Registry and Gift Forum

Re: .

• I don't think it's offensive, as long as your registry has gifts at different price points, like you said.   People don't HAVE to buy what you register for, and are really under no obligation to spend more money than they feel comfortable spending.  And like you said, a lot of people do group gifts.   
    DSC_9275
  • I think it is fine to have expensive items mixed in with lower priced items. For example, I registered for a wine fridge, a Kitchenaid mixer, and a Dyson.

That being said, holy expensive bar glasses Batman! I might side eye yours just because it is so expensive for one bar glass. People will probably look for something where they can get more bang for their $50 bucks than just one bar glass. But I would not be offended.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • As long as you have a range of prices for your registry items you'll be fine.  If they don't want to spend that much, they woun't. Also some people go in on gifts together. I want a $500 Dyson.  I'm hoping that a few people will get together and buy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:46833096-54e3-4eee-854c-fda38e517052">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's too expensive.  The worst that would happen is no one would buy it.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.<div>
    </div><div>Registries are supposed to have a mixture of price ranges that way people have plenty to choose from. If no one gets it, use your completion discount to get it later!</div>
  • I agree - I have everything from a $2.00 timer up to a $600 dollar piece of furniture. I was careful to select a wide range of items in every price point. While I certainly don't expect anyone to get me the $600 piece of furniture, I might have a few people who might want to go in on something nicer for me and might get that, so I figured I'd put it on the list.  And if no one gets it, I can use my completion certificate on it :)
  • We registered for everything we needed starting from chip clips to a $500 Dyson vacuum.  Give your guests a mixture of options, and remember whatever you put on your registry and don't get you get a 10%-20% discount on them after the wedding :o)
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:46833096-54e3-4eee-854c-fda38e517052">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's too expensive.  The worst that would happen is no one would buy it.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what I thought, but when people started making comments about the price of certain items I started getting worried.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks, everyone!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:5d48dbbe-8505-4b71-beb9-f8751c8e2c8d">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is fine to have expensive items mixed in with lower priced items. For example, I registered for a wine fridge, a Kitchenaid mixer, and a Dyson. That being said, <strong>holy expensive bar glasses Batman</strong>! I might side eye yours just because it is so expensive for one bar glass. People will probably look for something where they can get more bang for their $50 bucks than just one bar glass. But I would not be offended.
    Posted by Juris11[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, I know! They're made by Simon Pearce, it's a brand of handblown glass. I've always loved them, they're just beautiful (which I don't normally say about barware :)   )</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:bf36fa91-949e-4f15-8eaf-1feca0dec292">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expensive registry items? : This is exactly what I thought, but when people started making comments about the price of certain items I started getting worried. Thanks, everyone!
    Posted by cebrady89[/QUOTE]
    Someone will always have something to say. Even my MOH was trying to deter me from registering at a certain store because it was expensive to her. Thing is, it's expensive TO HER...not necessarily anyone else. There will always be people who think things are too expensive or too cheap. Don't change your plans just because of those people.
  • We had some people complain that there were a lot of expensive items on our list so I went to revise it and I found we had more things under $40 then over...people are weird.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I wouldn't worry about the opinion of whoever made the comment if you guys are in love with the glasses.  You're OK as long as you're understanding that people may want to stretch their dollar further by choosing some of the other items on your registry.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • A good friend had wine glasses on her registry that were $30 each. "Offended" may be the wrong word, but I was unpleasantly surprised. I don't remember the other details of her BB&B registry (her only one), but I do remember that everything left on it (and this was several weeks before the wedding and/or shower) was either altogether out of my price range, ugly, or similarly over-priced to my mind. Since I don't like giving cash or gift-cards or things that don't match my tastes (I usually give cookware or linens, where taste is less of an issue), I got her off-registry gifts (monogrammed, but thus much I know better now).

I think I'm unusual though. Even her not sending a thank-you was not a friendship-ender, either.
  • I don't understand people who don't buy something off a registry because they think it's ugly. It's for someone who thinks it's beautiful so why should that matter? What if she thinks your taste is ugly? We all have differed tastes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:92a41be1-81d0-4230-952b-56b2d0c5b028">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as you have a range of prices for your registry items you'll be fine.  If they don't want to spend that much, they woun't. Also some people go in on gifts together. <strong>I want a $500 Dyson.</strong>  I'm hoping that a few people will get together and buy it.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Me too! It's one of my "expensive" items, along with some $100 desks and a $450 curio. I'm thinking of taking the curio off...and hoping for the Dyson instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think it's offensive. But I think some guests might feel its.. greedy? I guess it just depends on what type of a family you come from and what your social group is like. My family would look at that and think I'm out of my mind. That much for a glass is a little outrageous. Also, if you don't think you have a good chance of getting the amount of them that you want, it may be best to skip them. Especially if you and FI cant afford to buy the rest of them, then you'll just have an incomplete sense of glasses, which might I add I'd be afraid to even dirnk out of if I were a guest and knew the price, but to each their own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:df712f83-00f9-48bd-b23a-b738836194d5">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's offensive. But I think some guests might feel its.. greedy? I guess it just depends on what type of a family you come from and what your social group is like. My family would look at that and think I'm out of my mind. That much for a glass is a little outrageous. Also, if you don't think you have a good chance of getting the amount of them that you want, it may be best to skip them. Especially if you and FI cant afford to buy the rest of them, then you'll just have an incomplete sense of glasses, which might I add I'd be afraid to even dirnk out of if I were a guest and knew the price, but to each their own.
    Posted by Kokes28[/QUOTE]

<div>My fiance and I both come from more affluent backgrounds, so we weren't originally concerned with the price - it's something we'd be able to buy if the whole set wasn't given as a gift. I'm sure that we'd end up receiving each of the glasses, though, knowing our guests, but it was comments from a few of my friends (the younger crowd) who come from different backgrounds that got me wondering whether or not I should keep them on the registry. </div><div>
    </div><div>If people don't want to buy them, they don't have to...and I'm sure someone else will :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for all of your input, ladies!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:9ae4de7f-9ace-4010-aad5-faae17203bf3">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A good friend had wine glasses on her registry that were $30 each. "Offended" may be the wrong word, but I was unpleasantly surprised. I don't remember the other details of her BB&B registry (her only one), but I do remember that everything left on it (and this was several weeks before the wedding and/or shower) was either altogether out of my price range, ugly, or similarly over-priced to my mind. Since I don't like giving cash or gift-cards or things that don't match my tastes (I usually give cookware or linens, where taste is less of an issue), I got her off-registry gifts (monogrammed, but thus much I know better now). I think I'm unusual though. Even her not sending a thank-you was not a friendship-ender, either.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've run into the same situation where there's just nothing left on the registry...but my fiance and I pretty much need everything so I'm hoping we won't run into that type of situation. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I can't believe your friend never sent thank you notes! That's crazy.

</div>
  • I think just make sure that you have things that would make good gifts for your younger friends of different backgrounds to give, then. Because I wouldn't be comfortable giving you one glass or two glasses, or something that seemed cheap or a little lame (like three spatulas and a chip clip or something). Obviously you have a range of items, just make sure your cheaper items also make complete gifts.

My sister called me once freaking out because she was heading to a shower and the only things on the registry were really expensive ($200 gravy boats or $60 for one crystal glass) or wouldn't make a decent shower gift (measuring cups). We talked through it and she ended up adding some stuff to the measuring cups to make a gift, but she was younger (just out of college) and didn't know that it was okay to do that. Your friends might be thinking the same thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:f8289c1b-93bd-4d54-b4b6-115c6a7c0577">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think just make sure that you have things that would make good gifts for your younger friends of different backgrounds to give, then. Because I wouldn't be comfortable giving you one glass or two glasses, or something that seemed cheap or a little lame (like three spatulas and a chip clip or something). Obviously you have a range of items, just make sure your cheaper items also make complete gifts. My sister called me once freaking out because she was heading to a shower and the only things on the registry were really expensive ($200 gravy boats or $60 for one crystal glass) or wouldn't make a decent shower gift (measuring cups). We talked through it and she ended up adding some stuff to the measuring cups to make a gift, but she was younger (just out of college) and didn't know that it was okay to do that. Your friends might be thinking the same thing.
    Posted by LuluP82[/QUOTE]
    That happened to me a lot when I was in college. I always procrastinate & then end up with nothing left to buy in my price range. I'd get 1-2 little things & then add a gift card with it. No big deal. I'm sure others do the same.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:f8289c1b-93bd-4d54-b4b6-115c6a7c0577">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think just make sure that you have things that would make good gifts for your younger friends of different backgrounds to give, then. Because I wouldn't be comfortable giving you one glass or two glasses, or something that seemed cheap or a little lame (like three spatulas and a chip clip or something). Obviously you have a range of items, just make sure your cheaper items also make complete gifts. My sister called me once freaking out because she was heading to a shower and the only things on the registry were really expensive ($200 gravy boats or $60 for one crystal glass) or wouldn't make a decent shower gift (measuring cups). We talked through it and she ended up adding some stuff to the measuring cups to make a gift, but she was younger (just out of college) and didn't know that it was okay to do that. Your friends might be thinking the same thing.
    Posted by LuluP82[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh trust me, there's plenty of stuff on the registry that is affordable and would make a good shower gift (but really - I think anything on the registry would make a good gift considering I registered for it...haha). The more I look at my registry, I think my friends saw the price of one item but didn't look at how inexpensive many of the other items are - I'm sure once they actually purchase a gift, if they decide to, they'll have plenty of options.

</div>
  • Even gifts, I like shopping for things that are pretty. I'm just not going to put my money and energy towards something I think is ugly. It takes away the fun for me. With that one exception, which I acknowledge was inconsiderate, there's always been something else for me to choose.
  • My concern, at that price, would be that you wouldn't get the full set.  My cousin registered for really expensive china (way out of the price range of most family members) and ended up with like 2 and a half place settings or something like that.  If she had thought about it for two seconds, she would've realized her family would be put off by the expensive china - we all, in fact, intentionally bought her non-china, because it was so ridiculously priced.  How would you feel if you ended up with three bar glasses?  Would you be willing to spend your own money to complete the set?  I'm not saying don't register for them - I think it's perfectly fine - but if it's something you don't think your guests will be on board with, be prepared to end up completing the set yourself.  :-)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:39ed6cd3-648d-4933-abca-5cd247ef1ebc">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My concern, at that price, would be that you wouldn't get the full set.  My cousin registered for really expensive china (way out of the price range of most family members) and ended up with like 2 and a half place settings or something like that.  If she had thought about it for two seconds, she would've realized her family would be put off by the expensive china - we all, in fact, intentionally bought her non-china, because it was so ridiculously priced.  How would you feel if you ended up with three bar glasses?  Would you be willing to spend your own money to complete the set?  I'm not saying don't register for them - I think it's perfectly fine - but if it's something you don't think your guests will be on board with, be prepared to end up completing the set yourself.  :-)
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Only a few of my guests said they thought it was too pricey - knowing what others in my circle or in my family have registered for and received, I doubt that I won't get the full set. And if I don't, I'd be happy to buy them myself. :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:3fed5602-e040-47ab-9655-57d8698491e5">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expensive registry items? : Only a few of my guests said they thought it was too pricey - knowing what others in my circle or in my family have registered for and received, I doubt that I won't get the full set. <strong>And if I don't, I'd be happy to buy them myself. :)</strong>
    Posted by cebrady89[/QUOTE]

This is what I kept in mind while doing my registry - anything that is not finished will have to be comleted by me, out of my pocket.

But ditto the other pps. As long as there's items of different price points, it should  be fine. I think the most expensive thing we have on our list is a $500 cookware set. Everything else is below $150; a majority of it is around $50 or less.
    Anniversary
  • My FSIL registered for the entire Dots collection by Pampered Chef knowing that it was spendy (all pieces put together was about $800) and she may not get it. However, since it was something she really loved the entire family went together and she (they) got the entire set. Unfortunataly a week after they moved into their new apartment, her hubby knocked one of the glasses off the counter and shattered it into a million pieces...

Point of the story, register for what you love, people know that if it's on your registry you must love it and are more likely to buy it. I particulary like when the couple adds a note under the item saying why they want it and how they'll use it. That shows me how much they want it! I bought my friend a crystal gravy bowl after reading the note under it. She had one from her hubby's great great grandma and wanted one that looked identical to use and keep the real one safe. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought a 19yo a crystal gravy bowl. =P

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:795310d8-e555-488d-9bae-29f80debb2d8Post:ccd8c9bb-f4e8-4bc2-a16e-4503a42dddd5">Re: Expensive registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FSIL registered for the entire Dots collection by Pampered Chef knowing that it was spendy (all pieces put together was about $800) and she may not get it. However, since it was something she really loved the entire family went together and she (they) got the entire set. Unfortunataly a week after they moved into their new apartment, her hubby knocked one of the glasses off the counter and shattered it into a million pieces... Point of the story, register for what you love, people know that if it's on your registry you must love it and are more likely to buy it. <strong>I particulary like when the couple adds a note under the item saying why they want it and how they'll use it. That shows me how much they want it! I bought my friend a crystal gravy bowl after reading the note under it. She had one from her hubby's great great grandma and wanted one that looked identical to use and keep the real one safe. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought a 19yo a crystal gravy bowl.</strong> =P
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I hadn't even thought about including why we registered for something! That will definitely be something I'm going to add on some of our registry items. :)

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards