Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Cake Decor'

FI and I are stumped on how to decorate the cakes...yes, that's plural. Cake"S"

Our venue does not provide cake preference/allowance. And we just don't have the budget for a $500-$900 cake. Nor do we WANT to spend that much money on cake.

Which is fine, we found somewhere we really want to get our cakes from. $110 for 150people. :) But they don't have any wedding-y decor ideas that we like. I can't find any online either.

Here's the catchy part, it's two sheet cakes, and then a personal circle cake. I thought maybe sticking the two sheet cakes on the sides of the circle cake and then maybe a topper on the circular one...but i have NO idea how to decorate the two sheets. My FSIL thought it'd be cute to maybe do a chocolate one that said MR and a vanilla one that said MRS...but i'm not sure if that'd be tacky? I mean...sheet cakes really aren't all that wedding popular anyways...

Any ideas?

Re: Cake Decor'

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about just using the sheet cakes to serve and have a small 1 or 2 tiered cake to display and use for the cake cutting?  I think that's what I would do.  It could just be plain with your topper and on a nice cake stand and that should be plenty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Stephie. That's what I was thinking as I was reading through.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... you could do a "brides" sheet cake with the round one on a tier similar to this and the other sheet could be a grooms cake?  I know you can buy those tier stands at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores pretty cheaply.

Or this one was pretty I thought:

• Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm...we could do that. that way i wouldnt have to worry about decorating the sheets. honestly i dont think the crowd of people is going to care one way or another....but sadly....i do

ETA: Tiffany do you know how sturdy those tiers are? they kinda scare me lol :) that's the last thing i want is to put the cake together wrong and it go tumbling down
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like Steph's idea.  It would be must less cluttered and more sophisticated. You could decorate the table to add some extra pizzazz.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:05ac3ec4-f526-4931-bc5c-d18a16a3920aPost:3f3babe7-934b-4a33-ac00-e2ef2568dffd">Re: Cake Decor'</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like Steph's idea.  It would be must less cluttered and more sophisticated. You could decorate the table to add some extra pizzazz.
    Posted by balfour00[/QUOTE]

yeah i like that idea. sadly the reason why this problem occured is because we cut the budget for cake down so we could bump the budget for food and drinks up....i think the guests would prefer it that way anyways :) cake is really just dessert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Food and drinks always trump cake in my opinion! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

IMO a nice small cake on display is more elegant than sheet cakes.  Cut  the sheet cakes in the back and have them served at the tables and just use your pretty round cake for pictures and cake cutting. You could add flower petals, your topper, have votives around it --it would look nice I think.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:05ac3ec4-f526-4931-bc5c-d18a16a3920aPost:3f4c23cb-f3b5-405b-9b28-39fdc019f05d">Re: Cake Decor'</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMO a nice small cake on display is more elegant than sheet cakes.  Cut  the sheet cakes in the back and have them served at the tables and just use your pretty round cake for pictures and cake cutting. You could add flower petals, your topper, have votives around it --it would look nice I think.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

flower petals and votives....you're my hero steph! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Henk's Black Forest Bakery for my groom and bridal cake and spent $250.00 total.  Everyone at the wedding thought the cake tasted delicious and I was able to bring in a picture of what I wanted decoration wise and they did it.  Just a thought!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:05ac3ec4-f526-4931-bc5c-d18a16a3920aPost:3f4c23cb-f3b5-405b-9b28-39fdc019f05d">Re: Cake Decor'</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMO a nice small cake on display is more elegant than sheet cakes.  Cut  the sheet cakes in the back and have them served at the tables and just use your pretty round cake for pictures and cake cutting. You could add flower petals, your topper, have votives around it --it would look nice I think.

<div>Perfect advice!</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:05ac3ec4-f526-4931-bc5c-d18a16a3920aPost:3df410a8-0dfb-4b1b-8239-74ef6722c9af">Re: Cake Decor'</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Henk's Black Forest Bakery for my groom and bridal cake and spent $250.00 total.  Everyone at the wedding thought the cake tasted delicious and I was able to bring in a picture of what I wanted decoration wise and they did it.  Just a thought!
    Posted by cc1019[/QUOTE]

Well what set off the choosing of our "bakery" is that FI hates cake...i'm not a huge fan of it myself...

we're doing ice cream cake...

i know...how traditional is that!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i wonder if i could do a Dummy bottom tier....

hmmmm...

i do like this though:

it's my new inspiration :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Will your bakery do one for you?  It will cost a little more but shouldn't be too much as long as the design is simple.  Our bottom tier was fake, as was the top.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:05ac3ec4-f526-4931-bc5c-d18a16a3920aPost:41e4961f-73db-45e3-8c0e-2ade9cfcf49e">Re: Cake Decor'</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will your bakery do one for you?  It will cost a little more but shouldn't be too much as long as the design is simple.  Our bottom tier was fake, as was the top.

i'm not sure. i'll have to ask. but if anything we'll just make one of the sheet cakes a size smaller and purchase a second small tier. we can maybe add a little to the budget, but i'd like to keep it at what i have now. that way we can have more room to play with catering. this could also all change once we get a more solid number of guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, that's true--our cake ended up being WAAYYY too big.  I was going to change it but MIL had already paid for it early so I just let it go.  It was ridiculous how much cake we had.

It will be pretty, don't worry!  :)
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had two fake tiers on our cake so I'm sure they could do one for you. 
  • Options
    Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have a space between the two cakes you could put flowers in the space and on top of the smaller cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards