Catholic Weddings

Communion Guidelines Wording

Anyone have a good communion guideline (on who can receive and what non-Catholics can do)?

All I can find online is page long descriptions of Canon law. I need something short and tactful for the program.

Re: Communion Guidelines Wording

• edited December 2011
    we'll be having non-Catholics attending our wedding as well, but to make sure we don't offend anyone, we won't be printing anything in the program. when it comes time to receive Communion, our Priest will simply invite our Catholic guests to come up to receive and offer to other guests the opportunity to come up for a blessing. it's totally up to you if you want to print something in your program, but you may want to consult your priest about this and what they normally do in instances when non-Catholics are in attendance. GL!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your guests will know if they can take communion.  You can always ask your priest if he can say something during the mass if you are really concerned.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most are Catholic, but we will have a few non-Catholic. Having the priest say something is probably sufficient, but I've seen a few sentences on some other event programs at our Church that did the job nicely that I thought would be a nice addition.

There area a few in our family who like to make up their own interpretations...
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about something along these lines:

Catholics in good standing are invited to receive Holy Communion. Other guests may receive a blessing by approaching the altar with arms crossed over the chest.

Sorry, it's not the best, but hopefully it gives you something to wordsmith. I know there are a few other knotties here who have put similar wording in their wedding programs (GulfCoaster did, I think).
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we ddi not print anything.  our priest made an announcement at the start of our ceremony.  i feel this is the more appropriate thing to do.  as long as you make him aware that there will be non-catholics present, the responsibliyt is on him to determine who should or should not receive.  i dont think its proper for lay persons to instruct others on whether or not they should receive.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are not of the Catholic faith, we invite you to come up and receive a blessing from the priest by crossing your arms across your chest. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cool, thanks. We may or may not do it.
  • edited December 2011
    I put this inside our program:

A more complete guide to the order of mass may be found in Today‟s Missal on pages 3-20 and continuing on page 83. Guidelines for the reception of communion are found on the front cover.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our priest asked us not to print anything about who can or cannot receive communion in our program, he said he would make a statement at the time reminding everyone who may receive and inviting others up for a blessing.

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's. I don't think you need to put anything in the program, but that is just my opinion. Some do the blessing with the arms crossed, others do not. As far as those family members who choose to receive but aren't full Catholic or whatever, don't worry about it. That is for them and God to decide. You just need to focus on your wedding day.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The majority of the guest were Catholic but the priest didn't make any announcment about non Catholics.

If one or two slipped by, the world didnt' end.

Your guests, for the most part, are not stupid.  Don't worry about it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_communion-guidelines-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:84d13673-c916-4c17-a82b-895b18b9b701Post:7236e152-fc5c-4f62-b6b1-82b0bfdc46e1">Re: Communion Guidelines Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Your guests will know if they can take communion</strong>.  You can always ask your priest if he can say something during the mass if you are really concerned.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true.  I come from a church where any person is allowed to receive communion as long as they receive it in their home church, and it created a very awkward situation for me once. 

Have your priest say something, or print something in the programs.  I have seen wording just like ring_pop posted in programs before.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    As one of the non-Catholics . . I agree that non-Catholics will understand about communion and printing a statement in the program is probably not necessary. I would suggest that you ask your Father what he suggest. I'm sure he has had the question before.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not necessarily true.  I come from a church where any person is allowed to receive communion as long as they receive it in their home church, and it created a very awkward situation for me once. 

Yes--and I know some family members have been offended because they don't understand why they are excluded. The wording I was looking for included an explanation of what the Eucharist means for Catholics and why non-Catholics cannot receive--I wasn't really worried about the "State of Grace" aspect of it.

At any rate, I'll leave it up to the priest and might use Blackfire5th's wording after I round up a missal--I stumbled across your bio and program and it was very helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    Glad I could help!  
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards