Wedding Etiquette Forum

How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?

Is it rude to cash it the next day? If I don't do it then, I'd have to wait until we get back from our honeymoon the following week to do so since our bank said we both have to be present if only my name is on the account. I don't want to mess up people's accounts because of the 1 week delay. I'm probably overthinking this.

P.S. I tried the search function but all that came up was cashing a check before the wedding. 

Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?

• Waiting a week would be fine. I also don't see how/why it would be rude to cash them the next day. We had a Saturday wedding and cashed our checks the following Monday. Why leave them sitting around?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We deposited all of our checks the day after the wedding.
  • You can write "For Deposit Only" and the account number on the back and deposit it at the ATM if your bank offers that feature.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-soon-after-your-wedding-do-you-cash-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b0222da8-5678-4f29-bb40-c2f5c375c15bPost:8ec47eca-c0c0-489f-b283-6edcf89cd87f">Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Waiting a week would be fine.<strong> I also don't see how/why it would be rude to cash them the next day. </strong>We had a Saturday wedding and cashed our checks the following Monday. Why leave them sitting around?
    Posted by hbatchel2[/QUOTE]
    I don't either, but I don't want people to think I'm so greedy that I can't wait />24h to cash it. <div>
    </div><div>So it seems that no one has a problem with depositing it the next day (which I prefer), but it's also OK to wait 1 week if needed. Thanks ladies!</div>
  • We cashed ours the day after.  We were going to Hawaii for two weeks and then driving from Cincy to Boston, and I didn't want the checks sitting around.   Obviously we kept track of the checks and givers and promptly wrote our thank you notes when we returned.

I didn't really think it was rude.  I'd rather have a person cash my check and get the money out of the bank promptly.
  • We also deposited right away.  I felt a little gift grabby doing it :-/ Not really sure why, guess it just felt like we were SO anxious to use the money or something?  But we were leaving for the HM and we would have had this stack of checks and cash sitting in our unattended house for 2 weeks and that made me uncomfortable. 

As an occassional check-giver (I usually stick to cash) waiting a week wouldn't bug me; it's when its been more than a month that I get irritated.  So if you don't want to do it right away you don't need to.
  • ThankfulSnailThankfulSnail member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    It looks like you already got your answer, but I just wanted to add that your guests should know that you'll be going on a honeymoon shortly, and if I wrote you a check, I would be expecting that it may take some time for the check to be cashed for that reason. If you can cash it next day, great, but I don't think anyone will be too offended that you had to wait until after your HM.

ETA: Since I would prefer the check to clear asap, I would be fine with it if you cashed it the next day, and I wouldn't think it would look rude or gift-grabby at all. Again, I would understan the restraints of an upcoming HM.
  • sooner the better for balacing purposes as the others said.

also, if possible, take the checks to the bank on which they were drawn and cash them, then deposit the cash into your account.  this serves two purpsoes.  1, by putting in cash, you have hte money available right away with no holds on your account.  2., if the funds arent available, tehy tell you that at the bank when you try to cash them, rather than having the check bounce at your bank.

most do not give a wedding check with the intent of it being rubber, but many people simply dont undertstand how to balance a checkbook. 
  • I agree with PPs who have said the sooner the better. As the giver, I don't like to have cheques sitting around for a long time, but I'd be fine if it took you a week to get around to it.

My brother and SIL took three and a half weeks to cash theirs. I was so annoyed I wanted to text them and tell them to freaking cash it already.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-soon-after-your-wedding-do-you-cash-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b0222da8-5678-4f29-bb40-c2f5c375c15bPost:31b4cf3e-507b-4ca7-a949-30ece1b476c1">Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]From a giver's standpoint, I'd prefer you do so as soon as possible.  I don't like having outstanding checks out there.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed. I plan on cashing (well, depositing) the checks we receive ASAP. I don't want the givers waiting too long to properly balance their checkbook and I don't want to lose any of them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-soon-after-your-wedding-do-you-cash-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b0222da8-5678-4f29-bb40-c2f5c375c15bPost:2660c364-fc33-496c-bc15-354af8780574">Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PPs who have said the sooner the better. As the giver, I don't like to have cheques sitting around for a long time, but I'd be fine if it took you a week to get around to it. <strong>My brother and SIL took three and a half weeks to cash theirs.</strong> I was so annoyed I wanted to text them and tell them to freaking cash it already.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]
    Wow, I'd be bothered too! So it seems like I should really try to cash them the next day. We leave for our honeymoon that day (Sunday), so I don't know if I'll be able to drive around to the different banks to cash all of the checks like PP mentioned. Although, that is a really smart idea. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks again!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-soon-after-your-wedding-do-you-cash-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b0222da8-5678-4f29-bb40-c2f5c375c15bPost:31b4cf3e-507b-4ca7-a949-30ece1b476c1">Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]From a giver's standpoint, I'd prefer you do so as soon as possible.  I don't like having outstanding checks out there.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree 100%. I don't see anything wrong with cashing it the next day. It's not rude to use someone's gift the next day... why would this be?</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It won't look gift grabby in the least to cash/deposit the checks the next day. It won't hit the giver's account for 1-3 days after that anyways, so it won't look like you ran to the bank right after being given the check.

If you're planning on CASHING the checks, you might run into some problems, depending on the account you're trying to cash it against. A bank can only cash checks up to a point where your account covers the checks (this is in case it is a bad check). If you want the money right away, I would check with your bank on their specific policies.
  • As PPs have said, the sooner the better.  I have had brides wait months before cashing them. 

In regards to not being able to cash checks without a joint account or if it's written to you with your husband's name.  It's a bunch of malarchy.  I deposited checks into my account even when they were just written to my H.  It never mattered. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-soon-after-your-wedding-do-you-cash-a-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b0222da8-5678-4f29-bb40-c2f5c375c15bPost:555a3616-8561-4912-8966-cefccd90493a">Re: How Soon After Your Wedding Do You Cash A Check?</a>:
    [QUOTE] also, if possible, take the checks to the bank on which they were drawn and cash them, then deposit the cash into your account.  this serves two purpsoes.  1, by putting in cash, you have hte money available right away with no holds on your account.  2., if the funds arent available, tehy tell you that at the bank when you try to cash them, rather than having the check bounce at your bank. most do not give a wedding check with the intent of it being rubber, but many people simply dont undertstand how to balance a checkbook. 
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

<div>If you do plan to do this, though, be warned that some banks charge a fee to cash a check if you don't have an account with them - I had a check written from an organization that I'm the treasurer of, am allowed to sign checks/my name is on the account, and they still would not cash a check written to me from that account because my personal checking account is at another bank.  They would have only done it for $10.</div><div>
    </div><div>I just deposited it to my own bank, since clearly I knew that we had the money.</div>
  • mwiederholdmwiederhold member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We waited a few days bc we had an oot wedding over a holiday wknd. I do have some friends that made it to the atm the night of their wedding if you waana hear "excessively grabby" and quite tacky, i personally wdnt want my gift givers seeing that id cashed their checks same day they written!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is SO tacky to cash them the next day - you only look desperate and greedy for the $!!  We took the cash on our honeymoon and waited until AFTER to cash the checks.  It just looks better. 
  • ZOMBIE!!!!!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It is SO tacky to cash them the next day - you only look desperate and greedy for the $!!  We took the cash on our honeymoon and waited until AFTER to cash the checks.  It just looks better. 
    I can't tell if you're kidding or serious.  Also, this thread is over a year old, so either way, it's irrelevant.
    Oh, okay. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We deposited checks at ATM at 8am Sunday morning after wedding.  I wrote thank you notes within 1.5 month of wedding.
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2013
    It's not tacky. If I give someone money, I'm not going to judge them for using it the next day. It's a gift, and I'd be thrilled if they could use it right away. Would you feel the same way if someone used a blender to make smoothies the next morning? Get real.
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards