Getting in Shape
Options

Don't weigh "too much" - just want to firm up

Hello ladies! This is my very first post here, so not sure if I could have found a common thread already.

We just got engaged earlier this month, and I guess I am looking for some support more than anything. Our wedding isn't going to be until September 2014, but I want to get going on this (probably after the new year - I'm such a sucker for Christmas). I'm quite a procrastinater, and stuff like getting in shape always ends up on the back burner.

Here's my situation: I don't necessarily weigh too much. I think I am around 140 (I've been putting off weighing myself for a good few months) and I'm in a size 10 jeans. Weight loss isn't really the issue - it's more an issue off all these extra rolls I've packed on in the last little while! I have a four year old, and not to make it sound like an excuse, but being that he was born via c-section, I do have a little extra belly flab that I'm not fond of.

So probably my biggest issues are said belly flab, my love handles, and then I guess just tightening up some other parts that are a little too jiggly for my liking.

Is anyone in a similar situation? Or has anyone been there and has any advice on how to focus and not give up/get too lazy?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Don't weigh "too much" - just want to firm up

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Weight is not necessarily an indicator of health - the body composition (fat to lean mass ratio) is what matters. Many women are "skinny fat" - they don't neceesarily weigh a lot, often they are petite, but they've got around 30% body fat (30% and up is considered obese.) You're right, you don't necessarily have to lose numbers on the scale, and it sounds like what you're aiming to do is lose fat and gain muscle. You can't spot reduce or "tone", but a combination of healthier diet and exercise will help you recomposition the body. The body loses fat gradually from wherever it has gained it most recently (likely the upper body and middle for us gals), down to the "permafat" (usually butt and thighs) that may never disappear (and shouldn't disappear!)

My suggestion is to just start - find healthy foods you like and exercises you enjoy doing. Keep your goals realistic and don't focus on the scale - focus on how you feel.

Also, reducing stress and getting good sleep are key to losing/keeping off fat and to overall health!

Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_dont-weigh-too-much-just-want-to-firm-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:de217974-bfff-480b-af3f-9a72fae0ef29Post:7b91e095-82ab-4316-9439-a1312b0cdac5">Re: Don't weigh "too much" - just want to firm up</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weight is not necessarily an indicator of health - the body composition (fat to lean mass ratio) is what matters. Many women are "skinny fat" - they don't neceesarily weigh a lot, often they are petite, but they've got around 30% body fat (30% and up is considered obese.) You're right, you don't necessarily have to lose numbers on the scale, and it sounds like what you're aiming to do is lose fat and gain muscle. You can't spot reduce or "tone", but a combination of healthier diet and exercise will help you recomposition the body. The body loses fat gradually from wherever it has gained it most recently (likely the upper body and middle for us gals), down to the "permafat" (usually butt and thighs) that may never disappear (and shouldn't disappear!) My suggestion is to just start - find healthy foods you like and exercises you enjoy doing. Keep your goals realistic and don't focus on the scale - focus on how you feel. Also, reducing stress and getting good sleep are key to losing/keeping off fat and to overall health! Good luck!
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]
    I think my biggest struggle is that I LOVE food. Don't get me wrong...healthy food is easily as good as the unhealthy stuff, but it's just SO EASY to get my hands on junk I shouldn't eat! That sounds unhealthy...loving food...but really I just love things that taste good! I have to learn to focus on the healthy choices above all else. Luckily I have nearly two years until our wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We all love stuff that tastes good! Plus a lot of us ladies have unhealthy relatioships with food. So stop keeping junk in the house and do your best to avoid it at work etc. It takes willpower, planning, and portion control but there's no other way.
  • Options
    I would agree with the above about not keeping junk around.  One thing that helped me with my love of ridiculously bad for me foods is weirdly documentaries.  There are tons of documentaries, Forks over Knives, Food Inc, and etc., that for me brought home just what I was doing to myself by eating the foods I loved.  And I think as to exercise I have yet to find a workout more fun and at the same time more effective than playing with a 4yo.  I would start small you have sometime just try and incorporate more "clean" food, by which I mean unprocessed whole type of foods.  You will be surprised how much difference it will make.  The first week after I did this I lost 6 pounds, my energy level just shot through the roof, and I just felt more solid, in a good way, for lack of better words.
  • Options
    Oh! I do have that Fitness pal app on my phone...but I haven't used it in awhile. The holiday season got the best of me.

I do try to work out regularly, but again, Christmas has taken over. In the new year I'm definitely going to start up again, because I'll be starting a new job and will hopefully have more time to do things for myself.

My biggest food issue is that I work in a mall and the food court is the easiest form of dinner or lunch. My fiance and I have tried buying food and bringing lunches to work (both of us - fast food is his easy way out too) but it never lasts very long before we completely give up.

Thanks for all your advice ladies! It helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    This is NOT going well. I was doing great, lost a few lbs...was feeling good about myself, and then I packed it back on as quickly as I lost it. I have no idea why. I'm watching what I eat (and how much I eat) and I'm working out fairly regularly - nothing crazy, because it does take a little while to get back into a workout routine. I'm getting really frustrated. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards