Honeymoon Discussions

A bit overwhelmed...

I am totally at a loss when it comes to trying to narrow down a place for our honeymoon. We will be leaving the Monday after we get married to Saturday, so 5 nights. We do not have a very large budget (only around $1,500-$2,000 for the hotel accomodations). We would like to stay in an all-inclusive resort. We will be traveling at the end of October, so I would like to avoid places that might be in the path of a hurricane. I have looked at some places in Mexico...but have heard a lot about timeshare pushing (I would really like to not have to feel guilty on the first day of my honeymoon). Any ideas on places to go!?! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you!!!

Re: A bit overwhelmed...

• When we went to Mexico in September we didn't run into any people trying to push time shares. I heard that there were a lot of people that do that at the airport but we didn't run into any of them. We just walked straight out and found out designated 'shuttle' and we were on our way. I think for all inclusive in your budget your best bet would be Mexico. It is hurricane season but your chances of being there during a hurricane are slim to none. Just get hurricane insurance. We loved going there at the end of September during hurricane season because it wasn't nearly as crowded, we got a lot more personalized attention and there weren't a million people around. It only rained once for about 45 minutes and that was it. Gorgeous the rest of the time.
    We did all of our pricing research on AllInclusiveOutlet.com and found the best resort for us and then ended up booking through a local travel agent. I liked doing the pricing on there because you can select your exact city and the dates. A lot of websites will say "Mexico Vacation $399 for 5 nights!" and really it ends up being twice that because of your dates and departing city.
    One thing about traveling though is there is always going to be someone pushing you to buy something. Everywhere I have went there has been someone trying to sell something from the shop keepers on 5th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen to the Sales People outside of the Eiffel Tower trying to sell little replica's. They can be pushy so being able to cut someone off and just say No Thank You forcefully can be very helpful.

• Cove Haven resorts in PA are all inclusive- right now for 5 nights in one of their top all inclusive packages, it's 2200+ tax etc. It's not tropical or anything, but I'm sure you can drive and save on travel (about 3 hrs west of Hartford). Never been, but I've heard nice things- they have jacuzzis that look like champagne glasses :)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • *If* you get asked about timeshares in Mexico, it will literally be as you're walking out of the airport.  Just ignore and keep walking; it's maybe 30 seconds of your life and not something you should feel guilty for.

That being said, I've been to Rivieria Maya twice in October with beautiful and sunny weather the whole trip.  Just buy trip insurance that covers weather incase there is a hurricane.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_a-bit-overwhelmed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:405cae28-a8b6-426b-914a-297b19101af0Post:3863f802-044f-4167-8261-f1a5b00cca61">Re: A bit overwhelmed...</a>:
    [QUOTE]*If* you get asked about timeshares in Mexico, it will literally be as you're walking out of the airport.  Just ignore and keep walking; it's maybe 30 seconds of your life and not something you should feel guilty for. That being said, I've been to Rivieria Maya twice in October with beautiful and sunny weather the whole trip.  Just buy trip insurance that covers weather incase there is a hurricane.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>Any particular place you would reccommend? </div>
  • When timeshare people get pushy, I gaze at them sweetly & lie:  "Oh I'd love to but we talked to somebody yesterday & after we got done with everything they said we didn't qualify financially."  Most will RUN away from you. 
  • We don't even talk to the timeshare people.

I haven't stayed in Cancun, but for Rivieria Maya, I'd recommend Secrets Maroma Beach, Secrets Capri (Playa Del Carmen), Iberostar Grand Paraisio and Excellence Playa Mujeres
  • Have you considered the DR? Depending on where you are flying from it can be super affordable. We stayed at an all-inclusive called Lifestyles. Had an awsome vacation. Great because it had quiet areas as well as bars and clubs. We even went waterfalling. This is the site we went through. They were great.
    http://www.lifestyleholidaysvacation.com/
    Tell them Kathleen sent you. They should remember us since our trip was not that long ago. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards