Wedding Reception Forum
Options

wedding cake flavors??

i am having a wedding this october, so it will be a fall wedding. i have no clue what flavor cake to choose. it will have buttercream icing. any ideas??

Re: wedding cake flavors??

• Options
    Personally I'm a fan of the "boring" flavors. White, chocolate or marble will please just about everyone. I personally hate cake with fruit in the middle of it (I just eat around it), but I might be in the minority?

If you're looking for something different, pumpkin would be yummy! Maybe even carrot cake? I know I'd like both but I don't know your guests so I have no clue if they'd eat it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Talk with your baker when you make an appointment for your tasting. Let them know that you want a wide variety of flavors so that you can taste all that they have to offer. Personally, I'm a fan of Italian Cream Cake, but you can run into problems with allergies to nuts, or people not liking coconut, ha.

littleluckypenny, cinnamon-vanilla sounds delish!
  • Options
    Do a tasting!  That is really the best way to choose your flavor.  Double German chocolate raspberry sounds delicous, but when you taste it it could be way too rich.  I'd also avoid cake flavors with nuts just in case you have a guest with an allergy (like me!).  It would really kill the reception if you had to call an ambulance because a guest was in anaphylactic shock because he/she ate your amaretto cake and didn't realize it had nuts/nut extract in it.

Also, your cake doesn't have to go with your season if you don't want it to as long as it's tasty!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    We are having a different flavor of cake for each tier and also additional smaller cakes, chocolate, white, strawberry, lemon, red velvet, carrot, and also different flavors of frosting for each!
  • Options
    Cinnamon vanilla sounds yummy! I like the spice cake idea---that screams fall!

We tasted about 8 types of cake during our tasting and ultimately decided on orange cake with buttercream icing. It was the best... and it was also different and had a summer feel to it. It's probably what I'm most excited about (besides marrying my husband, of course!) :P
  • Options
    We're having 3 different flavors of cake. I recommend going to the bakery and having a tasting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had a fall wedding and had germann chocolate and white cake, so nothing really to do with the season.  We did, however, have a pumpkin cheesecake top layer for H and I because I hate cake, so I wanted something for me to actually eat at my own wedding.  I chose the pumpkin only because it tasted the best during our tasing, not necessarily to fit with the season.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would do a tasting and go with flavors that people would enjoy rather than go with the season. Wedding cakes are expensive, you will want people to enjoy it and eat it. Not take a bite or two then not like it. Don't worry about the flavors going with the season but maybe the decor of the cake. I have a picture of our fall wedding cake in my bio under "cake & accessories". We need marble cake for 2 tiers (1 tier with a chocolate filling the other with a custard fill) and the top was carrot cake.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:86b42dcf-4e46-4162-9b2d-7fc6e3780af2Post:ee87548b-3d62-4d30-abad-cf918f85c510">Re: wedding cake flavors??</a>:
    [QUOTE] littleluckypenny, cinnamon-vanilla sounds delish!
    Posted by sonya+adam[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Besides getting married, this is the detail I most look forward to. :)
  • Options
    I also suggest doing a tasting with a bakery. I know many bakeries around here have seasonal flavors. If the same goes for bakeries in your area, you will probably find a perfect fall flavor for your cake! GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've decied on only a 2 or 3 tiered cake. And then we'll have "gourmet" cupcakes. One flavor picked is an Apple Cider capcake with bits of real apple and a (made from scratch by me) caramel frosting. I found a recipe and anfter some testing, we found the right combo! now we just gotta figure out what other flavors, some not "fall" like.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are stacking vanilla and chocolate, with buttercream between. I like the normal flavours. Everyone will eat them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're having carrot cake, probably. That, or chocolate.
  • Options
    HoonahGrace - any possible chance you might share the caramel frosting recipe?
  • Options
    My husband LOVES red velvet and it was the one thing he really wanted as part of our wedding so I conceded.  We did a tasting and ended up with something completely different - but we both loved it!  We ended up with a white cake infused with pear brandy and filled with bavarian cream and chocolate chips.  To. Die. For!!!  We got married in November and it was great for our Fall wedding. 

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin, but if you wanted to go with Fall flavors you could consider pumpkin, maple, or carrot.  Good luck!  Hope you find something delicious!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    We did vanilla for all of the cake but our anniversary layer. that way no one can really complain and you avoid most allergies. Our anniversary layer is raspberry swirl and we ordered a small cake in that flavor to enjoy that day, so we wouldn"t have to wait to eat the flavor we wanted.
  • Options
    We are doing Orange Cream for one layer, Pineapple Cream for another and then Red Velvet for the top layer. Why do normal flavors, change it up and be different is what I say...
  • Options
    I have been thinking about doing Raspberry with a Lemon cream in between! Kind of summery but yet also not too out there!
    Anniversary
  • Options

We're doing several options for our August wedding, all of these are going to be decorated cupcakes:
    vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream
    chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream
    vanilla with raspberry cream cheese frosting
    red velvet with cream cheese frosting.

(I'm sad we won't get to eat several mini cupcakes of each flavour - I kind of hope people don't want cake!!)

For an October wedding, a spice cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting would be fantastic!

• Options
    For our reception here in the states we're having 3 layers. 1 layer is almond cake with raspberry buttercream filling, 1 layer french vanilla cake with mocha buttercream filling, and 1 layer German chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling for if people like a more normal flavor. We decided on these because they were what WE liked (if there's left overs that's fine with me I won't need to fit into my dress anymore so i'll gladly take it home!!). We wanted it to be what we liked and not do the boring flavors everyone has done. Also we asked the baker about nut allergies and she said she uses imitation almond stuff so it wont be a problem.
  • Options
    We are doing spice cake with a caramel filling--it was amazing!! We were torn between that and almond--which was also great!
  • Options
    Definitely do a tasting somewhere. Also think about what your guests would like overall. I know a lot of people that don't like carrot cake so that was out for us. We ended up with a white cake with buttercream icing and raspberry filling. It's delicious and I know the majority of our guests will like it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom had her wedding and had 3 tiers all with seperate flavors. She had a simple, beautiful wedding where she had vanilla with whipped cream cheese filling, chocolate with raspberry mouse, and then the third tier being carrot cake for my dad.

Due to the fall setting I think you should have fun with "warm" flavors like deep vanilla with a praline filling. You can get away with heavier tastes because the season is cold. 

If it helps you my cake is going to be multi tiered with red velvet and cream cheese as the top tier for me but for the others it will be almond milk cake with apricot filling and then a chocolate and rasberry mouse filling.

Go and taste samples at a bakery for a fun experience if you aren't sure! Smile

Good luck and have fun with it, don't let it stress you!
  • Options
    @kmmssg

Caramel Frosting:
    Ingredients:
     1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
     1/2 cup packed brown sugar
     2 tablespoons butter
     3 tablespoons milk
     1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
     In a medium saucepan, melt the butter then add the milk and brown sugar.
    Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 1 minute.
     Remove from heat, and whisk in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifting it into the pan to avoid lumps.
    Cool slightly, then very vigorously* whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (or less – I used the entire cup and I felt that the frosting was too thick).
     Frost cupcakes while the frosting is still slightly warm.
     *if you have problems doing this by hand, use an electric mixer, it is very important to whisk very quickly or it will not be smooth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:86b42dcf-4e46-4162-9b2d-7fc6e3780af2Post:4ed3cfac-01f8-4d6f-984d-2543e724a408">Re: wedding cake flavors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about a spice cake? That seems fall-like. I'm actually having cinnamon-vanilla cake as our flavor.[/QUOTE]
    I may be a little biased (I'm having vegan spice cake with vegan chocolate icing), but I love this idea! You could also try spice cake with cream cheese icing if you are just looking for white icing. <div>
    </div><div>My fiance will be having creamsicle (orange cream) flavor cake and icing.</div>
  • Options
    Ditto pps who suggested having a tasting since baker's specialty flavors often vary. We had red velvet cake with cookies n' cream filling, and it was delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards