Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Dorothy Ann Bakery- Fondant cake help!!

Any rants or raves? Looking to use them for my wedding cake. Thanks!

Edited to Add: My fiance and I really want a fun, colored cake which I assume will need to be done with fondant. Our colors are hot pink and lime green. Does anyone have a bakery recommendation? Dorothy Ann is the one bakery I have found that has pics of this type of cake on there website. Buttercream and The roseville bakery all seem to have white, cream and brown cake.

Re: Dorothy Ann Bakery- Fondant cake help!!

• Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went for a tasting there because the prices are so low. I thought a lot of the cakes looked beautiful, but I thought they tasted terrible. BUT, I'll add the caveat that I catered weddings for a long time, so I've tried a LOT of cake and know what I would consider to be excellent vs. cake "from a box". I consider Dorothy Ann to be the ultimate "from a box cake".
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about Miss Sara's Cakery. Rants or Raves?
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never heard of it, but I know a lot of people on this board highly recommend Penny Steele cakes for really good fondant design. 

We also tasted at Queen of Cakes, and I think they do fondant. They're cake was delicious, too!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have used dorothy ann for two important cakes, and both times we ended up cutting the cake to find marble instead of white.  Not the end of the world.. but annoying.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a recommendation for a particular bakery, but I will tell you this - you don't need to go with fondant to get the colors you're looking for.

I'd also go for a tasting and make sure you like fondant. I've had some that tastes terrible, some that tastes great but has a nasty texture, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most people don't like and don't eat the fondant. It's more to get that certain look that only fondant can give. 

But it's true that you can get those colors in non-fondant frosting ... just depends on what design you want, though.
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards