Hawaii

Fun Friday Question of the Day!

Hi Girls,
I thought it would be fun to have a question today before the weekend! I'm wondering... What is the craziest thing you did throughout your wedding planning process or on the actual wedding day? You know, like did the inner bridezilla come out at all while planning your wedding? Did you do something that was crazy and so out of character for you?

Re: Fun Friday Question of the Day!

• Ok, mine was just this past week, which made me think of this question. I have been very calm since I"m having only a very small ceremony and only a few guests so it hasnt been bad at all and I've been calm. Last week I did however decided to buy a back up dress for the wedding.... just in case something happens to the original :) I am shipping my dress and having it pressed and I'm not so nervous about the shipping part, more the steaming part! So, I was at JCPenny last week and saw a cute ivory flowy dress for 20.00 and bought it! I'll have it with me just in case anything happens. How I know this is a little crazy is that everytime I tell someone in my family that I did this they all respond the same way... ohhhhhh Alli they say :) hahahah. Oh well, I feel better knowing i have a back up! lol
  • Good question for a Friday! 
    @Allison, I just got another dress also, which is funny because it is really simple and I actually like it better. 
    Ok, I had a bridezilla moment Weds. but part of it was not my fault. Really! We are flying our photographer to the wedding, covered his and his wifes air, condo, car, and luau, so everything is in their name. Although we do have a contract.  Well just as I was going into a meeting Weds. morning I get a text from my daughter saying did I know our photographer moved to AZ? WTH!!! I couldn't answer for more details because I was literally walking into a meeting. I had to hold it together for an hour and half and try not to think of it. As soon as the meeting was over I started texting her and a close friend who knows him. I needed to know what was going on and his contact info was at home. Well I guess I was really short with them, which I am a really calm person, so out of norm. Both women kept telling me to relax there had to be an alternative but that it was weird he hadn't called or emailed us to tell us that he was moving. Finally at 2 in the afternoon I just had to leave work and go home to find out what was going on. I beat FI home and logged onto my laptop. There was an email from the Photographer saying that yes they were on the move, in Sierra Nevadas, to AZ but they had already bought their return tickets to Seattle and would be on the wedding flight. His new empolyer already knew he would be gone that week and granted him the time off. He spent a paragraph saying how sorry he was that he did not tell us about the move and that he knew it was irresponsible but he was thrilled to be a part of our wedding and could not wait to work with us. I was reading this email just as FI walked in from work. He knew how upset I had been because I had text him earlier. I just lost it. Sobbed for about an hour. Told FI we should just leave as soon as my work project is over and elope, can't do the stress anymore. He just kept telling me that our dream is around the corner and we will make it. Now I feel so bad for him because I am never like this. Ugh just can't wait until we are on the plane. "48" more days!
  • That is a good one :) But I think totally normal. I'd be so nervous too. Sound slike everything will be fine though. And just think, even if the photgrpaher doesnt show in Hawaii, theres so many there that i'm sure you could hire at the last minute!

So funny about the dress! So which will you wear? How come you dont like the original as much anymore?
  • I think just the whole Maui elopement was really out of character for me because, we did not cave into all the pressure for a huge wedding at home that only our families wanted.  We were true to ourselves!  Exploring Maui on Friday and Saturday (wedding day) and being so relaxed was awesome.  We went for a walk down the beach a few hours before our wedding and were really able to just take it all in and enjoy it.  We kept saying how nice it was to not be stressed and kept thinking about what we would have been doing if we had been home having a wedding and all the stress.  I also ate a HUGE plate of amazing french toast and whipped cream the morning of the wedding.  I figured it was too late to worry if the dress would fit =)

Allison-I hope the backup dress gives you peace of mind =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_fun-friday-question-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:a772044e-4896-4549-9885-51d73c242c92Post:5fa4fa0a-821c-47a5-8257-4b475d20af2f">Re: Fun Friday Question of the Day!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think just the whole Maui elopement was really out of character for me because, we did not cave into all the pressure for a huge wedding at home that only our families wanted.  We were true to ourselves!  Exploring Maui on Friday and Saturday (wedding day) and being so relaxed was awesome.  We went for a walk down the beach a few hours before our wedding and were really able to just take it all in and enjoy it.  We kept saying how nice it was to not be stressed and kept thinking about what we would have been doing if we had been home having a wedding and all the stress.  I also ate a HUGE plate of amazing french toast and whipped cream the morning of the wedding.  I figured it was too late to worry if the dress would fit =) Allison-I hope the backup dress gives you peace of mind =)
    Posted by Just H[/QUOTE]

Thanks HIllary, it does! I feel much better knowing if something happens, I dont have to waste a day in Maui looking for a back up! I'm happy for you that you two did what you wanted to do, it's tough to make that decision but I agree, it's great having little stress! I love what you had for breakfast on your wedding day! I hope to do the same :)
  • Good call on the 2nd dress, Alison!  Never hurts to have a back up.  I think I've decided to take mine with me on a carry on.  Speaking of which, I had my final fitting yesterday and I have it home with me now!  ;)  When do you go back for your 2nd fitting?

I'm boring and pretty laid back so I can't recall any bridezilla moments to date.  Although I'm sure if you asked FI, he may tell you differently.  ;)

Ohh, we did come close to not having a wedding band for me since we waited so long to start looking and I'm a ring size 3 1/4!  Dang the tiny fingers so I'm having one made but it literally won't be here until 3 days before we leave for Maui.  Fingers corssed!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_fun-friday-question-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:a772044e-4896-4549-9885-51d73c242c92Post:9163a9b4-a7fe-41c1-aecd-9bf870753969">Re: Fun Friday Question of the Day!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good call on the 2nd dress, Alison!  Never hurts to have a back up.  I think I've decided to take mine with me on a carry on.  Speaking of which, I had my final fitting yesterday and I have it home with me now!  ;)  When do you go back for your 2nd fitting? I'm boring and pretty laid back so I can't recall any bridezilla moments to date.  Although I'm sure if you asked FI, he may tell you differently.  ;) Ohh, we did come close to not having a wedding band for me since we waited so long to start looking and I'm a ring size 3 1/4!  Dang the tiny fingers so I'm having one made but it literally won't be here until 3 days before we leave for Maui.  Fingers corssed!
    Posted by TacoriLover[/QUOTE]

OMG what tiny fingers!!!! Thats crazy! I will keep my fingers crossed that it comesin on time! Yikes, if it doesnt you can always just use a temporary one until you get it :) Worse things could happen right? I'll pick up my dress in 2 weeks! Cant wait! My best friend is flying in from pittsburgh fo rmy shower so it will be ready for then so she can see it, i'm excited since she cant make it to wedding. It must be great to have your dress home with you !!!
  • @Tacori, crazy small fingers. I have never heard that they go that small. lol 

@Allison, I am only wearing the wedding dress because FI and my oldest daughter wanted me to, but I never tell them that. Only vent that here. The other one is just more simple and me. I am going to wear it one night out but he would be dissapointed if I didn't show up in a full gown. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_fun-friday-question-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:a772044e-4896-4549-9885-51d73c242c92Post:306687d1-545f-4fb0-9ea5-e13a9197b9e8">Re: Fun Friday Question of the Day!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Tacori, crazy small fingers. I have never heard that they go that small. lol  @Allison, I am only wearing the wedding dress because FI and my oldest daughter wanted me to, but I never tell them that. Only vent that here. The other one is just more simple and me. I am going to wear it one night out but he would be dissapointed if I didn't show up in a full gown. 
    Posted by FSForever[/QUOTE]

I see :) I know the feeling, I want my FI to like what I'm wearing too! I know everyone says he'll love whatever I wear because he's still marrying me, but I actually want him to really like it hahah.
  • Love this thread!   I'm cracking up at your stories.  It's amazing how the wedding stress builds up. 

My story is about flowers (I know, stupid right?).  Our wedding color was yellow.  I went out of my way to order yellow orchids for everything (they were more expensive).  When I arrived at the venue, I saw green orchids eveywhere!  Lime green (the color they come in generically) not yellow.  I am still irritated with the florist for not at least calling to give me a heads up, or asking if I wanted to swap for something else.  The worst was when I called her to inquire, she was rude and defensive, so I went straight up bridezilla on her.  She was awesome until that point, and she did execute everythng else flawlessly, but 1) it was the wrong damn color, 2) you didn't even give me the courtesy of a warning or choice, and 3) you were rude to me 2 hours before my wedding when I called to see what happened.  Not cool!
  • @Tanq you are totally in the right for going bridezilla on her!!! I would have flipped a table or two lol I got pissed for you reading it! lol

I too considered the second dress option, but when FI saw the actual price of my dress and had a ballpark idea of the alterations he actually forbade me to get another dress. Usually I would have laughed in his face for "forbiding" me to do anything, but I took pity on him this time b/c my dress was a tad over budget (and by tad I mean a considerable amount lol). He wasn't upset at the cost, but just the idea of another dress no matter how much it cost was just more than he could handle lol poor guy. I shall be carrying my dress on the plane with me.

My bridezilla moment arrived in grand style when I announced we were getting married in HI and it was just gonna be FI and I. My mom's family was cool with it once I explained our reasoning, I got everyone's blessing and all. My dad's family, on the other hand, gave me all kinds of crap for not having a church wedding everyone could come to, why wasn't I hiring cousin so and so to do the planning, I better invite so and so b/c their feelings would be hurt if I didn't. This, ladies, is when I lost it. I went THE HELL OFF!! First off, I only see these ppl at furnerals (sad but true), secondly, most of them are rude as hell and they wouldn't get invited if I was a millionaire hosting my wedding at the Thomas Foggerty Winery (acres of GORGEOUS land near the SF Bay Area). There is a handful of ppl on my dad's side I would invite, like less than 5 with my dad and his wife taking up 2 of those slots. The NERVE of some ppl. I guess my outburst wasn't the end of it b/c I'm STILL getting the "you better invite me to your reception b/c I'd be really hurt if you didn't" and at this point I truly, truly, don't give a damn....not a single tiny little bit of a damn....this is my shindig my way as far as they are concerned and at my advanced age of 28yo, I have stopped caring about ppl who are non factors in my life. If I didn't think of you when I first starting making a guestlist, there's a reason for that...you might not be that important to me. It's a cold a$$ way of thinking I guess, but if you knew the drama I went through with this group of "family" you'd understand. Still irritates me to this day. But I continue to let my irriation float away with the wind, we'll have a wonderfully gorgeous SMALL wedding and a fabulously fun KINDA SMALL reception with friends and family we care about. The End, Fin, and all that jazz. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards