South Carolina-Charleston

IS IT ME OR ARE THESE CHARGES RIDICULOUS

So I finally received an email from the bakery that is suppose to make our cake at my 10 year/anniversary renewal and i think these charges are ridiculous. The cake is is three tier that iincludes a 6" 9" 12" round, 1 flavor except 6" and same icing.  I wanted one bow flowing from the top of cake down the cake, a few damask designs. Nothing overly fancy but simple and pretty. The cake is to feed no more than 89 people so you can kinda get an idea of size. Its small or average and i thought this shouldnt be no more than 400 dollars but boy was i wrong.  The cake price is 682.45 total.  I think its ridiculous!!!!!

the charges

403.25 for cake base price

90.00 for filling /which we didnt ask for
35.00 for cake stand
65.00 for delivery by the way this is from savannah highway to dorchester road to the AFB. THEN THE TAX 59.20 BY THE WAY I KNOW WE GOTTA PAY TAX

MY QUESTION TO YOU KNOTTIES IS THIS THE NORM HERE IN CHARLESTON OR IS THIS ON THE EXPENSIVE SIDE? BY THE WAY THE CAKE WAS NOT ALL THAT GOOD AT TASTING AND BEFORE I GOT THE CHARGES I WAS ALREADY CONSIDERING GOING SOME PLACE ELSE. ANY SUGGESTIONS

Re: IS IT ME OR ARE THESE CHARGES RIDICULOUS

• edited December 2011
    Get your cake at Publix.They are delicious and reasonable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Who did you get those prices from? I'm paying about $700 for my three-tier wedding cake to feed almost double the number of guests you're having. 

My baker is Linda Blackwell. Her cakes are delicious. They start at $3.75/slice and go up to a max of $4.25 a slice depending on what flavor you want. She lets you do the cake stand as optional (although it's only an extra $25 for me).

Get in touch with her. You can see everything at www.ibakecakes.com. She's located in Goose Creek, which may help you cut down on delivery fees too.

HTH!
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • reculpreculp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Publix!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the suggestion for Publix.

Also, we went with Michelle at Peacock Feather Cakes.  Our cake for 120 was a little over $300 total.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds just like our first quote from a bakery in West Ashley.  All of the well known, mainstream bakers charge around that.  We ended up using Lisa from Let There Be Cake.  She does it out of her house in Hanahan.  You can check her out at lettherebecake.net  Her prices are right around Publix prices.  Her cakes taste great and look great!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I am also using Linda Blackwell. Her amaretto poppyseed cake is soooo good.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • peachykeen808peachykeen808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check  out Linda Blackwell (Artistic Cakes by Linda). She's reasonably priced and her cakes are delicious!
  • edited December 2011
    Publix is the way to go....seriously.  THIS coming from a mother who owned a bakery :-)Sealed
  • davenia7davenia7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For a "bakery", not bad.  I got one price of $850 for 125 guests from Jim Smeal, the cake God...
    Will I go with him?  I'm debating. 
  • edited December 2011

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP, I DECIDED TO GO WITH LINDA BLACKWELL. SHE BAKES CAKES OUT OF HER HOME AND LET ME TELL YA THIS WOMEN CAKES ARE GOOD AND SHE CAN DESIGN YOUR CAKE ANYWAY YOU WANT IT. HER PRICES ARE REASONABLE AND SHE WILL WORK WITH YOU. I GOT THE CAKE I WANTED AND SOME EXTRA IDEAS ON MY CAKE SUCH EDIBLE PEARLS. DONT BE THROWN BY THE FACT THAT SHE BAKES CAKES OUT HER HOME, CHECK HER OUT YOU WILL BE PLEASED.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards