Outdoor Weddings

# of Bathrooms per Guest Ratio

Hi all! 

My boss has graciously offered her private ranch as my venue, the problem is the number of bathrooms available. I would like to keep people out of the house, and she has two bathrooms with access from outdoors.

She seems to think this isn't enough, and that I should also rent a couple of porta-pottys. The idea of having porta pottys at my wedding makes me cringe!

We are inviting right around 100 people. Do you think we need more than 2 bathrooms? Even if we had porta potty's I am inclined to believe that guests would wait in line for a real toilet, ad not even use the portable ones...

Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: # of Bathrooms per Guest Ratio

• I'd like to add that most of the venues in my area that I looked at renting had one, or two bathrooms, with a capacity of up to 150 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There are nice portable restrooms. We are renting on in our area that is a trail with 4 individual restrooms with running water and sinks for $600 (thats my area though). You should at least look in to it...Two restrooms for 100 people seems like there might be a line all night to me.
  • I don't think 2 bathrooms is enough for 100 people. You are going to have long lines. Porta pottys are nasty.
  • I agree with PP. Plus if your boss is so nice to let you use her ranch you should respect her wish and look into portal potty.
    I also wander if it is just a regular bathroom in a house, will it be able to keep up with the "work"? I think it would be more trouble if all of a sudden the toilet overflows or stops working.
    There are nice portal potty out there that aren't as gross as we all know them. Just my thoughts. I hope it will all work out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_of-bathrooms-per-guest-ratio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:5212de37-b2d1-4f8f-a2d9-e4171b522692Post:3f78dd22-6076-4114-966a-d93c1d56457c">Re: # of Bathrooms per Guest Ratio</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP. Plus if your boss is so nice to let you use her ranch you should respect her wish and look into portal potty. I also wander if it is just a regular bathroom in a house, will it be able to keep up with the "work"? I think it would be more trouble if all of a sudden the toilet overflows or stops working. There are nice portal potty out there that aren't as gross as we all know them. Just my thoughts. I hope it will all work out!
    Posted by Anna_Emig[/QUOTE]

That is a good point. Are their sewers or septic tanks for waste? You have to ensure that it can handle the load for 150 people. A residential waste system is not the same as a commercial one.
  • we are only going to have 2 bathrooms for 200ish people. im not concerned because we usually host superbowl (lots of beer drinking) at our house (same location as wedding) with about 100 people each time, that was before we renovated part of the building into an apartment, adding a bathroom.  there was sometimes a small 2 or 3 person line, like at half-time, but even then it wasnt bad. i'm not worried about it.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • We had 78 people and two bathrooms.  It worked out just fine, and there was never a line.  I was really worried about the bathroom staying clean etc, but everyone was really great about just not making a mess/picking up after themselves.  I think having it at someones home makes people more cautious of those things.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • Usually 'they" recommend 1 bathroom per 50 guests, so you would only need 2 for your 100 guests.

We are using my FILs property and they have more than enough bathrooms but we are renting bathrooms so that there isn't too much strain on the plumbing system.

The bathrooms we are renting come in a mobile trailer and they look like real bathrooms on the inside.  They have lighting, AC, sinks and I plan to make up baskets and put down bathroom mats.  Port - o - potties aren't what they used to be!
    TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • heidilynn43heidilynn43 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I say go with the PP for many of the reasons above.

Also keep in mind that it is a farm, and if it is like my parents' where I am having my wedding, it's a septic system that will likely not handle that amount :)
  • Sweet Guppy...

A standard portable restroom can accommodate approximately 200 uses.  For an event your size with already two facilities available, adding one portable restroom will be plenty. 

I believe I saw you are from California.  I'd love to be able to provide a restroom for you, but we are in Florida.  However....Andy Gump is an excellent company.  You might want to check them out. Good luck with your wedding and a happy and healthy future to you and your groom.

Jennifer
    Jennifer Corrigan T&M Portable Restrooms, Inc www.tmrestrooms.com
  • Jennifer ~ Thank you so much for the referral!  I am Nikki, with Andy Gump, Inc. and just came across your post.  How nice to be known in Florida!  I will be sure to keep your info for times when I need to refer someone in Florida.
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards