Favors
Options

CD favors.. lame?

So we are trying to keep our budget down as much as possible because we have already gone over a few grand.  We are doing a cruise wedding and are very limited on what is allowed on the ship for favors.. no food (unless individually store wrapped), glass, candles, or sharp objects.  So we have come to the conclusion of personalizing a mixed CD in paperboard sleeves.  The front of the paperboard sleeve will have our monogram on it and inside will be the CD with a label coveing it.  The songs will be our first dance song and songs that are meaningful to our relationship.. like the song that played after he proposed, "our" song, songs that we ALWAYS play in the car, etc.  The booklet inside will contain lyrics to each song and a little bit about why it is special to us.  
Is this lame or cute? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit The Knot! image 76 Invited
image 73 Attending
image 3 Declined
image 0 Unknown
RSVP Date: April 29th, 2011

Re: CD favors.. lame?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Any suggestions then?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 73 Attending
    image 3 Declined
    image 0 Unknown
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're going to hear a lot that most people aren't into it.  The main reason being that not everyone's music tastes are the same, but I also am of the opinion that if someone likes a song and wants to have it on their iPod, they'll have it already. 

It might be special to you, but you should be thinking of what is a good thank you for your guests.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  I think they're lame.  While you'll probably enjoy a CD of "your" songs, why would I want a CD of your songs.  I would probably either leave it at the table as I exit the reception, or toss it as soon as I get home.

As a rule, I don't ever enjoy CD mixes.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just skip favors altogether.  Take the money you would have spent on the CDs and upgrade your food or bar, add a dessert or a signature cocktail, etc. If you just have to do something, I like personalized matchbooks--yeah most people don't like personalized favors but this is the one instance I could see an exception being made and it would be easy for people to take with them, everyone can use them, etc.  And they are cheap but are still cute and useful.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend did this, and I think it was a waste of her time. Most people dont have the same taste in music as you, and it wont mean as much to them anyway. I took the CD but I have never listened to it.
    I would just skip the favors all together.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every time I've received one of these, it immediately went in the trash can.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just skip favors all together. Honestly, its 2010. Who the hell still listens to CDs?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the same thing, except we are having all the music on the cd have all the major songs for our wedding!!!! And we are going to have a label on the front with our picture and the date on it. :]
    I think it's a cute idea, plus most of the people that will be there have the same taste in music, and we have already bounced ideas off of most everyone, and they all loved the cd idea.

This is just my opinion, my friends and family liked the idea, ask your friends and family :]
  • Options
    ekilzer1ekilzer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Brother did this for his wedding (back in 2001). But instead of doing stuff that only the Bride and Groom chose, they asked everyone from their wedding party to pick their favorite song. It was nice because there was a wide variety of music on the cd (everything from country, The Beatles, 80s music...etc) it was fun!
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cd-favors-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:10ef2d91-e23c-446c-928a-890d02c13be5Post:bc585cf2-a268-461b-b4a2-53626f8c5739">Re: CD favors.. lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care for it because it's not only something that most people don't want, but it's also a gross violation of copyright law.  If I do really enjoy one of the artists that you put on there, then I'm going to want them to be properly compensated for their work, and will likely be irritated that you stole from someone that I enjoy. ***Disclaimer:  <strong>If however you are the one bride ever to post who is using ONLY live versions of songs where the artist SPECIFICALLY told you that you should record what they were about to play and then distribute it freely to whomever you wanted, then it's just a lame favor but no longer ethically repulsive.
    </strong>Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

...and I believe would be a Bruce Springsteen CD.  I went on a horrible date once with a guy who described recording one of Bruce's concerts.  It was his main/only topic of conversation.  And this is when I was still in Cincinnati, Jersey was a decade and a half away.  Stage...you really have to stop reminding me of horrible things I've blocked out...
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, but lame.  I would probably leave the CD at the wedding or toss it in the trash.  I know very few people who even use CDs still! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't use it, if I liked a song I heard at your reception and wanted to hear it again I would just put it into Pandora later. Since you're overbudget anyhow jut skip the favors.
  • Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lame.  Sorry but you asked.  Skip favors and save your money. No one will miss them. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your honest opinions!! We have decided to change our favor to something edible.. I checked with the cruise line and they just have to be wrapped!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 73 Attending
    image 3 Declined
    image 0 Unknown
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for another idea, make a donation to you and your FI's favorite charity-- it can be something small like a dollar/guest total-- and just hand out little cards that say something to the effect of "In lieu of traditional favors, a donation has been made in your name to the Bride and Groom's favorite charity, X."  And then maybe a sentence or two about what the charity does/why it means something to you and your partner.  Easy to produce/travel with, can be meaningful to both of you, and then you're not just spending money on some kind of favor for the sake of spending money on something tangible.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lsvennsson: 

I am the person who wrote part of the sticky at the top of the page, re:  donation favors.

I think donations are wonderful.  I make them often.  I believe in donating to charities that are meaningful and important to ME and MY family.  But I don't believe that they are in any way, shape, or form a "favor" to your guests.

They are a favor to the charity, and to those who benefit from the charity.  But can anyone explain to me how giving money to someone else is a favor for me? 

Think about the word favor:  "I'm going to do you a favor and shovel your driveway this winter."  Wonderful!!  Now what if someone said "I'm going to do you a favor and shovel my invalid cousin's driveway this winter."  See what I mean?  It's a favor:  for the invalid cousin.  But it's not anything for me.

I DON'T need a favor.  I don't really WANT a favor at a wedding.  After all, you've presumably given me dinner, drinks, and good entertainment already.  A tulle pouch filled with Hershey's kisses isn't going to make or break your wedding.  But at least they're for me.

Make your donation.  But why the need to announce it to your guests?  That's where it becomes wrong.  Because your guests don't need to know that you made a donation.  As the old Nike ad said:  "Just do it".  I'll add to the slogan:  "Just don't announce it."
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cd-favors-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:10ef2d91-e23c-446c-928a-890d02c13be5Post:15270775-0832-405b-9256-aa9fc18c01b1">Re: CD favors.. lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're looking for another idea, make a donation to you and your FI's favorite charity-- it can be something small like a dollar/guest total-- and just hand out little cards that say something to the effect of "In lieu of traditional favors, a donation has been made in your name to the Bride and Groom's favorite charity, X."  And then maybe a sentence or two about what the charity does/why it means something to you and your partner.  Easy to produce/travel with, can be meaningful to both of you, and then you're not just spending money on some kind of favor for the sake of spending money on something tangible.
    Posted by lsvensson[/QUOTE]

No.  No.  NO.

Just No.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards