Wedding Etiquette Forum

Depressing movies

So I'm watching Schindler's List.  I had never actually seen it before, and I'm only 52 minutes into the movie, and I'm already crying.  Help.  I just had to remove Life is Beautiful from my Netflix queue because that one is even worse.

Does anyone else torture themselves like this? What are some movies that are terribly sad/depressing, but you still love them? Or at least watch them?
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: Depressing movies

• Life as a house.

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I am currently watching Steel Magnolias. It is my go-to chick flick.
  • I do. I'm a sucker for war movies and dramas and things like that, I love them but they're so depressing.

Stuff like The Killing Fields, Tears of the Sun, The Constant Gardener etc.
  • When a Man loves a Woman.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Saving Private Ryan is one of my favorites, but always makes me sad.
  • Ha the first time I saw Tears of the Sun I was at H's fraternity house, and I was the only girl, and it took every ounce of strength I possessed not to cry in front of everyone.
    Married
    Planning
  • 'My Life' with Nicole Kidman and Micheal Keaton.

If I need to cry but can't, that's my go to movie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_depressing-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d5cf85e3-33ba-4588-b839-071f685d7276Post:6109f8de-929b-4fa3-8d76-d5a72f7bb020">Re: Depressing movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha the first time I saw Tears of the Sun I was at H's fraternity house, and I was the only girl, and it took every ounce of strength I possessed not to cry in front of everyone.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

I bawled in the theatre, it was awful. There's a part in that movie where some of the militia put a tyre over someone and set her on fire, it's called necklacing and I've seen it happen in South Africa and I just lost it and had to leave. I finished watching it when it came out on DVD but I walked out of the theatre.
  • Seriously, I still just don't understand WHY and HOW something like this could happen.  Even though it's happened loads of times. How can you hate someone that you don't even know SO much? I really can't wrap my mind around it. I can't even imagine living through something like that- how cany government justify those actions?
    Married
    Planning
  • It's ignorance, at it's base, I think. Ignorance spurns hate and, for the most part, in Africa, "government" really is more of a hinderance than a help to anyone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_depressing-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d5cf85e3-33ba-4588-b839-071f685d7276Post:ae580b31-631d-4db9-8e9d-4a448b361954">Depressing movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm watching Schindler's List.  I had never actually seen it before, and I'm only 52 minutes into the movie, and I'm already crying.  Help.  I just had to remove Life is Beautiful from my Netflix queue because that one is even worse. Does anyone else torture themselves like this? What are some movies that are terribly sad/depressing, but you still love them? Or at least watch them?
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

I won't watch Schindler's List for this reason. I feel like it's a really important film, but I just can't. I used to get pulled in by critically acclaimed movies like Monster's Ball, In the Bedroom, Life is Beautiful, etc., but they are just sad and unsatisfying in the end. I'm simple and I like happy Hollywood endings. Like I want to see Precious right now, but I won't.

I don't know if these are on the same scale as Schindler's List, but I still love Amadeus and Ordinary People even though they are sad and depressing.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • I HATE pretty blonde girls.

The Margarita Evolution
  • OOOOO

Mr. Holland's Opus.

The Margarita Evolution
  • You ARE a pretty blonde girl doofus ;)
  • I'll second Life as a House

Also, the end of Stepmom gets me everytime.
  • Awwww, Crap. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • I love Life as a House.
  • I might have to turn this movie off.  I mean I'm pretty sure I know the ending. Millions of people die for no reason.

Who the fuuck wakes up in the morning and shoots people off of his balcony for fun? That is not a human being.  I refuse to believe that people like this exist.  Even though I know they do.
    Married
    Planning
  • The guy shooting people off his balcony- There was an episode of Opera w/  2 elderly women.  One was the daughter of a nazi (I am fairly certain it was this guy) and the other woman was  Jewish servant in his house. It was awful.
  • Don't laugh, but Marley and Me had me sobbing for hours. Also Neverland (with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet). The first time I just cried at the end, the second time I started crying about 2/3 way through. Now I cry the second it comes on.
    Also the "daddy don't go" scene from Armageddon destroys me, no matter what.
  • Finding Neverland is one of my favourite ever movies.
  • edited January 2010
    happiness
    requiem for a dream
    trainspotting
    kids
  • I was thoroughly traumatized by the first 10 minutes of "Up".  I went from laughing to smiling to a blubbering fool in about 2 seconds.

Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • edited January 2010
    The Pianist. Its amazing, but like most Holocaust movies, when you turn it off you say, "Crap. I think I just need to go sit by myself and cry for a while."

Also, What Dreams May Come. Especially the first 20 minutes or so.

I really like depressing/not happy movies, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Life as a House, Steel Magnolias, Beaches, Big Fish, The Notebook, Benjamin Button, Up (except I will never watch that again), Stepmom. I'm sure there are more.

As a kid, I'd listen to the Rescuers soundtrack and just bawl. I was weird. Still am.
    planning

• Hotel Rwanda.  I dragged my parents to see it in the theater when it first came out.  Bad idea- movies like that should be saved for the privacy of one's home.  I almost never cry at movies, but the scene where all the foreign nationals are being evacuated, I bawled.  Probably because I tend to be an angry crier, so I was pissed off at the unfairness AND sad.  Also Life is Beautiful, but only with subtitles oddly enough; the annoyance at dubbing overrides my sadness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards