Nebraska-Omaha

Dress shopping

My wedding is June 2 and I haven't even walked into a dress shop yet.  I live in Omaha now, but haven't for that long.  Any suggestions of places to check out and/or places to avoid?  We can travel to Lincoln, but I don't know about any further of a drive than that.  Most of the people that will go shopping with me will be from out of town (OK, MO, MA).

Re: Dress shopping

• edited December 2011
    I have heard horror stories up that wazoo about Suburban bridal (there are multiple locations- the one out west seems ok) so I avoided the place.  I went to Bridal Traditions- the place to go for Maggie dresses- they have a rack dedicatted.  They were a bit over priced, but helpful.  I wish I had checked out Ellyne's bridal- tehy ahve some neat stuff!

I ended up getting my dress from Bridal Details- most ppl do not like that you buy the dresses off the rack there but the majority of the dresses are one of a kind- the ones that are not you can order.  I got my dress for $600 - ball gown one of a kind- stunning.  The owner seems a bit pushy- but she is just eager to please and help out.  She is actually very good to work with. They are on 84th and Hascall.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone Visit Omaha.Weddings.com Visit Sports.weddings.com
  • edited December 2011
    I would not bring more than one or two people with you honestly.

But places I reccommend are:

Bridal Traditions in Omaha (I got my dress there)
    They have this nice discount rack for their samples or cancelled orders. They have dresses anywhere from $300-$1800 I would say then the discounted ones are usually half off of the original price.

Nebraska Bridal Outlet in Wahoo, NE
    This place is awesome. The have almost everything $400 or cheaper. They are so nice and sweet and have dresses you can order and dresses off the rack. Right now they have several David Tutera dresses and some discontinued Disney Princess dresses as well as some other cool ones. My best friend got her dress there. Also they have bridesmaid dresses too.

Bridal Gown Outlet - Lincoln, NE
    I loved this place. I found a dress I really liked there last year. The ladies at the shop were super helpful and pulling gowns that were similar that we must have missed. It was a nice experience. It wasn't anything fancy but it was affordable and very nice.

Lots of people on here say not to go to Suburban Bridal because of the people there being terrible. They also say not to go to Bridal Details for the same reason. The people are rude, they mess up orders and the customer service is terrible. After you buy a dress they could care less about you. We went to Davids Bridal for our bridesmaids dresses for my bestfriends weddings and had a TERRIBLE experience there. The lady ignored us and would not help us then at the end said "If you would have made an appointment we wouldn't have had any issues" to which my bestfriend responded "We DID make an appointment two weeks ago and they asked us if we were the party of 4 when we walked in". She had to keep me from being a b!tch to her because I was about to mouth off. Horrible in every single way. DO. NOT. GO. THERE!

When you go Bring:
    Bottle of Cold Water
    Deodorant
    Strapless Bra
    Underwear that Covers!

Make sure you have some idea of what you want to try on. However, do go outside your limits. Try something different on. I went COMPLETELY different then what I wanted and tried on at 6 different stores.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska-omaha_dress-shopping-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:79Discussion:9c7bd635-cd74-4903-a642-a8ab54c36739Post:41f6dfae-49b5-49b4-bf84-9c13973f0623">Re: Dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have heard horror stories up that wazoo about Suburban bridal (there are multiple locations- the one out west seems ok) so I avoided the place.  I went to Bridal Traditions- the place to go for Maggie dresses- they have a rack dedicatted.  They were a bit over priced, but helpful.  I<strong> wish I had checked out Ellyne's bridal- tehy ahve some neat stuff!</strong> I ended up getting my dress from Bridal Details- most ppl do not like that you buy the dresses off the rack there but the majority of the dresses are one of a kind- the ones that are not you can order.  I got my dress for $600 - ball gown one of a kind- stunning.  The owner seems a bit pushy- but she is just eager to please and help out.  She is actually very good to work with. They are on 84th and Hascall.
    Posted by kymo21[/QUOTE]

I hated that place. They were terrible. The customer service was the worst. I asked for our consultant 3 times before I just laced the dress up myself and then the other person came back and said "Oh, I can't find her, I guess you are out of luck" and then left us. She then came back after we tried on 10 dresses and said "Oh, did you like one, I can get you a card that you can write it on!" and then we waited for 10 minutes and she never came back. The prices were very HIGH too for the place. They have a variety but it isn't worth the headach.

• edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Bridal Traditions. I found my dress there and it was a very fun experience. Agree to bring water and deodorant--they have lights in the fitting room that increase the temp in the room a ton. It's the only place I went  so I can't recommend anywhere else. I would definitely go as soon as you can because it can take anywhere from 6-12 months for a wedding dress to come in, plus you need to factor in alterations. 
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend checking out Black Tie White Satin in Fremont. It's worth the short drive. They have a great selection, and the sales ladies are very nice without being pushy. If you go during the week, it likely will not be very busy. I went multiple times during the week, and I was the only one in the store. It does get busy on the weekends and during prom season, though. I also like that they charge a flat rate for alterations. When I got my dress (a year ago), I believe it was $149 for anything that needed altering. I've heard horror stories of people spending $300+ on alterations at places like David's Bridal. Good luck and have fun!
  • edited December 2011

I recommend Azurite Bridal in Lincoln. The lady is very nice, does the alterations and is very attentive.

We went to Ellynne Bridal (Lincoln) and the Bridal Outlet, also in Lincoln, but it left much to be desired with the staff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Suburban Bridal-a bunch of biotches in there! VERY RUDE people! Don't even bother. 

Bridal Details- SEE ABOVE

Bridal Outlet in Wahoo-worthless drive for me. NOTHING in my size. All old-fashioned dresses. 

Bridal Traditions-Very nice girls. Lots of dresses. Shipping prices are ridiculous. Alterations prices ridiculous. Where I found my dress. 

BTWS in Fremont-Very nice ladies. Where I bought my dress. No shipping prices. Alterations-$39. SCORE!
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Bridal Traditions - this was by far the best dress shopping experience I had. I ended up buying my dress and bridesmaids dresses there. They were easy to work with, but pricey for the dress. The alterations lady is wonderful and very well-priced for alterations.

David's Bridal - I hated the Omaha location experience. I did not feel "special" even though we had an appointment. I felt like they were pressuring me to buy as well. I also didn't care for the dress selection.

Ellynne's (Lincoln) - I did not feel comfortable in this store and left after trying 2 dresses. But they have beautiful gowns!
  • edited December 2011
    In the last year Von Maur has come out with a line of unique beautiful bridal gowns at a great price. They have been working the trade shows and they are modern and unique. I get sick of seeing the same dress on so many brides.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska-omaha_dress-shopping-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:79Discussion:9c7bd635-cd74-4903-a642-a8ab54c36739Post:cc2cef74-8e09-42f9-85ea-46a07aa3a839">Re: Dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the last year Von Maur has come out with a line of unique beautiful bridal gowns at a great price. They have been working the trade shows and they are modern and unique. I get sick of seeing the same dress on so many brides.
    Posted by CapturedByTree[/QUOTE]
    We looked at their dresses and they were kind of expensive considering the fact that it was a department store. I think the dresses were between $700-$1200 and they only had about 4-5 when we went.

• edited December 2011
    I went several places, but in the end, I ended up back at Bridal Traditions. The staff there were VERY helpful, listened to what I wanted in a dress, and helped me find that in a style that fit my body type. I was VERY pleased with my experience. Linda even suggested how I could find a slip for under my dress without purchasing a new one (even though they sell them).
  • edited December 2011
    Did you find anything? Just curious.

• edited December 2011
    I made a spread sheet of all the places and comments (b/c I make spread sheets for everything).  I'm going to scout out some places this week, then we are going shopping the weekend of Nov 5-6.  Thanks for all the help!

Anyone know anythinga bout Alfred Angelo in Lincoln?
  • edited December 2011
    We went to the Alfred Angelo in Lincoln and it was really nice. Our bridal consultant was extremely helpful. The rooms are a little on the small side. It is nice that they have pretty much all of the Alfred Angelo dresses and you can go online and pick the dresses you want ahead of time. They have a lot of different sizes in their dresses too so that was nice. I also LOVE the disney dresses they have. So much fun to try on. I always thought I wanted one until I tried them on. The princess frog dress looked pretty sweeet. :-)

Hope that helps.

(Apparently I went to way too many dress shops between my best friend and I)

• edited December 2011
    I live in Denver, but shopped for my dress in Nebraska.  I went to Bridal Traditions, Suburban and Ellynne's.  I found two dresses in Omaha that I loved, but when I went to Ellynne and found a dress that I really liked.....that was 1500 less than the two in Omaha....I went with Ellynne.  The owner is very sweet and helpful.  I did think Bridal Traditions had better customer service than Suburban.  I was in love with BT's paloma blanca line.  Suburban had some beautiful vera wang knockoffs that were great, too. 
  • edited December 2011
    I actually started my dress shopping this weekend because I was going to be at David's Bridal picking out my BM dress for an upcoming wedding I am in. I figured I might as well just try some dresses on to see what looked good and really did not have high expectations based on all the other reviews. I set up an appointment and was placed with a girl named Brooke. I was her only client and she was AMAZING!!!! She is newer and really sweet and fun...everything I would hope a consultant would be. She had me try on some dresses I didnt think I would like and ended up finding THE ONE out of those. I am still going to check out BTWS in Fremont and Bridal Traditions in a couple of weeks but just wanted to make sure that if someone is in fact going to David's Bridal, definitely try to have Brooke as your consultant. One other girl was trying on dresses near me and didnt seem to be having the best experience...seemed like her consultant was pushy but who knows? Brooke was great and I highly recommend her if you visit DB to try on any dresses!

(sorry for being long-winded)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska-omaha_dress-shopping-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:79Discussion:9c7bd635-cd74-4903-a642-a8ab54c36739Post:a540206a-aa00-4b44-b1fd-03a6ee6aee40">Re: Dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress shopping : I hated that place. They were terrible. <strong>The customer service was the worst. I asked for our consultant 3 times before I just laced the dress up myself and then the other person came back and said "Oh, I can't find her, I guess you are out of luck" and then left us. She then came back after we tried on 10 dresses and said "Oh, did you like one, I can get you a card that you can write it on!"</strong> and then we waited for 10 minutes and she never came back. The prices were very HIGH too for the place. They have a variety but it isn't worth the headach.
    Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE]

Really? Good to know! My mom was thinking of going there to get her dress.. In any case it is all about who you get.  My FSIL and I had a GREAT expeirience at Bridal Details and unlike any of the other shops- the owner remembers us- by name too.  So dont know.  And IDK who said anything about ordering dresses from them- but with very few (we saw about 4 and we were told that was high for them) exceptions you cannot order dresses with Bridal Details.  They are all non-orderable dresses.

Bridal Traditions was ok just WAY overpriced.  We had much of the same "I'll be right back"  only to have them disappear for about 30 minutes on us.  DB has done that too.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone Visit Omaha.Weddings.com Visit Sports.weddings.com
  • andomin22andomin22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The place I got my dress is Bridal Details on 84th and Hascall (near Center) by Mangelsens and across from The Cake Gallery. I bought my dress right off the rack!! Margie is the lady I talked to, and she was very helpful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards