirements" at our church were that we were both baptized (anywhere), and we had one pre-marital counselling/meeting, but it varies by parish.

• edited December 2011
    I think for you would be very simular to a Catholic wedding... 
  • katiebakakatiebaka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Lutheran - Missouri Synod, but so is FSIL and her husband, and our churches are quite different. I think your best bet is to speak with them in your parish.

As far as I know, Lutherans recognize any Christian baptism (I know ours does, and we're a pretty "strict" parish as far as Missouri Synod goes -- we practice closed communion.) They may require you to become official members of the church, or have some meetings with the Pastor.

From what I know, our ceremony will be similar to what naomi posted above.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I are Baptist, but we got married in the MS Lutheran church connected to the school I went to through 8th grade.

We didn't have to do anything except meet with the pastor to discuss everything and pay the "non-member' prices for things.

Our service included:

Statements of Intention
    Scripture readings (chosen by us)
    Exchange of vows
    Exchange of rings
    Prayer

So it was pretty normal :) The pastor gave us his "stock" wedding service and let us put in our own readings, vows, songs, order, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards