Canada-Ontario

Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo

Hi all - we're considering the Evergreen Brick Works for our reception venue in Toronto. Anyone have any experience with it?

We're also considering Archeo - which seems a little simpler in terms of all additions (furniture, food, etc. all comes in with the price) so it's easier for a new and slightly overwhelmed engaged woman to deal with.

That said, Evergreen Brick Works looks phenomenal and has the right feel to match our personalities. Any thoughts? Ideas around pricing for Brick Works (total - with food included!) We're looking at max 120 people.

Re: Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    The Brick Works is just the venue, you'll have to contact a caterer for pricing for 120 people.

Usually, renting the venue is about 3K-4K. The killer will be your caterer.  For example, I was looking at the Estates of Sunnybrook.  It was about 3,500 to rent the venue.  Not so bad.  But when I inquired for the caterer for 150 people, tapas/cocktails style, it was about 20K including alcohol.  And then you have to take on a historic landmark fee which is about 15% of the total of your wedding.  So keep that in mind.

Not sure what your budget is and what kind of wedding you'd like to have, so it's best for you to call around.

We looked at Archeo too.  Pricing was decent for food but they killed you on the alcohol since you have to spend 10K minimum.  Our problem was that the venue could only hold 150 and we might have more.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_evergreen-brick-works-vs-archeo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:ad4fadd6-9031-4d33-871f-e6af03e0b382Post:ff261d32-090e-4bd5-883f-2e82c8eb46fe">Re: Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Brick Works is just the venue, you'll have to contact a caterer for pricing for 120 people. Usually, renting the venue is about 3K-4K. The killer will be your caterer.  For example, I was looking at the Estates of Sunnybrook.  It was about 3,500 to rent the venue.  Not so bad.  But when I inquired for the caterer for 150 people, tapas/cocktails style, it was about 20K including alcohol.  And then you have to take on a historic landmark fee which is about 15% of the total of your wedding.  So keep that in mind. Not sure what your budget is and what kind of wedding you'd like to have, so it's best for you to call around. We looked at Archeo too.  Pricing was decent for food but they killed you on the alcohol since you have to spend 10K minimum.  Our problem was that the venue could only hold 150 and we might have more.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Historic landmark fee? I don't remember seeing that. I found the Estates seriously overestimated our final bill. We did the FULL buffet (it was HUGE) with open bar (no hard liquor except for a prepared punch) and three passed appetizers for 100 people, and they ended up refunding us money. It definitely wasn't 20K. We actually stayed in the Courtyard Ballroom, instead of the ballroom upstairs because we knew that we would have trouble hitting the 15K minimum. We brought in our own wines, which were of higher quality than the stuff they serve, and paid the corkage fee, which also brought down costs. Our costs per bottle < their cost per bottle. We even brought in the same champagne from their list, but saved ~$20/bottle after corkage fee and taxes.</div><div>
    </div><div>Do you have to bring in your own furniture or linens at the BrickWorks? That really increases costs. I didn't rent anything for my wedding, except a tablecloth for the cake table. The venue provided the tablecloths and the chairs were nice enough not to need chair covers. That was a huge savings there. It was also a lot less stressful.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Yeah, I'm finding that even though the upfront fee seems reasonable (3500), the catering quotes we've been getting (which include rentals, and the 15% landmark fee) are upwards of 25K - our budget for the entire wedding is 25K! That's already pushing 30 for just the reception space - not including apparel, photography, etc.

Archeo comes in at a much more reasonable 14500, so we may be going in that direction.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_evergreen-brick-works-vs-archeo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:ad4fadd6-9031-4d33-871f-e6af03e0b382Post:0611c86b-25d2-48c8-8d5e-ef9df7675ce5">Re: Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo : Historic landmark fee? I don't remember seeing that. I found the Estates seriously overestimated our final bill. Posted by petite+engineer[/QUOTE]

Petite - Sunnybrook doesn't require a historical landmark fee, but when we checked out places like the Brick Works, as well as places like Casa Loma, St. Lawrence Hall, etc.  These places will charge the caterers the landmark fee and in turn, the caterers will charge the hosts.
  • @intotheheart
    My caterer is very reasonably priced (he's in Markham) and includes linen in his rate if you want it, but I think you would have to rent chairs and tables.

I think he offers multiple rentals, but my venue in Markham included the chairs, tables and dishes/cutlery.

One concern with the BrickWorks is that now that Evergreen is running the Farmers Market daily, how would you handle the rental?  I'm sure you've looked into it, but what part of the Brickworks are you actually able to rent, and how will parking be handled?  Can people attending the farmers market wander over to your reception (and do you care?)?

That said, if you really like the venue, try to get a little more information in terms of allowed caterers, and contact them before making final decisions. 

In terms of our catering, we're providing the liquor ourselves, and our caterer is supplying the rest.  Our catering includes the following for $50/person:
    - chair covers (the white ones with a colourful ribbon)
    - basic linen (neutral tablecloths, colourful napkins)
    - 6 appetizers per person (for cocktail hour)
    - four course dinner (salad, pasta, entree [salmon or roast beef], dessert - crepes!! I'm so excited for dessert!)
    - bartenders
    - serving staff
    - setup of the room (putting the linen on the tables, etc)

We are expecting to have an 80 guest wedding, and were advised that if there are more of our guests that do show up (i.e. if 90 people come), anything over 80 would be 1/2 price for the meal (but chair covers would be full price)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_evergreen-brick-works-vs-archeo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:ad4fadd6-9031-4d33-871f-e6af03e0b382Post:abdee8e8-65e3-463c-987a-cdfd4b14a455">Re: Evergreen Brick Works vs Archeo</a>:
    [QUOTE]@intotheheart My caterer is very reasonably priced (he's in Markham) and includes linen in his rate if you want it, but I think you would have to rent chairs and tables...One concern with the BrickWorks is that now that Evergreen is running the Farmers Market daily, how would you handle the rental?
    Posted by amme5832[/QUOTE]

@ amme5832

The farmers' market won't be an issue for Intotheheart as it ends at 1pm.  Even if it was during the day, the Brick Works has specific rooms for rental.

The other issue with using a place like Brick Works and similar historical landmarks, is that you have to use their approved vendors.  So your caterer would have to be on their list for her to use. 

But I definitely wish I had known you earlier.  $50/head is a good deal.  Where are you having your wedding/reception and how much are you spending on alcohol?
  • We are getting married in Markham at Heintzman House. Our caterer is "Merlyn's Unique Catering" (or caterers?). We are getting married on a Friday (that way we could rent our venue for $1300 plus the damage deposit), so that could be part of why the food is so low. I'm hoping we don't end up using it all, but the alcohol budget is $1000 - that gives us around 60 bottles of wine ( a red my fiance loves and a bubbly "green" wine - all I know is it's a fresh tasting wine. I don't know much about wines, but my family has enjoyed it the Gazela wine when we've taken it in the past (his coworkers drink it a lot); 8 cases of 24 beers (various types) and then 9 bottles of liquor. I think we are going to have too much, but better too much than running out part way through dinner! We don't have to worry about the softbar - the caterer will cover all that
  • We're doing our reception at Archeo too! :D
     It's small though... We have having 115 for cocktails+hors d'oevres only. I don't think Archeo could comfortably hold 120 for a sit-down dinner. Archeo is lovely and intimate, but I think Brickworks would better accomodate a party of 120. Hopefully you can find a reasonable caterer? (on the plus side, buying your own booze is much cheaper, so you may save some money that way)
  • Has anyone done their wedding photos at Evergreen Brick Works?  Did you have a good experience? Thx!
  • When I contacted Evergreen Greenworks they told me to expect to spend $250-475 per person... that was a little steep for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards