Florida-Central Florida

Dubsdread, thoughts please

Pretty much same as the subject. Wondering if anyone has used the facility or is planning to and their thoughts.  Or if ou even just looked there.  Thanks!

Re: Dubsdread, thoughts please

• chiokevanchiokevan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A ton of people have used it and loved it. I checked it out and it would be great, just a bit out of my price range. 
  • edited December 2011
    I thought it was very nice & really liked their coordinator a LOT! The only bad (or good! maybe good for you since you're out of state) thing is you have to use their restaurant catering. For you that may be good because it's one less thing to have to plan for. My guest list was 150 which meant my guests would have to be split into two rooms. And although the rooms are "adjoining" there's still a big separation between them & I didn't like that which is why we didn't choose them. For a more intimate wedding though it would be perfect. Good luck!
  • Maggie214624Maggie214624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married there in October and we love everything so far.  The food is great and they are extremely organized/responsive.  We love the fact that you basically get a DOC included in the price as well.  As previously stated, depending on the number of guests they may have to be split between two rooms. 

I would be happy to answer any questions about our experience thus far!
  • edited December 2011
    how far apart are the rooms? Does it still feel they are together?
  • Maggie214624Maggie214624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a large doorway that separates the two rooms.  I don't think it is too bad, but you may want to check out the link below to get a better feel about how it looks.

http://pilsterphotography.blogspot.com/2009/11/dubsdread-gets-new-look-courtesy-of.html
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my reception at Dubsdread!  I looked at several places like Leu Gardens, Women's Club, University Club, the Farmer's Market, and even the church I am getting married at.  Dubsdread is such a beautiful location, and it's perfect for my guest size of 80-100.  I love the fact that the cocktail hour is in a separate room, and the grounds are included in the rental of the facility.  The staff there has been fabulous so far, and they are willing to work within my budget.  I was fortunate enough to go to a tasting a few months ago, and the food was pretty good.  I think the food will be even better when the chef doesn't have to make nearly all the food in bulk for several hundred people.  I was able to get a summer discount on all the rooms, which made it less expensive than the other places I looked at.  I've heard great things about Dubsdread from other brides who have had their receptions there as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_dubsdread-thoughts-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:c080e019-15cc-4178-8baa-ea2d63101d5fPost:ea45c1b4-5d7a-493c-b0da-809437db8575">Re: Dubsdread, thoughts please</a>:
    [QUOTE]We love the fact that you basically get a DOC included in the price as well. 
    Posted by Maggie214624[/QUOTE]

<div>I am still learning all of these abbreviations.  What does DOC mean?  Thanks!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard nothing but fabulous things about this location.  My only concern (and the reason I didn't decide to look at it) is there was something different about the way they do their bar.  I *think* (and its been months since I was venue shopping, so I could be totally off on this) that what they did was you just put the money you wanted into the bar (instead of having a per head cost).  Then when you ran out of money you either had to turn it into a cash bar or give more money after the fact.  I have some big drinkers coming to my wedding, so that was a bit of a concern for me.. I personally wanted to know ahead of time how much I would be spending on the wedding, so didn't want to chance having to put more in that night.. and I also didn't want to convert to a cash bar during the ceremony.

Now, like I said, I am not 100% sure that I am not confusing them with someone else , but I do know that my reason for not going there was the different bar set up that I wasn't comfortable with.  Of course, had I talked to them about it, they may have been more flexible with it.  Just something you may want to inquire about.  =)
  • edited December 2011
    yeah it is per consumption.  So you pay for so much to be consumed and then you either turn to cash or pay more. We didn't like that either, I am wondering if they will be flexible because we don't have huge drinkers in our family but that is a pricey way of doing it. It seems most people do it per head or an over all hourly charge. 
  • edited December 2011
    My parents drove by it they told me when they called tonight and said that the building on the outside looked like it needed paint that the siding color was fading. What your feelings?  The menue looks fantastic.
  • jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not visit in person, but, honestly, that is the first negative I have heard about the beauty of the location.  I had many, many people refer me to it and they all said how beautiful it was.  Several previous brides had told me they had gorgeous pictures of their day from that venue.  I am hoping it didn't decline.. maybe it was not the best lighting when they drove by?  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

If you don't mind me asking, did LMEC not work out for you?  For some reason I had thought you were booked there..
  • edited December 2011
    I feel like the beauty is always in the eye of the beholder!  I love the look of Dubsdread because it matches me and my FI perfectly.  I think it's really pretty on the inside.  It's got that elegant rustic vibe.  The outside of the building isn't the most impressive thing, but the rolling hills from the golf cart (hills in FL!) are quite lovely.  I like the look of the outdoor courtyard with the giant tree and iron arch way.

My FI are more minimalist in our taste, so we were looking for something that didn't require a lot of decorating to dress it up.  Something like the Leu Gardens reception room was too similar to the inside of a hotel conference room in my opinion, and the Farmer's Market was too rustic for me.  So the open aired, window-lined, elegant rustic feel of Dubsdread really appealed to me.  I can totally understand if someone else doesn't like it though!  Good luck!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well I think it is beautiful on the inside from the pictures and my FI agrees. We have concerns about the seperation the pictures made the door look like a normal door frame.  I don't want people to feel casted to another room. My parents wen't during the day, though they said it was kinda raining during that day. My mom said 10 years ago the food was terrible there, but of course menu and staff change a lot in 10 years. However though we loved the menue, FI said he didn't like the look of the siding. we love the trees, I love live oaks with spanish moss.  Haha those hills are artifical I garuntee, most golf courses are.  Though Florida does have natural hills they are just small compared to most of the country.  Ever been to Tallahasee, those are hills haha.

We like rustic, just isn't the feeling for our wedding, though I have seen it doen so beautifully.  Check out my siggy for my wedding mood board.

LMEC is booked till December 2011 is their earliest option now :(. I wanted it but I refuse to book something I haven't seen in person. We have it on our list to see still because if we don't find a place we like or feel will suit us for our wants in space, then we are going to consider moving our date to fit the avalibility of LMEC. 
  • stephanapanosstephanapanos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a photographer (and a bride) I recommend the venue.  Not only are the dark wood beams and fireplace an excellent setting, the outside offers great locations for pictures.  My only suggestion if you are going to have the ceremony under the big tree, watch your timing (both day and season).  If the sun is shining brightly, you and your groom may have some very strong shadows and highlights in the shapes of leaves on your faces and your guests may be sweating terribly (programs in the shape of fans help with the latter issue).
    Stephana Panos * Owner/Photographer/Bride * sonaphotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Stephana, however we are having our ceremony at my church in Altamonte Springs. Thanks for the tip though for lighting.    Yes I have helped make fan programs for my cousins wedding in the past, highly recomend them and water bottles.
  • edited December 2011
    I toured Dubsdread and agree that the outside isn't the most impressive.  I loved the room with the fireplace and the wood beams...but didn't like the look of the other room.  I would say it was probably second choice mostly because of all the positive reviews.  I have decided though to go with the Winter Park Racquet Club:  http://www.wprc.net/

We're hoping to get married at the Knowles Chapel at Rollins (we met when we were getting our MBAs there) but you can't book it until 1 year out.  There is a really beautiful area for the ceremony outside at WPRC.  The building is really neat too :)
  • edited December 2011
    We loved Dubsdread and the food prices were VERY resonable to me. The main reason we didn't choose them was b/c of the consumption based bar, my friends drink way too much for that and the drink pricing was around 7-8 each for cocktails. The space looks like a comfortable cabin, it would make for a beautiful intimate wedding. The only other thing that bothered me was that it has an old musty smell inside.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards