South Asian Weddings

Sharing my makeup experience

I would just like to share some things with you girls in case you find this useful. I looked through lots of portfolios, and scheduled trials with makeup artists who have done indian runway shows and American runway, magazines, etc etc. And, maybe I am super picky with makeup or something but I wasn't happy with a single artist!!! Not to mention, some of these trials were about $200-$300!

So, I took the advice of my DJ's coordinator who told me during her wedding, she couldn't find an artist and she was going to do her own makeup so she went to Sephora and they did a great job!  And, let me tell you, she was sooo right. I went to Sephora and they had me buy a $50 gift card for a "makeover". I told the girl which TV star look I was going for, and she did it perfectly. My skin was my exact color, airbrushed and flawless. The girl tried a bunch of different lipsticks and redid my eyeliner 4 times because I am VERY particular about my eyeliner and the eye shadow looked amazing!!

And, the best part of all, I would have paid this girl any amount at this point because I was so frustrated, she said she would do my wedding for less than $200. Most of the artists I contacted were charging me $1300-$2000 for hair and makeup or just makeup. I am waiting to hear back from her to confirm and I am praying it works out because I LOVED her.

Just wanted to share this tip if you girls get to this stage and get frustrated like I did. Definitely try Sephora, you have nothing to lose : ) Good luck!

Re: Sharing my makeup experience

• edited December 2011
    I know what you mean. I had this issue too. I was very unhappy with the lack of organization and communication I got from the Indian MUAs. I went to MAC and found an artist there who would do it for just $5 more than the cheapest quotes I was getting and way less then some of the others. She's doing free trials and I should have her confirmed in the next couple weeks. Congrats on your find!!
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the end, I didn't even use an Indian MUA... They really charge out of this world prices... 

I had an American MUA, and she saw the color swatches, we did trials, and it came out fantastic, and she did my hair as well :)  Less than $200 for two sets of hair, and makeup applications!  And she did my mom and auntie as well :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • bridetobeeebridetobeee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree with you. The indian makeup artists were charging me around $1200 which I thought was absurd.....I mean for makeup?? really? it isn't even like I am getting Kim Kardashian's makeup artist or anything and I have to pay more than a grand?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi i was wondering if anyone knew of any good indian/american makeup/hair artists in Westchester, NY. I really need some help. My wedding is September 10th and i still didn't arrange hair and makeup!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards