Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

To letterpress or not to letterpress

So, I know I could save a LOT of money by going with flat printing, but I am currently dead set on letterpress. Two of my bridesmaids are really talented graphic designers, and I want to show off their work as much as I want beautiful invitations and paper.

Did anyone want letterpress and compromise (for budget or other reasons...) and regret it? Did anyone not regret it? What do you think?

Thanks!

Re: To letterpress or not to letterpress

• Options
    Initially I really wanted letterpress, and I found some BEAUTIFUL options. In the end, I was unable to justify the cost. I decided that it was more important to add some options to my reception (e.g. photobooth), and to have an extra couple.  Overall, you have to be comfortable with the decision.  I found some beautiful (non-letterpress) options on Etsy that were really elegant and much more affordable.  Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    As PP said, you have to priortize.

As a guest, if I received a letterpress invitation, I would expect a very elegant affair, with full open bar, lavish food, etc.  The invitation conveys the feel of the wedding, so don't send a very formal invitation for a more casual event.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Everyone has different tastes, different "I really want this!" feelings.  For me, letterpress was very important. In an effort to manage the budget, though, I was willing to go without.  When H and I went to the stationery store, at the last minute, he said we should go with letterpress. 

I was absolutely thrilled, beyond words.  Letterpress reflected the historic venue, set the tone for the evening we'd planned and matched our personal style perfectly.  I loved our invitations and did not have a minute of regret.  We received many compliments on every aspect of the wedding, including the amazing invitations. 

Go for it!!
  • Options
    I guess I see it like this: the invitations/paper goods are something that I will be able to keep, and maybe even frame. And since they will be completely custom designed (for free) this is something I guess I do want to prioritize.

Thanks for the advice! Although, I don't think that a letterpressed invitation is necessarily a super formal touch. I have seen plenty of more modern, casual designs. But, I will definitely have to be willing to scrimp on some other things, that's for sure!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_to-letterpress-or-not-to-letterpress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:eeac106e-8750-46df-8e2c-44078dcfdaaaPost:3e4b58f5-7413-4e91-b56c-d9d8deafa9c1">Re: To letterpress or not to letterpress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I see it like this: the invitations/paper goods are something that I will be able to keep, and maybe even frame. And since they will be completely custom designed (for free) this is something I guess I do want to prioritize. Thanks for the advice! Although, I don't think that a letterpressed invitation is necessarily a super formal touch. I have seen plenty of more modern, casual designs. But, I will definitely have to be willing to scrimp on some other things, that's for sure!
    Posted by lizlovescupcakes[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree!  I was one of very few on these boards who chose the letterpress route.  I LOVED my invitations.  You will, too!
  • Options
    Maybe "formal" wasn't the right word.  "Upscale" is more what I was trying to convey.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_to-letterpress-or-not-to-letterpress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:eeac106e-8750-46df-8e2c-44078dcfdaaaPost:9591e6d1-9f5e-4ded-ae2d-17eb6a478167">Re: To letterpress or not to letterpress</a>:
    [QUOTE]As PP said, you have to priortize. As a guest, if I received a letterpress invitation, I would expect a very elegant affair, with full open bar, lavish food, etc.  The invitation conveys the feel of the wedding, so don't send a very formal invitation for a more casual event.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

This is how I see it too. Letterpress and engraving generally mean a more upscale event.
    planning

• Options
    I really really wanted letterpress for our invitations, but when it came down to the bottomline it was just entirely too expensive for something not actually present at our wedding. We compromised and went with Thermography printing through weddingpaperdivas.com. The lettering is raised and gorgeous, still creating an air of elegance. We are having a more formal wedding so it made sense for us. It's obviously more expensive than regular printing, but significantly less than letterpress. I love it!
  • Options
    I had wanted and wanted and WANTED letterpress invitations.  I even found a couple options that I thought were perfect and super affordable (for letterpress anyway) but when it came down to it, I just couldn't manage it with the budget.  I had tried fitting everything onto the one invite (even though ceremony and reception were in different places), not having any inserts, etc.  But I just couldn't do it.  In the end, I picked a classic, elegant, simple invitation, got the separate reception card and rsvp card (still no other inserts), and I am very happy with it.  I would have loved to get letterpress but nor was I willing to cut people from the guest list -- so I just couldn't.  And I am genuinely happy with my decision.

If you do choose to go the letterpress route, I loved the letterpress from ParkLifePress and it was some of the most reasonable letterpress pricing I found.

Good luck with the decision!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, I did go thermography.  I would have been happy to go with flat printing if it wasn't letterpress but my mom felt it was still better.  Every time I actually got invites priced out, the thermography was the same price as flat -- so I guess my mom was right in that sense!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards