Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

music HELP!!

Need you advice, esp OMH's!! Songs that are crowd pleasing must haves (we like to dance) and ones that should og on the do not play list.

Re: music HELP!!

• Hmmm...my wedding was 3 years ago so not sure how much help I'll be.  It also depends on your crowd.  I put alot of Top 40 dance songs on my playlist--stuff that was popular at the time, but Glenn ended up playing an oldies mix that was probably the most popular.  This is where a good DJ comes in handy--they will see what is working and what isn't.

I didn't want any of the traditional line dance songs, Macarana, Shout, Cupid Shuffle, etc.  Although the Cupid Shuffle is really popular at all the weddings I have gone to.  If I was getting married now I would also leave off Gangum Style, Harlem shake, etc.
  • I saw a GREAT band at The Gaylord last year. They kept the dance floor packed! Here's their website: http://www.emeraldcityband.com/html/content_page.php?content_id=30&nav_id=17

I'm not suggesting you book the band but they have a pretty comprehensive songlist on the website that would be a great place to start.
  • Emerald City is awesome and way out of budget. WE have a DJ wedding is in 17 days. I will look at the song list though, thanks for the link, super helpful!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_music-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c5e0b3d2-ffbc-4bb5-8f5e-e0591e7c851ePost:7c2e1a24-2e20-44b2-b322-53807ae41a2c">Re: music HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw a GREAT band at The Gaylord last year. They kept the dance floor packed! Here's their website: <a href="http://www.emeraldcityband.com/html/content_page.php?content_id=30&nav_id=17" rel="nofollow">http://www.emeraldcityband.com/html/content_page.php?content_id=30&nav_id=17</a> I'm not suggesting you book the band but they have a pretty comprehensive songlist on the website that would be a great place to start.
    Posted by NiceGirlNTX[/QUOTE]
  • Im thinking Top 40s will be good and also no to all the cheesy dance songs. Although you are right the Cupid Shuffle gets me everytime. There's something about that song that when you hear it after a couple drinks it all of a sudden become the best song in the world and you MUST get our there and dance...haha

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_music-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c5e0b3d2-ffbc-4bb5-8f5e-e0591e7c851ePost:6fadfca0-f0c5-47b5-81f5-1cb749ba9ee6">Re: music HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm...my wedding was 3 years ago so not sure how much help I'll be.  It also depends on your crowd.  I put alot of Top 40 dance songs on my playlist--stuff that was popular at the time, but Glenn ended up playing an oldies mix that was probably the most popular.  This is where a good DJ comes in handy--they will see what is working and what isn't. I didn't want any of the traditional line dance songs, Macarana, Shout, Cupid Shuffle, etc.  Although the Cupid Shuffle is really popular at all the weddings I have gone to.  If I was getting married now I would also leave off Gangum Style, Harlem shake, etc.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]
  • Shout was really successful at our wedding, so I loved it.

Our do not play list:
    Chicken Dance
    Macarena + other line dances (I despise Cupid Shuffle, actually)
    Katy Perry

Some big hits:
    Old Time Rock n' Roll
    Forever and Ever (Randy Travis)
    Your Man (Josh Turner)
    SIL requested a Garth Brooks song which has just this moment escaped me and she and BIL did the most insane two-step I've ever seen.
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Party in the USA
    Billie Jean (everyone formed a circle and we had a good old fashioned dance-off)
    Suavemente

I really can't remember all of them, unfortunately.  We danced a TON, though.

I will say this:
    Try not to give your DJ too many restrictions or "MUST PLAYS."  We had those songs I listed on our Do Not Play list, and maybe three-four songs on the "Must Play."  The DJ also had a list called "Play If Possible," and we put about 20 songs on there.  When you give the DJ a huge list of "Must-Plays," it means he MUST play them, which means it's more difficult for him to just respond to the mood of the crowd by playing what fits in that moment.  If you've hired a good DJ and give him a good rundown of your tastes, he'll be able to figure out what to play -- that's his job.  =)
    Anniversary

• Good ones at ours:

Opened up dance floor to "Let's Dance" by Lady Gaga (my request)
    Last guest dance of the night,"Stay With You" by John Legend (my request)
    "H*nky Tonk Woman"--even my grandmother was dancing to that one
    "The Way You Look Tonight" -- married couples dance that Glenn threw in
    The "old school mix":  "Shake your Groove Thing," "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," "Boogie Shoes," etc.

Stuff like Pitbull and BEP didn't go over with my older crowd.  I also requested no country music.
  • Great advice, thank you!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_music-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c5e0b3d2-ffbc-4bb5-8f5e-e0591e7c851ePost:c2365009-94c2-451c-a4cc-840b9c751a26">Re: music HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shout was really successful at our wedding, so I loved it. Our do not play list: Chicken Dance Macarena + other line dances (I despise Cupid Shuffle, actually) Katy Perry Some big hits: Old Time Rock n' Roll Forever and Ever (Randy Travis) Your Man (Josh Turner) SIL requested a Garth Brooks song which has just this moment escaped me and she and BIL did the most insane two-step I've ever seen. Don't Stop Believin' Party in the USA Billie Jean (everyone formed a circle and we had a good old fashioned dance-off) Suavemente I really can't remember all of them, unfortunately.  We danced a TON, though. I will say this: Try not to give your DJ too many restrictions or "MUST PLAYS."  We had those songs I listed on our Do Not Play list, and maybe three-four songs on the "Must Play."  The DJ also had a list called "Play If Possible," and we put about 20 songs on there.  When you give the DJ a huge list of "Must-Plays," it means he MUST play them, which means it's more difficult for him to just respond to the mood of the crowd by playing what fits in that moment.  If you've hired a good DJ and give him a good rundown of your tastes, he'll be able to figure out what to play -- that's his job.  =)
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]
  • J and I had a few must plays, and I was very glad we suggested them to our DJ, because he didn't have them in his music library and he had time to get the songs before the wedding. Our do not play list was lengthy. There is a post (gosh, probably from 2 years ago) where we all talked about our DNP lists. I'll see if I can track that down because IIRC it was pretty funny.

We had a pretty diverse but energetic crowd, so our guest requests ranged from Frank Sinatra to Backstreet Boys. As much as I despise him IRL, Chris Brown's 'Forever' was the last song of the night, and I seriously can't listen to it now without getting teary eyed. Your DJ will probably have a lot of ideas to get the crowd going, and will be able to read the crowd to keep them on the dance floor.
  • Found it! LINK

I will admit to breaking our own 'do not play' rules by allowing BSB. My sister requested 'Teach me how to Dougie' to break the rap/hip-hop rule, but the DJ actually came out to the dance floor to clear it with me first.
  • AWESOME!! Thank you

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_music-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c5e0b3d2-ffbc-4bb5-8f5e-e0591e7c851ePost:46336c9a-1494-41bc-9e33-e53d30118c7c">Re: music HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Found it! LINK I will admit to breaking our own 'do not play' rules by allowing BSB. My sister requested 'Teach me how to Dougie' to break the rap/hip-hop rule, but the DJ actually came out to the dance floor to clear it with me first.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]
  • AWESOME!! Thank you

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_music-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c5e0b3d2-ffbc-4bb5-8f5e-e0591e7c851ePost:46336c9a-1494-41bc-9e33-e53d30118c7c">Re: music HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Found it! LINK I will admit to breaking our own 'do not play' rules by allowing BSB. My sister requested 'Teach me how to Dougie' to break the rap/hip-hop rule, but the DJ actually came out to the dance floor to clear it with me first.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards