Wedding Invitations & Paper

addressing envelopes

anyone use their own printer to address envelopes?

Hard?  Any pointers?

Re: addressing envelopes

• I did, it was really easy.  It took a couple of tries to figure out the correct orientation for the envelope, but once I did it was no problem.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I am actually currently having difficulty doing so.  When I did the test it worked fine, now I can't print.  This is only with the response envelopes (from Cards & Pockets).  I haven't tried with the outer envelope yet.  

So, sorry, I don't have anything but frustration to offer you, but would be open to hearing others' experiences and tips!  I'm seriously considering handwriting the addresses, if my hands will cooperate.

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_addressing-envelopes-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f863e669-b0ca-4dea-80d1-f6bbe126da8ePost:9eaaebce-2607-4663-8a17-870b5ef633ac">Re: addressing envelopes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did, it was really easy.  It took a couple of tries to figure out the correct orientation for the envelope, but once I did it was no problem.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

<div>What program did you use to print?  I'm using an HP Photosmart and find that it smudges the last bit of the text as it goes through the printer.  I'm stumped as to what's wrong... </div>

photo by Scott Metzger

Anniversary

• I have HP photosmart as well.  Haven't tried yet.  I was thinking to print because I think my hand will tire after 100 addresses and that I may have more mess ups.  Plus, I don't know calligraphy.
  • We have an Espon multifunction.  I noticed after we had most of them done that it had left a little smudge on the edge of the envelopes right by the stamp, but I just ignored it.  Hopefully the cancel stamp is close enough to take the blame, but since it was tiny enough that I almost missed it, I'm guessing it won't get noticed.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I used my own printer...I found it pretty easy.  Set up the page for the size of your envelope.  It didn't take me long.  I just used MS word
  • Unfortunately it's not so much smudging as blurring of the text (sorry, I sort of misspoke).  It's as if the envelope slips out of line as it's being fed through the printer and so the ink starts smearing the letters.  4 out of 5 times this happens, grrrr... 

photo by Scott Metzger

Anniversary

• Hmmm. . . are the envelopes really heavy?  Thick?  If so, it's probably that.  The ones I did were light weight.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_addressing-envelopes-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f863e669-b0ca-4dea-80d1-f6bbe126da8ePost:e4703a73-251f-4c55-8f2c-c34f56d96409">Re: addressing envelopes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm. . . are the envelopes really heavy?  Thick?  If so, it's probably that.  The ones I did were light weight.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

They're the Honey Graham envelopes from Cards and Pockets... they are pretty sturdy, so you might be right.  I managed to get the majority of the enveloped printed cleanly, eventually, but it took a few tries to determine the best way to feed them through the printer.  I set up the document in Publisher (and the HP printer settings) as a normal 8.5 x 11 inch sheet, but positioned the text so that it would print where the envelope would line up with it.  But then I had to turn the text upside down... gah, a bit of an ordeal.

Caveat: my printer is easily 5-6 years old, so I don't know if its quirkiness is due to its age, the paper I'm trying to print on, or a combo of both.  I had some issues printing on the cardstock as well (100lb Cream Puff).  Got it all done eventually, but not problems I'd anticipated from the tests on the sample sheets. 

<strong>Word to the wise:</strong> if you're going to buy full sheet cardstock and then cut it, make sure to test printing on the <u>entire</u> sheet.  I had problems where 2/3 of the sheet would print fine and then it messed up the last couple of inches, so I had to adjust how I laid stuff out to print.

[Edit: Sorry for the slight hijack of this post, but I hope my experiences are still useful to some!]

photo by Scott Metzger

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards