Michigan-Detroit

Hello to everyone! New to the board.

Hi Everyone.

My name is Anne Marie, and my fiance's name is Matthew. I have been lurking and reading for a while, and I'm not too great with a computer, so I don't know how to do the "fancy" stuff, but I thought I could at least figure out how to post, and say hello. I am currently planning my second wedding. My first ended after almost 25 years to an abusive spouse. I am currently engaged to a wonderful man, and find myself somewhat surprised that I am even doing this again, but even though people make comments about "doing this before", I feel like I am in it for the first time.

I don't have a lot of friends that live close by, so have been doing most of the planning on my own, but found my dress! I actually went by myself, and had been looking at a few places for something totally plain, no train, etc., as all I had heard was, "this is your SECOND wedding, and you should just keep it simple."  After a few months of hearing this, my fiance' was with me when it was said during a family outing, and he spoke up and said, "Uh, actually, no it's not. This is the first time We Are Marrying Each Other".  And when I went to a local bridal shop, on my own, after trying on plain dresses, the consultant there said, "I want you to try this on", and brought me a dress that had a very beaded bodice, and a corset back and a train. At first, I resisted, and said it was too fancy, but she said, "humor me.", and I put it on. She laced it up and took me out to the mirrors, and put me on the podium, and I looked in the mirror and gasped. It was beautiful!
I sent pictures to my girlfriends, and they responded with text messages telling me I looked absolutely stunning, and you have to get this dress.
I have hesitated, not sure if it really was too much for a second wedding, but again, one night was talking it over with my fiance', and he asked me, "do you love it?", and I said I did, and he said, "don't settle. Get the one that you love."
So I went in today, with my shoes that just came in, and put it all on, and stood up in front of that mirror and got all choked up. So I guess that settles it. This is my dress. And my fiance' says that if anyone has anything nasty to say, they can do it in the privacy of their own home. That he really doesn't care what they think. (No, he hasn't seen it, just knows I've worried over it.) We were trying to make a suit choice, when by chance one that we'd been looking at renting came into the bridal shop today from another wedding, and they let him come in and try a jacket on, and it looked fantastic, so that decision is made too.
It's a bit difficult doing most of this alone, and although I have supportive friends, they are far away with their own lives, and I feel silly sometimes wanting someone who understands, or who will just say "YAY" with me, so I thought maybe I could find that here.
Anyway, thanks for reading this, and letting me say hello. And share a "YAY!"
I got my dress, and I love it!!
And I'm happy to be here.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hello to everyone! New to the board.

• YAY!!! and congratz! When is your wedding going to be? Have you picked a venue yet? The dress sounds beautiful and as long as you feel radiant in it no one else's opinion matters :) Welcome to the board! There is a wealth of information and advice here that has truly helped me. I don't have time to post on the boards much, but I love being here whenever I can. Very happy for you :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello hjewell29, and thank you!
    Our weddingand reception are going to be June 2, 2013, at Silver Shores Waterfront in Wyandotte, MI.
    I have been reading a little bit, and have found it helpful, but find that not many women are having ceremonies or receptions close by. Most are further out from me. Would love to find couples who have used closer vendors, and get opinions. But have also seen lots of pics of dresses and such. It is such a lovely time in your life. I hope everyone takes the time to enjoy it, and not let anyone or anything stress you out or ruin it. Make the planning and the engagement just as special as the wedding and the rest of your life together will be!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Welcome to the board!
  • Welcome and congrats on finding a dress!  You are right about enjoying it.  It is hard not to let the stress get to you a little every now and again.  I find a good nights sleep and taking a little break helps you gain some perspective.  The time goes by fast.  FI and I are getting married in Flat Rock, also not in the Detroit area as his family is from Monroe but this board is great!  Happy Planning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • sbradkesbradke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_hello-to-everyone-new-to-the-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:1e52272c-6f84-4080-ae7e-a0d453e920c0Post:e8579add-f1f2-445c-82be-acb5bf878b59">Hello to everyone! New to the board.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Everyone. My name is Anne Marie, and my fiance's name is Matthew. I have been  I am currently planning my second wedding. My first ended after almost 25 years to an abusive spouse. I am currently engaged to a wonderful man, and find myself somewhat surprised that I am even doing this again, but even though people make comments about "doing this before", I feel like I am in it for the first time. I don't have a lot of friends that live close by, so have been doing most of the planning on my own, but found my dress! I actually went by myself, and had been looking at a few places for something totally plain, no train, etc., ......  And when I went to a local bridal shop, on my own, after trying on plain dresses, the consultant there said, "I want you to try this on", and brought me a dress that had a very beaded bodice, and a corset back and a train. At first, I resisted, and said it was too fancy, but she said, "humor me.", and I put it on. She laced it up and took me out to the mirrors, and put me on the podium, and I looked in the mirror and gasped. It was beautiful! I sent pictures to my girlfriends, and they responded with text messages telling me I looked absolutely stunning, and you have to get this dress. I have hesitated, not sure if it really was too much for a second wedding, but again, one night was talking it over with my fiance', and he asked me, "do you love it?", and I said I did, and he said, "don't settle. Get the one that you love." So I went in today, with my shoes that just came in, and put it all on, and stood up in front of that mirror and got all choked up. So I guess that settles it. This is my dress. [/QUOTE]

I totally understand about the dress. This is my second marriage too (September 2012) and I expected to get a plain dress, no train, no beading, etc. I had a similar expreience and tried on a dress suggested by the salesperson.  It's gorgeous, makes me look fabulous and feel special.  Those corset backs work wonders, don't they?

Congratulations and enjoy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • I'll share a YAY! also!  It sounds like you had "the moment" with your dress when you knew it was the one.  That's so exciting!

This will be my FI's second marriage also.  We call the first one the "warm up" for the real thing Wink

The nice thing about a crappy relationship is that after you get out of it, it helps you really and truly cherish the new good one.  It sounds like your FI is a wonderful guy.  Congrats and welcome!
  • Thank you everyone for responding and making me feel welcome. I hope that we can all find ways to have the best experience possible in this process.  It's nice to hear from people who understand. I really feel happy and peaceful for the first time in months. I have a while to go, but for now, everything is coming together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards