DC
Options

Amphora Bakery = NIGHTMARE!!

I got married 3 weeks ago and I just wanted to warn everyone NOT to get their wedding cake from Amphora Bakery in Herndon, VA because they delivered a FROZEN 5 tier cake to my wedding reception.  They delivered the cake at 5:30pm and when I cut the cake at 10pm - the center of the cake was still frozen.  The cake was so hard to cut that my hotel told me that they almost broke the knife.  I definitely didn't get the 200 servings I paid for because the center of the cake was unable to be cut and some of the slices they served were crumbled and broken.  NOT GOOD QUALITY!  Several people at my wedding were commenting about watching the guy trying to cut into the frozen cake.  It was embarrassing.

When I contacted Amphora to let them know I wasn't happy - they said they would have to look into it and get back to me.  NOT the correct response in my opinion, but I was willing to see what happened.  They never called me back - I have to keep calling them.  Now they are denying that they freeze their cakes and they don’t know what happened - of course they are going to say that now.  That was 3 weeks ago and there still isn’t a resolution.   My hotel logged that the cake was extremely difficult to cut in their event log the night of my wedding.  What more does Amphora Bakery want?  They will not believe me, my wedding planner, the hotel - they are just trying to run me in circles and hope I leave them alone.

I finally got in touch with the owner (Maria Cholakis) and she was YELLING at me on the phone yesterday.  I told her that yelling at me wasn’t helping the situation and if anyone should be yelling it should be me.  They have not apologized or offered any kind of resolution.  She told me that as far as they are concerned once the cake is delivered – they are done - they’ve done their job.  I said no – you need to deliver quality and stand behind your work.  They already have my money and she’s not interested in making me a happy customer.   They require that you pay for the entire cake up front – I paid for my cake in February and didn’t get married until October.  Now I know why – this way their customers don’t have any recourse. 

Save yourself the nightmare and DO NOT DEAL with Amphora Bakery!!  They do not stand behind their cakes and don't care about their customer's happiness.  I've never met more unprofessional people in my life!!  This is a shame becasue all of my other vendors were 5 stars and Amphora is a ZERO.

Re: Amphora Bakery = NIGHTMARE!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    omg! thanks for the tip i will be sure to stay away from them! i hope everything works out for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ugh! so sorry to hear about your experience with amphora. i'm glad that your other vendors worked out well, though!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_amphora-bakery-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:b898c56c-52f8-4643-8a8f-a9b375c1744dPost:4136d14c-d700-41a6-a131-975f885311e4">Re: Amphora Bakery = NIGHTMARE!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ugh! so sorry to hear about your experience with amphora. i'm glad that your other vendors worked out well, though!
    Posted by fchan1[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, too!  That sucks.  I hope you are able to get to a resolution.  It's amazing that she would continue to deny a problem with the hotel backing you up.  *sigh*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the feedback! This is why we have local boards!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, that is a nightmare! Sooo sorry. If you haven't already done this, you should also post this on the local listserves and review sites like Yelp.

On the bright side, everything else went beautifully. I'm sure the guests will be remembering how amazing you looked in your dress and not the frozen cake. Wink
  • Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds aweful! Like PPs said, you should post it on review sites. Just make sure your details are specific enough, so that if the owner sees the posts, she may contact you to make amends. Clearly, this is not ideal, and she should have offered something immediately, but it could help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards