Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How can I include my 4 month old baby in our wedding?

My fiance and I have a 7 week old son who will be 4 months old at the time of the wedding. We are wanting to find some way to include him in the ceremony since my 2 children from a previous marriage will be in the wedding. My 5 year old daughter will be flower girl, and my 10 year old son would be a ring bearer. (He's a little old, I know--but he really wanted the "job" lol)
The only idea I could come up with was to get him a tuxedo onesie, lay him in a litte red wagon (padded comfortably with some plush black fabric--our wedding colors are white black and red) and have my son pull it along with him as he walks down the aisle.
Any other suggestions?

Re: How can I include my 4 month old baby in our wedding?

• You don't.  Make sure you take lots of pics of him in his cute tux.  He's already included, he your son.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_can-include-4-month-old-baby-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:b7514aeb-a8cb-455c-92c1-54f13e022a29Post:629701f9-2f40-43f2-8551-b0ff7c9bfc21">Re: How can I include my 4 month old baby in our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]see this blog for great tips! <a href="http://weddingsareagirlsbestfriend.tumblr.com/post/698246970/married-with-children" rel="nofollow">http://weddingsareagirlsbestfriend.tumblr.com/post/698246970/married-with-children</a>
    Posted by weddingsareagirlsbestfriend[/QUOTE]
    <font color="#999999"><font color="#000000">
    That is terrible advice and a terrible blog. I like your idea of the wagon, but, like PP said, he's already a part of your wedding because he's your son.</font>
    </font>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_can-include-4-month-old-baby-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:b7514aeb-a8cb-455c-92c1-54f13e022a29Post:629701f9-2f40-43f2-8551-b0ff7c9bfc21">Re: How can I include my 4 month old baby in our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]see this blog for great tips! <a href="http://weddingsareagirlsbestfriend.tumblr.com/post/698246970/married-with-children" rel="nofollow">http://weddingsareagirlsbestfriend.tumblr.com/post/698246970/married-with-children</a>
    Posted by weddingsareagirlsbestfriend[/QUOTE]

what an idiot!!!!

i love the idea of the wagon, either way u should put hm in a tux onesie the pictures will be adorable :)
  •  I apparently missed the original comment from whoever posted it with the blog... but after reading it, all I could do was laugh. No great aunt of mine is going to be screaming, and I am wearing white. I know no one will mistake me for a virgin, considering my 2 older kids. lol. Furthermore, I'd like to add this: if you are big enough to post a comment criticizing me or anyone else, don't be a chicken sh!t and delete it before I can see it.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I guess you're right. I think I just look too much at the long term things, because I was just worried about the "If I was already born, then where was I?" questions from him when he's old enough to realize it. We'll just be sure to take lots of pics with him in them. :)
  • I'm actually guessing that the blogger may have been banned for spam; all posts by a banned poster are automatically deleted.

Definitely take lots of pictures, and make sure you have someone (preferably not immediate family) who can take him away if he starts fussing.  My five-month-old niece started shrieking her head off during the ceremony, and my stepdad had to take her out of the room and missed about half of it, I felt really bad afterward when I found out.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Oh thanks for that... that's something I didn't take into consideration!
  • I agree, he doesn't need any special role.  I'd be concerned about having your baby pulled in a wagon down the aisle.  What if he doesn't like it and starts crying?  It could end up just making a scene.
  • It might be best to hire a sitter for the wedding day, honestly.  They can take care of him while you're getting ready and keep an eye on him at the ceremony and reception.  That way you can still spend some time with him, but if he gets fussy or needs his diaper changed or something, there's someone designated to handle that and you and your family can still enjoy the party.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • you could have your mother or someone in the very front hold him during the service and afterward have  the relative hands ur husband the baby then you, your husband and children are presented as a family and you lead the wedding party out.
  • I personally would want my child in my wedding. Especcialy because he is the only child of you and your husband. I thnk that decorating a stoller maybe safer than a wagon or sinply having your older son carry him. I have seen plenty of babies carried down the aisle. .Thats just my opinion.
  • I'm with TNMurry on this... 4 months old is before you start doing solids, and I'm remembering my own two kids having very little mid body strength when we started feeding them.  I'm seeing the wagon as a really dangerous idea.  (well, relatively dangerous)
    And about the weddingsareagirlsbestfriend post... If I  wasn't so disgusted I'd be offended.  (spam or not) Best be quiet and be thought stupid, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would still create the ceremony to focus on you, your fiance, and the love and commitments you are making.  But I would also recommend including an element in the wedding ceremony itself to honor the creation of the family as well.  If you have a wedding minister who is customizing your ceremony, he or she should be able to guide you in this, depending on the ages of all the kids.  This way, the kids don't have "roles" in the wedding, but their "roles" in your lives are also honored.

You can do this passively by including yours that your minister incorporate into the script, or actively through a ritual or family vows.

Rev. Sherry Mullins
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards