Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

RD Attire Help - XP

As you all might know, I have recently been on the search for a fabulous RD dress - last week my mom and I found a really cute BCBG dress at Bloomingdale's that I bought, but am still not 100% about it. It can't seem to find a picture online but it is a gold color with sweetheart neckline (in a satin material) and the 'skirt' is tiered with layers of tulle and gold sequins - it's kind of hard to explain but a very pretty dress. It was the exact color I was looking for, but I had something different in mind style-wise.

We didn't see anything in NYC this weekend and so I have been looking online all day today. I came across an adorable dress that I fell in love with that was exactly in line with what I envisioned style-wish - the only problem is the dress is black and I kind of wanted to stay away from black (no real reason why, I just wanted a 'lighter' color dress).

So my questions to you ladies are: 1) How do you feel about wearing black to the RD and, 2) What do you think about the dress pictured below?

The RD is going to be on the formal side (at LeMont) and we are going to have our photographers there to get some shots so I want something nice that will also photograph well - one of the reasons I didn't want black. TIA for your help!

Re: RD Attire Help - XP

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    G, do you think that maybe you have too many expectations for the dress? Do you know what I mean? Mayeb you're looking for so many things (light color, specific style, photographs well, formal, etc) that no dress is going to be "it". I'm not saying you have to settle, but I'm also not too sure what I'm try to say.

FWIW, I like the black dress. I think it's formal enough for the LeMont, but is also fun with the lace. What if you paired it with brighter jewelry and shoes?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think black is ok considering that your rehersal is very formal at the LeMont, but I do agree, I want to stay away from anything dark colored for my RD as well. Do they have a good return policy, that you could order it and return it if you find something better?
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    panter - yes... lol - I definitely have too many expectations for the dress! I'm not sure why this is so hard for me! But I always seem to second guess my decisions... I think I'm going to buy the black dress (I can always return it) and see what I think - it's only $63 and is cute to just have in the wardrobe!

Also, I found a pic of my BCBG dress from Bloomies - here it is:

It looks so much better in person! Not nearly as shiny...

mrswolf - yes, they are able to take returns! I think I'm going to buy it anyway... can't beat the price really!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The dress is beautiful, and very different in terms of a LBD. I love the detail at the neckline. However, I understand you not wanting to wear black. First off, you do want your color to 'pop' if you are taking pictures. Also, if you are like me, then you might have a few other LBDs that you pull out of your closet as 'go-to' dresses. So in a sense, you may not feel as dressed up and special since you have other LBDs for other occasions. You probably would want something more memorable for your rehearsal dinner. The other thing you will run into is that there will probably be quite a few other people wearing black dresses at your RD, and as the bride, you probably want to stand out from everyone else.

Ok, so that is my two cents, but just my two cents. The dress you have posted is still gorgeous, and I am sure you will look stunning in it if you chose to wear it. Per the reasons above, I tend to vote against a black dress, but either way you can't really go wrong....
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sarilynnep - my thoughts exactly... and one of the major reason I was trying to stay away from black. As I mentioned above, I might just get it anyway! :)

I do love the gold one, but as panther mentioned, I think I am looking for 'too much' in my dress...
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    panther - thanks! They are super cute... I really love the yellow one, it's light and a perfect spring color! Funny because I actually tried on the cream one you posted but it didn't look too great on me!
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore black to my RD.  But then, I didn't particularly care as long as I found something that I liked and was warm.  I like the black one better than the gold one, personally, and think it would look nice, especially for something a little more formal.  But I have the feeling that you could pull off anything you choose :o)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ash! I too like the black one better - and wearability is a big concern of mine. I feel like I can wear the black one over and over again after the RD, but the gold one? Not so much...
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also very true, and wearability would be a huge factor for me too.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the black one better...infact i love the black dress! I think its super cute and would be perf for RD at the LeMont

AND think you could pair it with some really fun bright colored shoes and jewelry that would totally pull everything together!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, so I saw the gold one after I posted. I agree with PP... I like the black one better. While I do like colored dresses for a RD, the black one you will definitely wear again.

How about putting a punch of color in your shoes? I love fun colored shoes with black dresses.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think playing up the shoes and jewelry would be perfect - I'm ordering it now!! Either way, I think for the price it's a great dress to just have in the wardrobe!! Thanks for all the help ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bet you will tempted to wear it before the RD :-)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    G, I love the idea of dressing the black dress with some color, what if you got a great yellow or green shoe?

http://www.zappos.com/nina-electra-apple-green

I can't find anything right now that is a yellow without being blinging, but I'm sure you get the idea.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    panther - I love the idea of a green or yellow shoe (green would go with the wedding colors!) I hope it's as nice in person as it looks online!

sarilynnep - I'm sure I'll want to wear it before May! :)
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the black one better...imo, it is more elegant than the gold one.  While the gold one is brighter, I'm not convinced it will photograph better due to the shine (although you say it's less shiny in person, still could be a problem).  If you are worried about it being too dark, I'd accessorize with really bright shoes and earrings.

Like ash said, I get the sense you can wear anything and look lovely, but I actually think black against your hair color/skin tone will really highlight you.

And I think black to the RD is absolutely fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards