Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Is it OK to nix the Mother/Son dance?

I am the MOB and was wondering if someone could help me out? My FSIL is not on very good terms with his mother right now and hasn't been for quite some time. His parents have been divorced since he was very young and he was raised by his father. He really doesn't want to do a Mother/Son dance at the reception. I can completely understand his feelings but am also concerned about future ramifications of his decision. Should I gently encourage him to dance with his mother or just let things be? I could care less either way but don't want him to regret the decision later in life if they do reconcile.

Re: Is it OK to nix the Mother/Son dance?

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say if he doesn't want to do it then I wouldn't say anything.
  • ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, it's his decision if he wants to or not. Maybe he'll end up changing his mind closer to the wedding. We went to a wedding last year where there was no Mother/Son dance and no one really even noticed

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, it's his decision. He doesn't want to, don't make him.
  • edited December 2011
    It's really not your place to say or do anything about. It's sweet that you care, but really it's between him and his mother.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help. I just read in a bridal magazine about a song from the Scissor Sisters called "Take Your Mama" that they might use. Instead of it being just him and his mother they were thinking about all the guests dancing with their mothers as well. He was having a difficult time picking a song for them to dance to since most don't pertain to their relationship.
  • mandy270mandy270 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_ok-nix-motherson-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:bd860ab3-6e4b-4109-99e3-92e99b11bd31Post:9fde0289-2fd2-4d6f-9b16-c23381c140a4">Re: Is it OK to nix the Mother/Son dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the help. I just read in a bridal magazine about a song from the Scissor Sisters called "Take Your Mama" that they might use. <font color="#800000">Instead of it being just him and his mother they were thinking about all the guests dancing with their mothers as well.</font> He was having a difficult time picking a song for them to dance to since most don't pertain to their relationship.
    Posted by MDmom2014[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. Just because he doesn't want a mother/son dance doesn't mean that they won't dance together at all. In their situation it might be better than focusing all attention on them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards